River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

Floor plans only go up to floor 22, crap. It'll still be a good addition to the area, but I'm not nearly as excited as I was earlier. We just can't catch a break with these buildings. An increase in units plus reduction in height tells me this building will be pretty squat. If we lop off 50 ft to account for those 5 floors we'll get a 276 ft building. Not terrible, but far from 2nd tallest.

http://harborsedgerivertower.com/floor-plans.html

Bummer...with so much momentum regarding people moving to Norfolk, I wonder why they'd take off five stories? I wonder if they want Norfolk's tallest building to be downtown, and if that could be a sign of things to come?

Hopefully it doesn't alter the design too much.

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BFG said:

Bummer...with so much momentum regarding people moving to Norfolk, I wonder why they'd take off five stories? I wonder if they want Norfolk's tallest building to be downtown, and if that could be a sign of things to come?

Hopefully it doesn't alter the design too much.

That's what I'm most worried about, that design was very sleek and modern. This reduction may be a precursor to the use of cheaper materials and/or a less inspired design. As far as reductions go it's not the worst we've seen. Granby Tower (from 34 to 0), takes that cake. The Hilton reduction from 26 to 21 is about the same. I really thought this was going to be Norfolk's signature tower, now it's just another 20-story building. We sprout those things like weeds. :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vdogg said:

That's what I'm most worried about, that design was very sleek and modern. This reduction may be a precursor to the use of cheaper materials and/or a less inspired design. As far as reductions go it's not the worst we've seen. Granby Tower (from 34 to 0), takes that cake. The Hilton reduction from 26 to 21 is about the same. I really thought this was going to be Norfolk's signature tower, now it's just another 20-story building. We sprout those things like weeds. :lol:

On one hand, if downtown, Fort Norfolk and SPQ had a building boom of 22- to 25-story buildings, I'd be happy with the density. On the other hand, when I go to other cities and see buildings with double that height, it makes me realize we still look small time. Norfolk really needs to start looking at building 30 stories and up.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, BFG said:

Ugh. Was hoping for the 27 stories, but it's a start to more construction on that side of town. Interesting that that's now considered downtown.

According to the video the developer found a more "efficient" way to build it, which would account for a shorter building with a higher number of units. Sounds to me like this is a fancy way to say that they shrank the size of the apartments so they can pack people in like sardines all while paying less for the actual structure. Can't fault them for cost savings, but I wanted that extra 5 floors. Let's just hope the crown is really tall. I want a minimum 300 ft, though we're probably looking at closer to 280 now. I'll be following the planning process intensely.

Also I'm fairly certain EVMS is starting construction next year too. It'll be very nice to see these structures going up right across from eachother.

• Haha 1

The colloquial definition of Downtown is probably a bit different from what the city officially recognizes as Downtown. I know a lot of people that consider Freemason to be Downtown and I'm sure the same goes for Fort Norfolk/EVMS. I don't think the average person really cares too much about the official boundaries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Virginia City said:

Fort Norfolk is not considered Downtown, West Freemason isn't even considered Downtown. Everything from VB Blvd south to the water, St. Pauls on the east to Duke on the west. SPQ isn't Downtown but Neon is.

Official boundaries don't matter to the average person, the only place that really matters is when it comes to zoning and guidelines. While they may not be technically downtown, all the districts could easily be lumped together into a City Center label. Another thing to keep in mind is each of those places has their own identity and lumping them all into downtown simply takes away that identity.

• 2 months later...

I had not seen that video.   What a waste of time. 

Both of our councilpersons, the mayor, and the guy who wrote the 2 previous articles for the Virginian Pilot had never heard of this change as of Nov. 2017,  and this at such a time as the change had already been made some mos prior ....online. 

This video explains nothing. It's a crock of crap. Volder never responded to my email, nor did his marketing director.  

How you increase the per unit quare footage, increase the number of units, and simultaneously shrink the damned building by five whole stories is a great and intricate puzzle to me. It's going to be really fat and ugly. There's no way it's going to look the same as the rendering. The rendering has not changed, btw...so they are full of it.

More "efficient?"  How about "cheaper," how about not what they had promised for years, how about " squattier, fatter, uglier, crappier,  inferior and decidedly less cosmopolitan, ....nothing particularly special."  

And MY favorite, how about "no longer the proposed 'tallest residential building in Hampton roads.'"   Hey, that was their marketing plan, not mine. 

Also, they had indicated to a friend of mine last May that this thing was heading to a sell out & that ground would be broken eminently. Ground would've been broken two years ago according to them, as well. Heh. So again, another prevarication.  

Pretty soon they'll  be denying there ever was a 27th or a 26th,  or a 25th, or a 24th, or a 23rd floor.  

This is the side of developers, leasing agents and marketeers that I hate hate hate hate hate. PR spin and lying are frequently one and the same.  And there's a special place in hell for liars and the damned lies they tell. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With the addition of the roof structure the ICON is still second tallest, at about 314 ft. Gateway may surpass it with a few additional floors.  River Tower would’ve been 326 feet with its original height, but it’s probably about 276 ft now. 

• 2 months later...

(SIGH)

I hope the building still looks sleek and doesn’t become short and stubby, since they’re losing 5 floors but keeping the same number of units. 

Also hope that the next building proposed for downtown has at least 35-40 stories, so that when changes are proposed, it will be more like 28-35. <_<

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1