River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

Seeing all of the potential development in Fort Norfolk/Atlantic City and considering when the Elizabeth River trail is back up and running following the completion of the Midtown Tunnel, there's going to be a great deal of connectivity all the way from Downtown to Chelsea.

I'm afraid of this too. I can see them turning around to make this building try to fit in. 

Something that makes me a tad skeptical though is that the article still talks about there being 118 units in the building. 118 units over 27 floors is very, VERY few. IMO, either they have greatly expanded the number of units projected (which would be great news) or the idea of a 27 story tower is being floated to generate buzz. I just can't see the Return on Investment on barely 4 units per floor (on average). At 118 units, I can't see there being more than 20 stories (and probably closer than 16-18). Maybe I'm wrong. Or (hopefully) there has been a substantial increase in the number of units in the building.

That's around what they had in the previous building. And while that building is shorter it's also a lot fatter. I'm thinking it's probably more than 118 though.

That's an assanine argument of which I know you agree.  One of the charms of a downtown- old and new, big and small, diff arch. designs next to each other. 

Remember Freemason went from this to that.  I know height in the Freemason neighborhood was a issue, but still.  Norfolk has many examples of squashing unique (different) tower designs for the mundane.

image.jpg

Edited by metalman

I'm afraid of this too. I can see them turning around to make this building try to fit in. 

Something that makes me a tad skeptical though is that the article still talks about there being 118 units in the building. 118 units over 27 floors is very, VERY few. IMO, either they have greatly expanded the number of units projected (which would be great news) or the idea of a 27 story tower is being floated to generate buzz. I just can't see the Return on Investment on barely 4 units per floor (on average). At 118 units, I can't see there being more than 20 stories (and probably closer than 16-18). Maybe I'm wrong. Or (hopefully) there has been a substantial increase in the number of units in the building.

Wvec has posted a new video with more details. They said the project will be built in about 3 years. Hoping this means finished and not starting construction that would put groundbreaking in about a year, which sounds reasonable. Additionally, I think we've solved the height discrepancy. This will be a mixed use tower including shops and office space. This project will be partially a medical office tower, which accounts for the taller floor heights. This definitely looks to be a new tallest building for our city if everything goes right (please go right). Considering the height of that crown and the fact that this is part office, we may indeed approach 400 ft. The Bank of Hampton Roads building is 340 ft without that massive crown. That crown looks like the equivalent of 4-5 stories in height so maybe 390.

http://www.13newsnow.com/videos/news/local/mycity/norfolk/2015/07/28/30770801/

On a side note, it's amazing how supportive Norfolk residents are of new development in their city. I mean, the response is literally like night and day when compared to Va. Beach. Everyone is on board, including the guy who's building will get demolished in the footprint! In Va. Beach we'd been having full on protest. John Moss would be going on yet another long winded diatribe, and John t. Atkinson would be trying to put it to a referendum... <_<

• Like 2

On a side note, it's amazing how supportive Norfolk residents are of new development in their city. I mean, the response is literally like night and day when compared to Va. Beach. Everyone is on board, including the guy who's building will get demolished in the footprint! In Va. Beach we'd been having full on protest. John Moss would be going on yet another long winded diatribe, and John t. Atkinson would be trying to put it to a referendum... <_<

Ya got that right. As a resident of Virginia Beach myself, it's amazing the lack of vision and progress that some city leaders and many residents have. A small restaurant could open a mile away and residents would still whine that there are five extra cars a day on the main road outside of their neighborhood.

Edited by HRVT

• 2 months later...

in the link i provided, there a rendering i have never seen before of phase 2 but it only shows a portion of phase 2.  It shows in full a  rendering of  the current (completed) tower.  this is where you can find the pic in the link... Harbour's EDGE announcing Harbour's edge phase 2.  pic is on the right of the text

Edited by tallguy81"

This document is a year old, but has even more detailed renderings that fall in line with the ones posted above. Hopefully they haven't changed since then...

http://issuu.com/trentmatthias/docs/harbors_edge_-_professional_work_20

This rendering and the other posted above is contained in the link that "okinawatyphoon" posted on page 1 of this thread back in March. As far as I know, the computer generated renderings posted by WVEC and the Harbor's edge Facebook page Are the most recent ones. See link

https://www..com/harborsedgenorfolk/posts/293532970770784">Tuesday

Edited by vdogg

i figured, but i wanted to show how much taller this is compared to tower 1.  my guess 450ft.

I don't think it'll be anywhere near 450 ft. 400 ft perhaps, but I'm seeing about 350-375 ft. Still would be Norfolk's tallest.

At 27 stories, it would have one more floor than Dominion Tower.

tower 1 i read somewhere is 212ft. tall.  looking at the angle from the above pic., i will revise my guess and say 425ft.

I'd say that's reasonable. I guessed around 400, only because of that very high crown. Advertisement said 26 floors instead of 27. We'll have to see how that affects the height. If demand is high enough it may grow a few floors, hoping for 30. We're still a ways out but it's good to see an official advertisement. A website can't be far behind.

Just realized those dates are in the past. Anyone attend any of those meetings?

Can't wait to see Fort Norfolk start to take shape. Would love for that and Freemason to be incorporated into downtown, along with the Neon District, and eventually SPQ. That would create a significantly large downtown! 

Would also love to see a building like this on the old Granby Tower site. 

• 3 weeks later...