River Tower (Completed)

vdogg

15 hours ago, vdogg said:

That said, me and baobabs should go into business predicting architecture, cause damn if this thing isn't brick and glass.

:lol:

Comparing this to the original tower makes me want to cry.

LOL....Yes  we could take the art of architectural prognostication to new heights...and simultaneously frustrate the spinners and propagandandists in the development community!

As for the bldg, it's not bad ...but it's not good either ...and one will never be able to get the original outta one's head...and so the new project will always pale and underwhelm by comparison. Why can't they just take the brick away?  It adds nothing and looks like unnecessary adornment ...and an exact copy of the grid pattern (zzzzz) of the existing bldg.  Can't we get some actual creativity, please???

Edited by vdogg
Fixed quote tags.
  • Like 1

On a more positive note, I'm pretty sure this is supposed to break ground next month. That means it will be going up at the same time as the EVMS building. It has been a long time since we've seen simultaneous construction of highrises in this area. It'll be nice to see.

• 3 weeks later...

http://covabizmag.com/harbors-edge-reveals-updated-plans-for-140-million-river-tower-expansion/

“Clark Nexsen and W.M. Jordan Company have done a great job in transforming our initial conceptual design into a cost-effective and very efficient reality,” said Neil Volder, CEO and developer of Harbor’s Edge. “Based on their recommendations, we’ve been able to maintain the same square footage and number of units, and the building’s height will be up to 24 floors.”

River Tower will add 135 units to satisfy high demand, while the new building is expected to welcome its first residents in late 2020 after a 24-month construction period.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

http://covabizmag.com/harbors-edge-reveals-updated-plans-for-140-million-river-tower-expansion/

“Clark Nexsen and W.M. Jordan Company have done a great job in transforming our initial conceptual design into a cost-effective and very efficient reality,” said Neil Volder, CEO and developer of Harbor’s Edge. “Based on their recommendations, we’ve been able to maintain the same square footage and number of units, and the building’s height will be up to 24 floors.”

River Tower will add 135 units to satisfy high demand, while the new building is expected to welcome its first residents in late 2020 after a 24-month construction period.”

24 stories and approximately 270 feet is still a pretty solid development. Not the grand slam that it appeared to be initially (and it's common for developments to initially look like a grand slam before being downsized).... but IMO it's a solid two-run shot.

"building's height will be up to 24 floors?"

What does that mean? 

Hey all, I haven't posted on this site since 2012 (willy). I'm the (willy) that started "Norfolk Pictures" section in 2005. I've been viewing/following all the posts for many years...just never said anything. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Willy18 said:

What does that mean? 

Hey all, I haven't posted on this site since 2012 (willy). I'm the (willy) that started "Norfolk Pictures" section in 2005. I've been viewing/following all the posts for many years...just never said anything. 

Hey, willy!  Thx for that great thread and please post--often! We love new perspectives and fresh voices. We need more of u!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willy18 said:

What does that mean? 

It means it will be a 12 story building when it is done.

• Haha 2

I wouldn't read too much into that. It's made it to design review and ground should be broken in the next month or two. Up to 24 could just be an interesting way to say it but all the documents they've submitted call for a 24-story tower. I believe this is the final design.

6 hours ago, urbanlife said:

It means it will be a 12 story building when it is done.

Naughty, naughty. Haha. 

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

I wouldn't read too much into that. It's made it to design review and ground should be broken in the next month or two  to 24 could just be an interesting way to say it but all the documents they've submitted call for a 24-story tower. I believe this is the final design.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, metalman said:

I read that as, it was once below 24 floors, but now because of demand, it is now back up to 24 floors.

Precisely my take.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Willy18 said:

That's good news

Now if we can get someone to flatten the tires on the trucks that are gonna deliver all that BRICK!!! 

Wha? Dincha know that bricks are more "efficient"  (at doing...er... something) than glass?? ;) Just ask Neil Volder. I'm sure he'd agree!

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...