Tipsy Toad Tavern

Larry Spataro

Here is a question for you. The Tipsy Toad Tavern, which is on the south side of Western Avenue between Seventh St and Sixth St and shares a wall with the Eagles, wants to add a second story to their building. The builiding is in a historic distric and the expansion will require Historic District Commission approval. The building, sorry I don't have a picture, is a simple single story store front twenty feet wide with a brick facade and cinder block side exposed to the alley. The building was built in 1949.

The proposed second floor would be set back from the front by fourteen feet to allow outdoor seating in the summer. The front facade will be similar to the first floor. The problem is, they want to side the rest of the addition with vinyl siding. The State Historic Preservation Office standards state an addition should be of contrasting color and material to the original resource, so the original building remains distinct.

My concern is that vinyl siding just doesn't seem appropriate for a brick commercial building. Thoughts anyone? I'd like to hear your opinions.

Larry

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is a question for you. The Tipsy Toad Tavern, which is on the south side of Western Avenue between Seventh St and Sixth St and shares a wall with the Eagles, wants to add a second story to their building. The builiding is in a historic distric and the expansion will require Historic District Commission approval. The building, sorry I don't have a picture, is a simple single story store front twenty feet wide with a brick facade and cinder block side exposed to the alley. The building was built in 1949.

The proposed second floor would be set back from the front by fourteen feet to allow outdoor seating in the summer. The front facade will be similar to the first floor. The problem is, they want to side the rest of the addition with vinyl siding. The State Historic Preservation Office standards state an addition should be of contrasting color and material to the original resource, so the original building remains distinct.

My concern is that vinyl siding just doesn't seem appropriate for a brick commercial building. Thoughts anyone? I'd like to hear your opinions.

Larry

I live down the street in the Art Works and have been at the Tipsy Toad a few time, nice place. I think dinning on the rooftop would be exciting. But, I am very concerned about the appearance and vinyl siding is not acceptable. It would look tacky. Must agree with the Historic Preservation Office, 100% I will now find the picture of the Tipsy Toad and post it.

Archived