Downtown construction affecting local merchants

g-man430

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That guy is a moron. Here is my response to that which sort of fits in here (I posted on the Gville News site as well):

How do you think Greenville made it from its ugly 4-lane Main St to the attractive 2 lane one we know and love today? It didnt happen with out some disruption to businesses. People complain about this kind of thing, but they would complain more if there were failing infrastructure, and there would be public flogging of the government for their ineffectiveness. This is simply absolute proof that you can't make everyone happy.

^^^I totally agree. This guy thinks that maintenance work is not needed on our streets. Umm...hello without proper and updated maintenance work to sewer/water lines, who knows what could/would happen. It wouldn't be good though. I can guarantee you that.

That said, I'd take the word of a store owner downtown over most everyone here, as he sees his bottom line. The thread about the state of downtown retail really illustrates this. Lots of folks want something done about the state of downtown retail, yet when one retail owner gives an opinion (again, without the G'vill News fact - checking him), his opinion gets slammed. I'd be more inclined to listen to his opinion than folks without financial interests in the matter, i.e. just about all of us.

I see your point, but guys come on....what other city has given all that Greenville has given to be supportive of a downtown.....I mean really, free parking on the street, free parking in decks on weekends, immaculate landscaping, a beautiful tree canopy, fantastic wayfinder signing, great police protection, numerous city sponsored events to draw, great public areas, etc, etc, etc.....the list goes on. At some point, the local merchants have to take the ball and run with it....the city has given and continues to give MUCH more than most cities of comparable size or larger that I can think of. On the subject of this blasting for the sewer, that happens with growth. Is there any alternative?

I didn't say I agreed or disagreed with his point. But I am saying that I'd listen to his opinion on this long before most of us commenting on the state of downtown retail.

It would be sorta nice if the Greenville News or Journal or whomever actually did some investigative work into some things going on downtown, if they are stumbling blocks or cornerstones or a little of both.

Not every downtown retailer is yippy-skippy at the city's direction, and they should at least be heard.

I agree 100%. If there are issues that are below the surface, they need to be surfaced, and corrected. From all things I see (and I deal with many downtown businesses) the city has given 110%. I have had conversations with a few local owners that unfortunately has lead me to believe their is some "crybaby" issues going on with merchants though.

On this blasting issue, what else can be done? Remember the cries of Woodruff Road merchants when that road was being widened? Would they have rather it stayed two lane?

Do DT merchants really want the cities infrastructure to cease to grow and fall into disrepair?

Archived