Indianapolis Light Rail Transit

RestedTraveler

While recently researching Indianapolis (Fishers/Carmel, specifically), I looked into mass transit options. It appears that the IndyGo Bus System is pretty extensive; however, there is currently nothing else in place.

I've seen a few mentions online regarding Light Rail and I've found the Indianapolis Metropolitan Area Rapid Transit Study (PDF) online.

What is the latest on this proposal? Is it pretty much toast at this point, or does it still have life?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will work. Indianapolis seems like a place with one of the best demographics for LRT. It's a large city. But it has a dense core. I think that makes a big difference. Also the city is very trendy downtown and that makes a big difference. I see it happening.

I like that article. It talks alot about, the congestion on Indy roads. It's a sad truth that our suburban societ, are so hesitant to use things that could be better for the environment and traffic. Because face it, even with congestion, cars are still way easier to use.

I think that if the lightrail was put in, the downtown area would become a much less car dependant area, and a very pedestrian developed area, and before we know it, many sexy skyscrapers will be constructed and older townhomes will be popping up on surface lots and many restorations will occure. We have the building blocks, and we have the oppurtunity. If we have a link between the suburbs and downtown, less cars would be downtown, and so that equals less needs for parking lots, which means more parking lots would be used for pedestrian friendly development, which equals growth, growing economy, jobs, and more and more walking and biking would occure, and hopefully a trolley line. :D

Archived