Abuse of power?

MadVlad

So, now the Mayor is handing out Parking deals to his political supporters, just like the old days. Amazing how blatant he is getting. Unfortunately, this may actually get him another term. $1000 a month in rent? That lot probably brings in $15,000 a month, talk about a gravy train. How does that rent help the city at all? Answer it doesn't. Eddie is out for Eddie at this point, citizens of Hartford beware.....

Abuse of Power

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

"It (the contract) requires that Giles' company, G&G Enterprises Inc., pay the city $1,000 monthly rent in exchange for operating the 225-space lot at the corner of Main and Trumbull streets and cover all maintenance and utility costs. The contract does not require Giles to give the city a percentage of the proceeds. He currently charges $4 a day for parking, or $75 a month."

This quote doesn't account for event revenue either. You do the math. Unbelievable. This is not what the voting public had in mind when voting for a strong mayor. This move perpetuates the city's parking problems... something he was supposed to fix.

Perez just is not politically savvy. He is in over his head.

"It (the contract) requires that Giles' company, G&G Enterprises Inc., pay the city $1,000 monthly rent in exchange for operating the 225-space lot at the corner of Main and Trumbull streets and cover all maintenance and utility costs. The contract does not require Giles to give the city a percentage of the proceeds. He currently charges $4 a day for parking, or $75 a month."

This quote doesn't account for event revenue either. You do the math. Unbelievable. This is not what the voting public had in mind when voting for a strong mayor. This move perpetuates the city's parking problems... something he was supposed to fix.

Perez just is not politically savvy. He is in over his head.

Tycoon, I think that is exactly right. This system of government demands a different type of leader than Hartford has seen in a while. The Mayor now has real power. Misuse it and it is front page news. The old way of doing business cannot survive in an environment where the voters are watching closely.

$1000 a month rent. What a joke. If the city owns these lots, why doesn't the Hartford Parking Authority run them at the enormous profit they are capable of making? Why do people like Carlos Lopez and Abe Giles continue to stuff their pockets with these shady deals? Wasn't this supposed to be the purpose of the Hartford Parking Authority? To end all of this nonsense?

I'm surprised the Courant isn't crucifying Perez for this.

Seriously. My favorite part is the bit about Perez's administration saying it didn't realize the Parking Authority was interested.

Um, I mean, really?

It seems to me that to effectuate the purpose of the Parking Authority, the mayor's office shouldn't be waiting for them to express interest (which they did, incidentally) but handing the property off to them. "Hey guys, this is in your ball park right? This is what you do? Here's what we want to accomplish (flexibility in development), that ok? Great. Thanks."

• 2 weeks later...

So the Mayor is now trying to rescind the deal, acting like it's just common sense to do so. It actually is common sense, which begs to ask "where was the common sense when this deal was made, Eddie?" Too little too late, I hope he gets run out of office. Thurman Milner is going to run again, I'll make another post about that....

Read

So the Mayor is now trying to rescind the deal, acting like it's just common sense to do so. It actually is common sense, which begs to ask "where was the common sense when this deal was made, Eddie?" Too little too late, I hope he gets run out of office. Thurman Milner is going to run again, I'll make another post about that....

Read

• 2 weeks later...

This is all he can come up with? Get this half-wit outta there. Billboards are fugly.

Raising Money With Signs

Perez Floats Proposal For 4 to 6 Billboards To Fund Bus Shelters

By JEFFREY B. COHEN

Courant Staff Writer

March 6 2007

They are meant to send a message - buy a lottery ticket, come to the home show, eat at a restaurant, visit a sex shop. Mayor Eddie A. Perez is wondering whether there might be room to squeeze another half-dozen billboards between the city and a highway that runs through it.

Courant Article

This is all he can come up with? Get this half-wit outta there. Billboards are fugly.

Raising Money With Signs

Perez Floats Proposal For 4 to 6 Billboards To Fund Bus Shelters

By JEFFREY B. COHEN

Courant Staff Writer

March 6 2007

They are meant to send a message - buy a lottery ticket, come to the home show, eat at a restaurant, visit a sex shop. Mayor Eddie A. Perez is wondering whether there might be room to squeeze another half-dozen billboards between the city and a highway that runs through it.

Courant Article

Archived