New Urbanism

richyb83

Developers across the Capitol Region are rushing to build traditional neighborhood developments. Why have these mixed-use throwbacks become so popular?? Supporters of these TND's say the communities are a return to the way people used to live before WWII and the suburban sprawl made possible by widespread ownership of the automobile. Baton Rouge has traditionally been a city composed of suburban neighborhoods. Like the many any single-entrance subdivisions that line Highland Road.

The TND is defined as a compact, planned development with a grid of narrower streets, a mix of housing types and a blend of commercial and residential space. Right now there are more than a dozen TND or TND-like developments in the works around Baton Rouge, they include: Check this list out....

* Willow Grove- under construction; this is the 1st TND in the area(infil). The 390 housing units will sit on more than a 100 acres on Perkins Road about a 1/2 mile east of Bluebonnet Blvd. Developer Richard Carmouche is also working on an adjoining high density residential community just to the north; behind the Rave Theatre/Mall of La. expansion.

* Smiley Heights- 200 acre TND (infil) along Ardenwood Drive to Lobdell Ave. It's aimed at mixed-income residents; plans are to build 1,200 housing units along with community center and school.

* Rouzan(infil) - developer will follow up Perkins Rowe lifestyle center with this TND on Perkins Rd. on the old Ford Pasture site. A concept plan for the 120-acre development(with possible Southdowns branch library) should come out in the Spring; also developer of Citi Place

* Longwood Village- Wampold has elements of a TND but doesn't quite fit in. Plans are to build 1,650 housing units on the 520-acres along the Bluebonnet Blvd. extension. Construction could strart by the end of the year.

* Jamestown at Old Perkins- Perkins Rd. and Pecue Ln. More than 335 homes/condo's will be built on the 108 acre site, which will also have nearly 240,00 sq.ft of office/retail space. Also Pecue Lane will be reconfigured and Perkins Rd.

* Pecue Place- isn't a TND but a mix of residential and commercial space spread over 105 acres near I-10 and Pecue over-pass.

* Unnamed development-(possibly Arlington Creek??) A TND proposed for a 300-acre tract behind a huge new shopping center at Burbank and Lee Drive extending to Nicholson. The shopping center would have LSU-type architecture.

* Unnamed development- R.W.Day is planning a TND near I-12/O'Neal Lane with two movie studios; two shopping centers; a regional center aimed at I-12 traffic and a town center for residents. The project will be spread over 800 acres; about 300 acres will be nature preserve; wetlands; lakes

* The Village at Magnolia Square in Central(city)-500 houses on 185 acres.

* Cheval Trails in Zachary- 300-acre mixed-use development will feature an equestrian park and 25 acres of commercial retail; 600 houses on the site

* Juban Crossing - Livingston Parish between Denham Springs and Walker; 471-acre development I-12/Juban Road. Joint venture between the developers of Towne Center and Mall of La. will have a large retail componet and nearly 1,150 housing units; medical complexs too.

* Edenborne-303 acre TND with hotel in Gonzales; I-10/Hwy.44

* River View in WBR- 250-acre TND hoping to attract people who work in downtown BR. Located off La.1 along the Mississippi River

Baton Rouge is usually a little slow on the national trends; but the ignition button has been hit!!!

The BR Growth Coalition expects all of the TND's will eventually be built. Many on the table today will be part of the master plan of the future they say. People want more from where they live and what they can do for fun with conveniences in a community setting.

The Settlement at Willow Grove Town Square

1001446mainstreetsmdn8.gif

The architectual blend will be something to see. Some of the styles will be reminiscent of St.Augustine and old New Orleans; Designs will blend traditional Creole, French, and Acadian style homes laid out along tree-lined streets and park-like boulevards. Lush tropical courtyards; 14-acre linear park with fishing ponds, gazebos, fountains ; Common-space with ampitheatre

* Smiley Heights- 200 acre TND (infil) along Ardenwood Drive to Lobdell Ave. It's aimed at mixed-income residents; plans are to build 1,200 housing units along with community center and school.

I'm most interested in seeing this one happen. It is not to far from where I grew up and is a true inner city in-fill project. If this one is a success, It will serve as an example of how to bring life back into the city.

^^ Me too.... This mixed-income/mixed-community is something new for Baton Rouge. This type of project worked well with the developers in Pittsburgh. Hard to believe this wooded/undeveloped area stood there for so long. I think it should help revitalize the area. On the western edge is the nice new Capitol Middle School and Eden Park branch library. The site plan and renderings from BRAF look really nice. TND's look more mainstream now than just a fad.

• 2 weeks later...

^I sure hope so^ That's a major bold in-fil project!

This site plan of Juban Crossing may have already been posted on another thread; I wanted to add it to Livingston's 1st TND at 474-acres at the new Juban Road interchange at the rapidly growing I-12 corridor. Construction should begin late Spring or Summer with Upscale retailers, Medical Complexs, Residential, ample green space and amphitheatre. I think Warren Theatres giant 20-sreen complex is also a possibility.

jubancrossingart121406wr0.jpg

I enjoy looking at the new site plans of mixed-use communities. This really looks like it will be a very nice development!

*Feel free or post any renderings yall may find of any of the above mentioned TND's in the Capital Area.

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting Dan, I always enjoy maps. It's a shame they waited so long to finally widen Perkins Road. Too big a mess to drive down that way anytime soon. Otherwise I would go check-it out. There will be another Phase on the other side of the tracks eventually connected to the Picardy extension. They probably won't connect bec. of the park. I like that Willow Grove has some connections on the other neighborhoods. You'll be able to walk to Perkins Rowe from here too.

Some more TND News...Rapidly growing Zachary now jumping on the "smart growth" bandwagon up in the northern-end of EBR. Americana would be a 420-acre development off of La.64. Complete with school and YMCA. Some are worried what this might do to downtown Zachary. BusinessReport also had an article on this.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/6805197.html

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Suma Crossing to be Livingston's 2nd TND

337 acre development with schools, residential, retail, office, North Oaks health system, community center, and current baseball park will be implemented

*Located at I-12 at Satsuma exit will encompass 3 out of the 4 quadrants

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/7431131.html

bizsatsuma051007dl3.jpg

• 1 month later...

:w00t: :w00t: Almost sounds like a second Perkins Rowe.

Planning commission to look at high-density TND

Richard Carmouche, who is developing the Willow Grove traditional neighborhood development, is set to go before the Planning Commission at the end of this month to get approval for The Grove, a high-density TND with condominium units, parking garages, retail and office space. Although The Grove is on the same tract as Willow Grove, it won't connect to the TND. "There's a need for this project now," Carmouche says. Plans are to have 800 condo units in the development, along with two hotels, 225,000 square feet of retail, mainly service businesses targeting residents, 300,000 square feet of office space and 50,000 square feet of restaurants. The Grove will be accessible by the Picardy Avenue extension, and Carmouche is trying to tie the development directly into the I-10/Picardy Avenue interchange. "That would make us much more attractive and visible for office space," he says. Even if state and federal officials don't sign off on letting The Grove tie into the interchange, Carmouche plans to use the accessibility to the development as well as the proximity to the Mall of Louisiana as selling points. "Retail will not be our No. 1 focus," he says. "With the mall, we have plenty of retail around." If the commission approves The Grove, plans are to start construction immediately. --Timothy Boone

I was waiting to hear about phase II, The Grove. Sounds like a huge development! And they hope to start immediately?? :w00t: And 800 condo units; 300,000 sq.ft' office space ??? Wow that's alot!!! Can't wait to see what it will look like??

My only problem is it wont connect the back-side of Willow Grove(phaseI)?? Is it because of the R.R. tracks or Wards Creek?? I know they reserved the back-end of Willow GroveTND for greenspace/park in honor of the Kleinpeter's property or something.

SEE Map above; #7 posted by Dan

Edited by richyb83

I agree Richy I am a bit displeased that The Grove won't connect with Willow Grove. The whole point of our TND's is to have connection. What happened to our "smart growth" the reason we have alot of our traffic problems is because nothing connects in this city. We have all these subdivisions with one way in and one way out. I'd like to see The Grove connect with Willow Grove, the mall, the Picardy exchange and whatever road we can possibly get that connects BB and Siegen. Connection is key in helping us get a handle on traffic congestion

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

*This project has been mentioned in the forums several times, including post #1 above. I like the density of these trendy new TND's! This development will look cool having a village look. The new Southdowns library branch will be the centerpiece implemented in the front. Coldwater Creek will run thru the village green too. This is the same developer of Perkins Rowe urban village and CitiPlace, so it will be nice. Can't wait to see the renderings.

Plans for Rouzan, Tommy Spinosa's TND on Perkins Road, are set to go before the city-parish Planning Commission on Oct. 22.

Rouzan, which will be built on the 119-acre Ford Pasture site, will feature 800 residential units, split evenly between single-family homes and condominiums/townhomes, along with 45,000 square feet of office space, 45,000 square feet of retail space and 10,000 square feet of restaurants/caf

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

More on the 119 acre "infil" Rouzan, they were having a meeting today in Southdowns. This looks to be very nice! I like that it will connect 5 entrances to Southdowns "street grid"; 3 entrances from Perkins Rd.; and 1 into Westchase. Anchored by a new Southdowns branch library. Like the Coldwater Creek that runs tru it.

The Traditional Neighborhood Development (TND) concept plan for Rouzan proposes a new community with a mixed use of residential, neighborhood services, cultural and open space on 119 acres located in south Baton Rouge, 3

• 4 weeks later...

"Rouzan to go before Planning Commission

Rouzan, the TND proposed for the old Ford property, is scheduled to go before the city-parish Planning Commission for approval Tuesday night. Developer Tommy Spinosa is proposing an 800-unit development on the 119-acre site on Perkins Road, along with 45,000 square feet of office space, 5,000 square feet of retail space and 10,000 square feet of restaurants, caf

Edited by dan326

Yeah I have been seeing the "No to Rouzan" signs around the Southdowns area. I checked out that new website before I saw it in BusinessReport. Thanks for posting this Dan :thumbsup:

I have been asked to speak "in favor" of this project at tommorrow's City Planning meeting; but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the hours possibly fueding back & forth with those NIMBY residents. This really effects the entire city; not just the Perkins Rowe area. I do see their concern over density compared to other TND's. But hey they are the one's that fought keeping ridiculous Lee Drive "only" two-lanes. So right traffic does suck!

I only wish a TND would have been built at the Fairwood CC near I-12/Millerville where I live; instead of the typical stinking "one-way in, one-way out" large retail center that is planned. On the other side a one entrance single-family residential.

Ford Pasture deserves something special other than just another boring cookie-cutter subdivision with limited entrance points. This is almost too good to be true! The Southdowns branch library will be nice! Density is needed in the urban core. This is "Smart Growth"/anti-sprawl! And with real sidewalks!!!

The NIMBY's in Southdowns have almost "no" sidewalks with the exception of the one in the Stuart Ave. median. They practically get run over on the other streets if they are jogging, biking or walking little children.

Edited by richyb83

Diagram I found that illustrates how typical much of sprawling SE BR is developed(other cities are guilty too), esp. Perkins Road. Check-out the top section with Single entranced cookie-cuttersingle-family residential onto over-burdened feeder road.

On the bottom more traditional interconnected grid(or modified grid w/ T shapes)..much what "New Urbanism" and TND's promote w/ a variety of housing; elementary school close enough for children to walk; Shops at the edge of the neighborhood; parks, etc. LESS CAR dependant

sprawltownroadplanqn4.gif

Edited by richyb83

I mean some people in this city make me sooooooooo sick.....they complain about the developments here in baton rouge....but they be the same people who try to move their kids to places like Fla, NY,Cali,TX..ect..talking about baton rouge has nothing to offer and they want them to have a better life...

but when they try to bring business and different things to baton rouge they have a problem...but it's kool..these sick people would rather put over 100 miles on they car to drive wayyy out of town for something ...when u can get it or do it here

"Breaking News: Breaking news: Rouzan TND won't be heard tonight

The controversial Rouzan TND has been deferred from tonight's city-parish Planning Commission. The development, proposed for the old Ford property site on Perkins Road, is now scheduled to go before the commission on Dec. 10. Developer Tommy Spinosa is proposing an 800-unit development on the 119-acre site on Perkins Road, along with 45,000 square feet of office space, 5,000 square feet of retail space and 10,000 square feet of restaurants, caf

That's OK! :thumbsup: These things happen all the time! It took Wampold probably 15 years to finally get approval of his Crescent Condo's at University Lake! The NIMBY's stalled that; but he never gave up! That area was screaming for that type of development! Perfect location across from BR Beach. It's nearly complete now; at 5-stories with that architecture it looks fantastic :shades:

The deferal works-out perfectly anyway; I was asked to speak in favor of Rouzan tonight; but could not have attended anyway. Hopefully I can speak on Dec 10th?? I got some positive ammo for them to digest. I already called Councilman Skyring's office to give the "yes"; and wrote Tassin a quick e-mail too.

Edited by richyb83