New Urbanism

richyb83

Haven't our burbs learned from our mistakes when it comes to those single entrance developments. That frustrates me so much. When I go and visit my parents back in my hometown and I see all their development and it's alot of single entrance developments, I'm like "you guys will pay for that later on." LOL

• 2 weeks later...

So I had the most random thought today while driving down Bluebonnet. I was notceing the huge empty parking lot , part of the swaggert complex, just north of Perkins Rowe, and thought that the minitries should really get in on the action and develop that parking lot into something nice. This is where the random thought hit me, could one call the Swaggert World Ministries Baton Rouge's first TND. Think about it, after the college dissapated, they turned the old dorms into apartments, the class rooms into office space, they have a little bit of retail, a church and about to have a hotel. Sounds like all the components of a TND to me. Now I know its stretching it, but I thought it was kinda funny, lol :rolleyes:

That's cool buckett. I does have the componets; and the grocery store would be nearby in Bluebonnet Village.

I have been saying that large vacant parking lot would be a great addition to Perkins Rowe crossing Dawson Creek. I posted the graphic about a month ago in the Perkins Rowe thread. I think it's a serious waste of space as it is. Hopefully soon the hotel at the unfinished dorm tower will begin; then who knows?? Digging Dawson Creek into a waterway w/ water taxi's taking you from Perkins Rowe over to The Boulevard(Mall of La.) and The Grove would be different

Edited by richyb83

This pic had already been posted awhile back; now it's official. Cool looking village. I like this new trend BR has going for it!

Willow Grove to construct town square

1001446villageaerialrenvv6.jpg

Developers of The Settlement at Willow Grove on Perkins Road are about to begin construction on the first four buildings that comprise the neighborhood

• 2 weeks later...

HEHE!!!! I couldn't be more excited about the council finally doing the right thing. The people in Southdowns will see this is going to enhance their property values. Like you said "They'll get over it" and if not who cares WE'RE GETTING ROUZAN!!!! :yahoo:

I have been "lurking in the shadows" for sometime reading the posts about Rouzan. I live in Southdowns and I along with many of my neighbors have supported Rouzan since day one. That's why we started the for-rouzan.org website. To the best of my knowledge only about 120 Southdowns, Pollard, etc., residents are opposed to Rouzan in any shape or form (primarily do to the commercial aspect). Most residents in the area think its too dense, and this is going to be the biggest obstacle to the final design proposal. Most residents don't understand that a TND needs some density to work properly. I fear that Rouzan will be so watered down in it's final approved design that we in the surrounding area will not get the full benefits of a TND.

It nice to know that there are many others in the Baton Rouge area that support this type of development. The Southside Civic Association will fight tooth and nail to minimize the Rouzan development and may throw out the baby with the bath water in the process.

WOW that site plan is nice. I like that. And thanks for cleaing up my question. Maybe Zachary should annex some land LOL..... Maybe then BR would follow suit LOL

It's all in the Zachary school district, and that is what will make the larger residential units sell like crazy.

There could potentially be 2500 or more new residents here.

I smell a power center in the future for Zachary...esp after the Audubon bridge is built.

Edited by cajun

I have been "lurking in the shadows" for sometime reading the posts about Rouzan. I live in Southdowns and I along with many of my neighbors have supported Rouzan since day one. That's why we started the for-rouzan.org website. To the best of my knowledge only about 120 Southdowns, Pollard, etc., residents are opposed to Rouzan in any shape or form (primarily do to the commercial aspect). Most residents in the area think its too dense, and this is going to be the biggest obstacle to the final design proposal. Most residents don't understand that a TND needs some density to work properly. I fear that Rouzan will be so watered down in it's final approved design that we in the surrounding area will not get the full benefits of a TND.

It nice to know that there are many others in the Baton Rouge area that support this type of development. The Southside Civic Association will fight tooth and nail to minimize the Rouzan development and may throw out the baby with the bath water in the process.

Glad to have you join us Zachman :thumbsup: and thanks for the input. Hopefully Rouzan won't be too watered down. Wasn't it recently approved at 770-residential units instead of the 800?? That's not much less. The new branch library is a good idea and much needed for the area. I think Rouzan will be an asset to the Southdown's residents.

What I don't get is how nieghborhoods like Southdowns(except Stuart Ave. median), Old Goodwood and many others do not even have sidewalks??? They are forced to bike, jog or stroll kids in the streets which is too dangerous IMO. Too many areas of BR are NOT pedestrian friendly <_<

Some locals would like to keep BR a giant, overgrown suburb. They really don't know what density is. These TND projects are critical infil for the urban core. Few cities BR's size have large undeveloped chunks in the middle of it. These single-entranced cookie-cutter subdivisions just don't get it done anymore.

I only wish something like Perkins Rowe(a city in the suburbs) was somewhere downtown.

Edited by richyb83

Oh yeah...Zachman. What was up ??with the Southdowns civic ass.ociation in thier efforts to keep the developer from building the upscale Crescent condo's along University Lake?? Instead they wanted to keep the old eye-sore brick building there that was finally painted purple in honor of LSU's National Championship football team.

This delayed the project for more than 10 years; now look how nice the condo's are along the lake. That area"Gateway to LSU) on Stanford Ave. across from BR Beach deserved something multi-storied with a special view :shades: there. This only enhances Southdowns, University Gardens and College Town.

The Ford Pasture also desrved something special; I think Rouzan is it.

The maximum agreed to density is not to exceed 750, versus the original 800 plus 10% or 880. Here is a link to the Final Rezoning Ordinance.

As one former Southside Civic Association (SCA) board member told us in 2004 when we tried to get them to just hear a presentation about smart growth "Why would I want to walk somewhere when I can just get into my car and drive." Those of us that walk or jog must fend for ourselves, which is not always easy. The few sidewalks in the area are really too narrow for two to walk abreast.

I've found Baton Rouge to be a very conservative city and Southdowns is one of the most conservative neighborhoods. You have to understand that the SCA only exists for two things; One, to keep all residences single family and Two, A1 development only. Commercial or multi-family building is not acceptable.

What has amazed me is that there are only about 100 active members, but they have managed to stay in "power". Those who brought new blood into the board where voted off or quit in disgust in the Fall of 2004, when only a few dozen residents didn't like the idea of the board being educated about smart growth (remember the two SCA golden rules).

Whew, once I get started it's hard to stop sometimes :wacko: Southdowns has a lot of really good people and I usually like living here and yes I and others are all for Rouzan.

Edited by Zackman

Zachman, when I first moved here 4 yrs ago there were 2 things i noticed quickly about BR. One, it lacked a sufficient grid pattern in roads, to dispurse traffic all over. Two was the fact that it was an extremely pedestrian unfriendly city. The lack of sidewalks and cross walks with properly working signs was amazing. I believe the invention of the "suicide lane", 5th lane, was a big mistake. I am a fan of medians. They make it look and feel more pedestrian friendly and not to mention make it safer for the pedestrians. There are very few areas in the city that you can actually walk to things. For me having the ability to either walk or take mass transit is what defines a city. Unfortunately I think BR has passed the point of no return on that aspect. All we can do now is develop infill projects like Perkins Rowe, Rouzan, Town Centre... etc Personally I really think someone needs to jump on the Westmoreland property and develop a TND. I'm hoping with the approval of Rouzan and the success of Perkins Rowe that a serious developer will step forward. :shades:

Perkins Rowe....Rouzon...and hopefully something similar to Perkins Rowe near LSU along Burbank.

Baton Rouge is turning into a european style city, but with wider streets. You have downtown being very "American" (particularly southern USA style with the riverfront and newer towers) and the Mall of La area being the same way, then you have several other mini-downtowns with walkable streets and parallel parking...add to the fact that our streets don't make anything looking like a grid....and Baton Rouge and many American cities are turning into a cool mix of new stuff. I'd like to see a larger section of the city designed like Perkins Rowe (except on both sides of major streets) where it overwhelms you...like how Camellia Blvd in Lafayette does.

I'm not saying that Perkins Rowe is not American style- it is very much so. In fact, it's just a newer and nicer version of many downtowns in America with a mix of store level shopping, offices above that, and residential spaces around with a strange mix of surface parking and garages. I mean that the whole picture of Baton Rouge is changing.

Edited by cajun

Yes CaJuN, the winds of change have finally arrived for Baton Rouge.

More on the Nicholson properties between Downtown & LSU. This is not a TND per say; but sounds like a form of "New Urbanism"/Smart Growth. This is bound to transform the Nicholson corridor; when all these projects(Prince Murat site too) are complete; you will not be able to recognize the area in a few years.

The Fieldhouse, Victory Commons and Red Stick Lofts have seen a nice start on the south-end of the gateway district!!

Oubre working on Nicholson project

Steve Oubre, the Lafayette architect who has helped draw up traditional neighborhood developments across Louisiana, is working with the developers who last week bought 10 acres along Nicholson Drive. Oubre stopped short of calling the development a TND, but said it would be a "smart-growth, new urbanist community" that would be a mixture of residential, commercial and civic spaces. The development could include some sort of government building, such as a post office or a fire station. Oubre says a marketing study is under way to determine what the demands are, and a series of public meetings will be held in early May to get input from neighbors and other interested parties. Moreno Properties, a Lafayette development group, purchased 29 lots along Nicholson, right between LSU and downtown. "We're sensitive about the richness of this project," Oubre says. "There's something special about LSU and downtown."--Timothy Boone

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

• 2 weeks later...

Baton Rouge needs a similar development like this Mediterreanean-style village. :shades: Somewhere in the vicinity of LSU's Southgate Towers would work well; or the proposed Arlington Creek TND down Burbank and West Lee Drive.

townhomesphotoyt7.gif

Something other than the french-faux paus style that dominates the Capital Region.

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, but lengthy article about Rouzan "tug-O-war" from 225, BR's Entertainment Magazine. I believe when all is said and done Southdowns, Pollard Estates and everyone will be happy with this; much like they are now with Perkins Rowe.

Rouzan won. Now what?

I read that article a few times and I still don't completely understand what points the author was trying to make. The section you highlighted seems to be his key point, but after reading it again I'm still not sure what points he was trying to make.

Whatever happened to the Urban Design Overlay Districts and Growth Centers plan? I know here in the Southdowns area some of the neighbors were working on it back in late 2004 early 2005 and it just seems to slipped through the cracks. What about the Horizon Plan?

By the way, Spinosa lives just on the other side of Southdowns on Lake Shore Drive and is a member of the Southside Civic Association (woman interviewed in the article said he lives far away). How's that for irony.

Edited by Zackman

• 4 weeks later...

Oh boy :rolleyes: The library branch belongs in Rouzan on Perkins Road; a much better location where thousands of people could walk to from the surrounding neighborhoods. The Burbank location would be a mistake where everybody would have to drive.

Rouzan row could reignite

The Battle of Rouzan may not be finished quite yet.

Two members of the East Baton Rouge Library Board are pushing to drop the proposed Rouzan traditional neighborhood development on Perkins Road as a site for a new branch library.

Citing a lack of progress by Rouzan developer Tommy Spinosa, Library Board members Stan Bardwell and Don Browning called for a vote Thursday to build the proposed south Baton Rouge library on a 6-acre site on Burbank Drive donated to the library system in late 2004.

I can't believe the arrogance and narrow minded attitudes of some people in Southdowns.

They are pulling strings to get the Library out of Rouzon now. It's one thing to be protective of your neighborhood and keeping an eye on zoning, but thinking that a vacant piece of land in the middle of the city will suddenly be developed into a low density suburban development is just stupid.

Don't worry...eventually the old bats that run things will die off. Until then, don't pay your HOA fees, park trucks on your front lawn, buy a loud pet that craps everywhere, and never cut your grass on time. These people obviously need something else to worry about that what goes on OUTSIDE of Southdowns.

Edited by cajun

Cajun, the Southside Civic Association doesn't care about those things. :dontknow:

It's been three months now since the Metro Council approved rezoning for Rouzan. Certainly the library should have been built by now. :dunno:

Didn't one of the two library board members (or his family), that stated the Rouzan developer is taking too long, donate the land they want to build on Burbank? Do they not get their tax write off until the library is built on Burbank???

Since moving to Baton Rouge in '04 I'll say that it's a place that grows on you. But here's my two cents on the new urbanism discussion.

1) the portions of BR bounded roughly by Florida to the north, Nicholson to the south, College/Lee to the East, and the river to the West are the ones that I feel can benefit the most from "smart-growth" improvements...mostly because 99% of my daily activities are confined to these areas (quite a bias lol). Perkins-Rowe is great but we need more "perkins-rowes" in this area than we do by the Dunham school.

2) pedestrian-friendly improvements are a must. I'm somewhat of a runner and I hate having too look over my shoulder while running down a street like Morning Glory, Lakeshore, or Christian street when a sidewalk or some designated pedestrian path would eliminate the whole issue.

3) residential density is there, but retail density isn't. The stretch of Perkins between City Park and the Overpass is a perfect example. There is a very active, community-oriented population in this area, but they have to drive to Government or Acadian just to find a drug store or a Blockbuster, and to Corporate just to see a new movie or run by the bank. The lack of nearby retail options is also apparent in the Brightside/Riverbend areas--though I've noticed some infill popping up next to the Circle K by Alvin Dark. Anyway, the reason I mention neighborhoods like Brightside and Hundred Oaks is because it seems the residential populations in those areas could support a lot more retail development.

4) There are connectivity issues. The section of BR defined in #1 is one of the densest parts of town and does not cover a lot of square mileage, but it feels as though the large sections of this area...LSU, Nicholson/Brightside area, Southdowns, Garden District, Government St. Corridor, are in some way or another "walled-off" from one another. I certainly have no idea how to fix this phenomenon and am not really sure if other people feel as though it's even an issue, but I though I'd mention it.

5) more to come...not trying to dog my experiences in BR because overall I've loved it, these are just a few of my observations which some of you may have already pointed out.

Okay, did some more checking in to what is going on with the proposed "Southdowns" Public Library, which is scheduled to be built in the Rouzan TND.

John Berry, who is the acting President of the Southside Civic Association, is pushing the Library Board to build on the Burbank site. He hopes to force the Rouzan Developer to go again before the Metro Council for approval based on a major change in the proposed plan. This time without the library, which is a major feature of the TND and one of the primary reasons stated by Mr. Skyring for supporting the rezoning of the Ford Property.

The Burbank site would require everyone to drive to the site. If placed in Rouzan over 1000 families could easily walk to the library (previously noted by richyb83), including yours truely. :rolleyes:

Since the Burbank site is located in a flood plain, a tremendous amount of dirt would have to be brought in to the location to raise the site above the flood plain at a great expense.

John Berry has convinced some Library Board Members that it has taken too long for the Rouzan site. This is really sad since he and other Southside Civiic Association Board Members are the primary reason it took so long for Rouzan to get approved. I guess in his mind, the end justifies the means. :dontknow:

Please contact the Library Board Members and let them know that Rouzan is the better choice for this Public Library. Here is a link containing their email addresses Library Board of Control Members

Edited by Zackman

Thanks for the head's up Zackman :thumbsup: That's just ridiculous! They are relentless. They sure seem to want to keep their little suburban Baton Rouge from progressing. <_< I wish somebody would run him out of town.

They also tried to stop what is now one of the nicest new developments in the region; the Crescent Condo's at University Lake. Thank goodness developer Wampold never gave up! I don't understand some people. Did they want to keep an overgrown weed-lot with the little brick building to collect dust??

I will be writing the Library Board very soon!

The Library Board can't be that stupid.

Sell the land on Burbank to someone who'll be more than happy to put a strip center or driving range out there.

Build the Library where Libraries should go- where the people live. Why put one on Burbank when there is already one on Bluebonnet?

This is the letter I wrote to the library board the other day.....I hope they will strongly consider this. They haven't me written back.

It's a shame a few vocal people can be so relentless to the point that the Burbank site be considered once again; especially when they are the main cause for delays. Please move Baton Rouge forward and not backwards!

Love the last part. :shades:

I think the library board members are getting some similar messages in their inbox. :whistling:

They could always use more... :thumbsup: