New Urbanism

richyb83

He doesn't understand the concept the same way most do.

yeah, most people are just clamoring for traffic to come through their neighborhoods. I know when I and countless other families are looking for a home we look for a) good nearby schools b) crime rate and c) if there's a major road cutting through the heart of my neighborhood so people can get to a shopping center faster.

yeah, most people are just clamoring for traffic to come through their neighborhoods. I know when I and countless other families are looking for a home we look for a) good nearby schools b) crime rate and c) if there's a major road cutting through the heart of my neighborhood so people can get to a shopping center faster.

It's called living in a city. Don't want it, don't move next to a mall, which is next to an interstate, between 3 highly traveled roads, and another large retail center a mile away. Go to Watson.

• Like 1

It's called living in a city. Don't want it, don't move next to a mall, which is next to an interstate, between 3 highly traveled roads, and another large retail center a mile away. Go to Watson.

Terrific logic. Getting upset over a neighborhood with multiple entrances and daring to not want to make their neighborhood a shortcut. Those jerks.

Edited by itsjustme3

Terrific logic. Getting upset over a neighborhood with multiple entrances and daring to not want to make their neighborhood a shortcut. Those jerks.

"My subdivision is mine! And we are unique in suburban Baton Rouge! We have to save our McMansions from city traffic-in the city! How dare they force us to live in the city we live in!"

Not my fault they bought a home in the city but don't want to live in the city.

• Like 1

You obviously ignore my post(#282).....my proposal would not make nothing in that neighborhood a short cut.....I never said having a road cutting thru....

Then have a gated entrance with a special card in the back of High Grove.....

It is good we can agree to disagree and still be civil...

Pretty impressive there has been 20+ post since my original post....never woulda thunk it!

Let's blame the people who didn't design the neighborhood.

The infinite wisdom of some people...

They live in nice houses and are therefore guilty so who cares.

That's the vibe I get.

You obviously ignore my post(#282).....my proposal would not make nothing in that neighborhood a short cut.....I never said having a road cutting thru....

Pretty impressive there has been 20+ post since my original post....never woulda thunk it!

This thread has moved from that to "all neighborhoods are bad if you can't drive thru it in order to get to a shopping center".

You obviously ignore my post(#282).....my proposal would not make nothing in that neighborhood a short cut.....I never said having a road cutting thru....

You know you can't get anything out of him. He trolls the forum perfectly.

Let's blame the people who didn't design the neighborhood.

The infinite wisdom of some people...

Who should we blame? The buyers who creates demand or who do the developers respond to?

That's the vibe I get.

This thread has moved from that to "all neighborhoods are bad if you can't drive thru it in order to get to a shopping center".

The Mall and Bluebonnet and I-10 exits have now been reduced to a shopping center?

Oh well in that case screw those McMansion owners at a Willow Grove. Heck, let's bulldoze their homes and make it a park while we are at it.

This is such a pointless discussion. There's nothing wrong with Willow Grove. Blaming it for BR's woes is laughable.

Maybe building single entance subdivisions 15 or 20 years ago in the area would have been excusable because "hey... nothing's really out here right" but there really isn't an excuse now knowing that this area is just going to get more populated as it becomes a desirable place to live. (To quote you on the 4-500k home mark, people wouldn't pay that if it wasn't desirable) This is really nothing new of BR, it's the "let the future generations deal with it" type of planning and if you don't see why that's a problem then you're actually a part of the problem

That's the vibe I get.

I will give you one compliment though. You have mastered the art of the straw man.
Edited by Renzo
  • Like 1

Who should we blame? The buyers who creates demand or who do the developers respond to?

You ought to know that buyers consider much more important things when purchasing a home than whether or not it has a back entrance to the mall, especially when the mall is already set to get a back entrance in another spot. 

Furthermore, Willow Grove buyers bought into a TND...as far as they're concerned, they have bought in a smartly planned community. 

Which we've already established...there are a ton of entrances into the neighborhood already, so whoever began this nonsense discussion picked pretty much the hardest subdivision in that area to make a case against. 

But it just happens to be one of the most elite...so that gives people free pass to drag them through the mud, I guess. How can we ever forgive them for investing in East Baton Rouge when they could've had a larger, nicer house in Ascension somewhere?

Edited by garrett_225

But it just happens to be one of the most elite...so that gives people free pass to drag them through the mud, I guess. How can we ever forgive them for investing in East Baton Rouge when they could've had a larger, nicer house in Ascension somewhere?

Careful. You're starting to sound like me.

• Like 1

Careful. You're starting to sound like me.

Disturbing, isn't it?  :shok:

But really, I've heard of blaming the developer...but now we're blaming people who bought into the whole TND concept. This is like blaming Lower 9th Ward homeowners for failed levees. 

Edited by garrett_225

You ought to know that buyers consider much more important things when purchasing a home than whether or not it has a back entrance to the mall, especially when the mall is already set to get a back entrance in another spot. 

Furthermore, Willow Grove buyers bought into a TND...as far as they're concerned, they have bought in a smartly planned community. 

Which we've already established...there are a ton of entrances into the neighborhood already, so whoever began this nonsense discussion picked pretty much the hardest subdivision in that area to make a case against. 

It's not just a mall entrance, but the other points such as Kinglet Dr/Seigen and the ability to get on I-10 without traveling on Perkins Rd and Bluebonnet or Seigen. With the extension of S. Mall Dr to Pecue Ln, one could travel from the Grove to the Woman's Hospital all without touching major roads.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really blaming anyone as much as I'm blaming society, planners, and developers for still making errors in "smart growth" ideology. I don't consider this that hard of a subdivision to make a case against, call me crazy.

I could care less who lives there, I don't see how that makes a difference here. Although I will say that a larger, nicer house in Ascension is 100% subjective.

...and at the end of this silly thread, Baton Rouge still has traffic. Traffic caused by people who don't want anyone cutting thru their subdivision who doesn't live there, which forces every resident in the neighborhood, and other parts of the city to only use a handful of major arteries to get around town. 

I've already stated, i get it, if i wanted to live in a quite subdivision, I wouldnt want cars cutting thru my neighborhood either, but people need to understand that subdivisions with confusing layouts and few exit points CREATE traffic.