New Urbanism

richyb83

Yeah cajun ..then the best route would have been  along Sunshine Point(from Hwy 30)  w New Bridge just North of Plaquemine near Dow ....it could hook around and parallel LA1 North to New Hwy 415 extension w New Intracoastal waterway Bridge

Instead of South Plaquemine ...are truckers going to really By pass BR to go so far out of the way? A New Bridge will be nearly useless if there is not a I-10 Connection from Acesnsion to I-10 WBR

Edited by richyb83

12 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Yeah cajun ..then the best route would have been  along Sunshine Point(from Hwy 30)  w New Bridge just North of Plaquemine near Dow ....it could hook around and parallel LA1 North to New Hwy 415 extension w New Intracoastal waterway Bridge

Instead of South Plaquemine ...are truckers going to really By pass BR to go so far out of the way? A New Bridge will be nearly useless if there is not a I-10 Connection from Acesnsion to I-10 WBR

So the interesting findings in the study are that nearly 80% of traffic on the I-10 bridge are local commuters.   That's way more than I expected.   I guess it goes to show you how massive the industrial base in Baton Rouge really is, and how much of it is located along LA1 on the west bank of the river.    Most of those workers live on the east side of the river and commute back and forth on I-10, US 190, or the Sunshine Bridge (which is way too far south IMO).

So if the highway network can be beefed up and geared toward servicing local commuters, it should provide relief on I-10.    In this case, a new bridge around Plaquemine should help in a huge way - removing about 20% of traffic from the I-10 bridge at peak hours.    That's HUGE, even if cross country truck drivers continue to use I-10.   

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Mixed-use development planned for Highland outside Magnolia Woods neighborhood

A mixed-use development is in the works for Highland Road outside of the Magnolia Woods neighborhood. 

The Village at Magnolia Woods, at the corner of Highland Road and Magnolia Wood Avenue, will be similar in style to Rouzan and Lafayette’s River Ranch, with a mixture of single-family homes and commercial space anchored by a pocket park and community pond, says developer Ty Gose. 

Seventy-one single-family homes and a 21,700-square-foot commercial district are planned for the nearly 20-acre development. Tenants are expected to include a coffee concept, breakfast restaurant, lunch restaurant, a fitness gym and a soft goods retailer. 

“We see this property as the capstone or the final phase of Magnolia Woods—an extension of this already desirable, historic neighborhood,” Gose says. “We have worked together with the neighborhood to design something that we can all use and be proud of.”

If approved by the Planning Commission and Metro Council, Gose expects construction to start in early summer, with residential lots available toward the end of the year. 

The neighborhood was developed in the ‘50s on land that was formerly part of Mount Hope Plantation, according to the neighborhood’s civic association website. The Planning Commission will consider plans for the development at its February meeting

https://www.businessreport.com/realestate/mixed-use-development-planned-for-highland-outside-magnolia-woods-neighborhood

• Like 1