Question: Keeping bikes in apartments...

seicer

In November 2006, my Giant mountain bike, valued at around $800, was stolen from Park Plaza Apartments in Lexington, Kentucky. It is a downtown high-rise. Where was it stolen from?

A fenced off area in the parking structure (inside the building) that featured barbed wire on top. Locked with a padlock. Watched by a security camera. My bike was registered with the apartment complex, per standard, with the label applied to the bike, per standard. It is retrieved by the doorman if available, or by the persons working that day.

I first placed the bike in October 2006 and went to retrieve it several months later. After discovering it wasn't there, I requested that it be looked into since a security camera was there. I provided them with an adequate description of the bike, with a photograph of the model. I didn't hear from them for several days so I checked back every few days for about two weeks.

"Yeah, we're looking into it."

I never filed it with the police. After filing one for something a while back, it's just a pain-in-the-ass that gets no results. I also did not report it to the insurance because I'm afraid my premium would go up.

January 2007 comes and goes. I decide to purchase another bike, this time a $800 Giant model. It's a beauty, but it hasn't been ridden (too damn cold). It's clean and spotless and it's been sitting in my apartment from January on, along with my repaired road bike.

So yesterday I drop my bike off at my friends so he can work on a component and I pick it up and walk into the building with it. The doorman says, "sorry, it's against policy to bring that bike in."

Well, you know, if my old bike gets stolen and the damn management is too lazy to look at the security tapes, and are too damn lazy to check the bike tag with who it's registered to, then there is a serious flaw in the system. I don't pay them to look pretty in the office :angry:

I take it up anyways and will have a nice talk to the manager Monday. If the worst happens (it must go), then I'll just store it at a friends. But this is rediclous, my bike gets stolen from a very secure facility, the doorman/person working doesn't bother checking who's registered to what, and I get the shaft.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is strange it is against policy. When I lived in the dorms in college, I remember people bringing their bikes up into their rooms and no one there ever had an issue.

Bike theft is a MAJOR issue here in Ann Arbor, MI. In fact, so big, that it is a law that your bike be registered with the city. If it is stolen, it can be tracked by GPS. The real problem now, is parts being removed. Wheels, seats, reflectors, you name it. That's one big thing to worry about even if your bike is properly secured.

You can start with a U lock. They can only be destroyed with a plasma cutter, and the site of one of those things would most certainly draw attention from security. I once lost the key to my U-Lock, and had to call the city, which then connected me to the Ann Arbor Police Department. They came with the plasma cutter, and cut that thing right off, but made quite a site.

I'm still willing to keep my bike protected though. It's locked to the iron fire escape on my building. Although it's on the ground floor, it would be easy to hear someone try to steal it.

Tell management you are paying for their services, and they just aren't doing a good enough job with security monitoring. You might be able to work something out with them.

Well, I use a U-lock wherever I can. But the bike holding area is quite inadeuqate -- there are 'slots' for the bike wheels but no where to lock it up! The chain link fence is too far for the U-lock and a stretch for a cable (which I do not trust or use).

When the manager comes and sees it, I'll have a tool kit spread out on th carpet. "I'm working on my bike! Where else can I work on it at?" :thumbsup:

Kryptonite New York Lock Fahgettaboudit - 3'3"

Looks like a pretty heavy duty lock, might work for you. Way better than a cable lock. Even has a $3500 protection offer. I dont know the exact details, but im pretty sure if you are using this lock, and you have proof that the lock was cut, they will give you up to 3500 to buy a new bike.

My bike is my primary mode of transportation. It's a mountain bike, but is an older model, probably around 1994-95. It's a great bike, but I prefer it over a new one for the reasons you gave above.

I also use a U-lock and highly recommend it. You can get them at any large shopping center in the bike section or your trusted bike shop. The one thing to always remember though, when using a U-lock is that the "U" must go through both the frame of your bike AND the front wheel. I always see bikes with U-locks around the front tire only or just around the frame. Locking both secures the whole thing.

I currently live in a high rise in Detroit and I was surprised when the doorman told me I could store my bike in my apartment when I first moved into the place. Even though there really isn't room for it, I keep it along the wall anyway.

I would be pretty infuriated with a situation like yours. It may be against policy to bring your bike in, but like you said, what's the point in having 3 levels of security, if none of them are going to be abided by? If they can't help you, then I'd say, sorry, I can't follow your backwards policy.

There are no places to hook a U-lock to anything, though. The cable that was linked above looks very nice. I might try that or recommend it if the conversation goes downhill - which I doubt because the manager was the same one that I reported the incident to months ago. I think he can feel some sympathy.

Archived