What Kind of Music do YOU LIKE, favorite artists

wolverine

This might have been posted before, I can't remember. We already have a thread about what music you are listening to now, but what do you listen to in general.

With me, I like all types of music, but my typical rotation is usually hip hop, many of them non-mainstream artists.

My all time favorite is The Roots. They've been around for so long, but still put out some amazing albums. I love their use of actual musical instruments to create awesome beats mixed with great lyrics.

I also like Talib Kweli, Common, Nas, Jay Z, Anthony Hamilton, Omarion...oh I could go on.

But I also like a lot of rock, although I exclusively listen to hip hop. I can't think of any off the top of my head, so I'll just name a few rock bands on my recently played. We have Tom Petty, Blue Oyster Cult, Eddie Money, Phil Collins (although I associate him more with pop), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, and Poison

I pretty much grew up on hip hop. I lived in a very diverse neighborhood in the industrial city of Saginaw. ALL of my friends listened to it, and naturally so did I. I remember my parents not buying 2 pac albums for me, so when I started getting an allowance, I went to a music store two blocks from my house, because they would actually sell that stuff to us young kids.

My family later moved out of Saginaw because of rising crime, and gang violence was starting to rise in neighborhood. For awhile we were in the suburbs, and then when I was in high school to the rural and touristy community of Frankenmuth. There, EVERYONE listened to rock. When I played football, classic rock was blasted up in the weightroom, and soon it began to grow on me. When I got back to college though, the group of friends I hung out with listened to mostly hip hop. A few of them rap and freestyle in competitions, and I've recently begun to help one of my friends in the music school here create a few beats.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i listen to mostly classic rock and jambands. my all time favorites are phish, the grateful dead, the band, etc. i now listen to a lot of alt-country and alt-folk type stuff like ryan adams, who is one of my current favorites. i listen to mostly anything and my CD collection (yes, i collect CD's, and don't do any music downloading except live stuff that's freely taped and traded) includes something from just about every genre.

My tastes are pretty varied I guess. I enjoy Metallica from time to time, but I also like Madeleine Peyroux. I'm a big Beatles fan too. Other favorites include The Smoking Popes, Ruth Ruth, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, 311, and Ben Folds Five.

I also highly recommend the Boston-based band AGE RINGS.

Oooh, band time!!! I am a fan of bands like XTC, The Smiths, The Cure. As well, I also like David Bowie, Queen---some music by the Pogues, and pretty much all the bands out of Athens, Georgia. There is also a band called the Raveonettes that I'm kind of getting into. I'm with Runawayjim as well--I can really get into the jam bands (though someone said Widespread Panic is not a real "jam band" so I'm not sure). I've also gotten into Mason Jennings a little bit (I believe he was playing a show with Guster (which I haven't heard from much from them, but what I've heard is excellent) down this way last week, but alas, I"m broke right now.

And I grew up in Georgia, so of course I grew up on Tupac, Biggie, and the early early Outkast.

Okay, while I'm being honest, I can also get into Speedwagon and Foreigner and Journey. Sometimes I like to get in my Trans Am, crank up some Journey, and just cruise around town.... :rofl:

I'm all over the place with music. My primary love is hip-hop (especially 90's stuff), R&B, and soul, but I also love the crossover music by folks like Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, Joss Stone, Robin Thicke, Christina Aguilera.

I also dug some rock, and some country.

Alllll over the place; pretty much a few people at least from lots and lots of genres:

Kinks, Stones, Bowie, Velvet Underground, The Clash, Sly & The Family Stone, Television, Talking Heads, Patti Smith, Blue Oyster Cult, XTC, Wire, Mission Of Burma, Sonic Youth, Miles Davis, Can, Rickie Lee Jones, Joni Mitchell, Eno, Flaming Lips, Tom Waits, various divas, Al Green, lots of funk, 70s punk, new wave, the Flying Nun 80s/90s bands, a lot of more rock/less new-age world music (like the garage rock comps from India, Latin America, SE Asia)...

About the only hip-hop is mostly older - De La Soul, Jungle Brothers, Tribe Called Quest, PE, Digable Planets; Roots are still going...

Most people who know me know that I listen to mainly Trance and a bit of House. I'm currently an amateur DJ perfecting my skill for the future. My IPOD is full of music from DJ Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk, Eddie Halliwell, Giuseppe Ottaviani, Rank 1, Airwave, Cosmic Gate, Sander Van Doorn, Sasha, John Digweed, etc.

I'm a bit similar to mcheiss, although I don't collect much House music.. I only listen to it at the clubs. I do more of the Trance, Hard Dance, and Goa/Psy-Trance. Ohhh artists hmm..

Markus Schulz

Armin van Buuren

Sander van Doorn

Randy Katana

Rank 1

Yoji Biomehanika

Dumonde / JamX & DeLeon

DJ Scot Project

Joop

Skazi

Infected Mushroom

Psyfly

I'm a bit similar to mcheiss, although I don't collect much House music.. I only listen to it at the clubs. I do more of the Trance, Hard Dance, and Goa/Psy-Trance. Ohhh artists hmm..

Markus Schulz

Armin van Buuren

Sander van Doorn

Randy Katana

Rank 1

Yoji Biomehanika

Dumonde / JamX & DeLeon

DJ Scot Project

Joop

Skazi

Infected Mushroom

Psyfly

I listen to a lot of stuff, but my current Top Twenty over at last.fm (weighted heavily to the last two months, since I've started downloading my ipod listens to it), says:

1. Radiohead. My favorite band.

2. The Long Blondes. Been listening to them a ton over the last two months or so. British garage rock.

3. The Cardigans. Swedish pop. I love Nina Perrsons voice

4. Mates of State. Indie music. Husband and wife, piano and drums.

5. Goldfrapp. I'm sure the true techno-clubbie folks here think they are too mainstream, and the rock guys think all techno-stuff sucks. But I love them.

6. The Beatles.

7. Interpol. Can't wait for new stuff from them. My favorite band from the U.S.

8. U2. I've been bored by them lately. I mostly listen to Boy, Achtung, and POP.

9. The Knife. Awesome electronica.

10. Shiny Toy Guns. I'm not sure how I've managed to listen to them so much. Pretty much disposable eletronic rock.

11. Pixies. 80's style indie

12. The Sounds. Most garage rock, this time from Sweden.

13. Garbage. Love their old stuff, the newer isn't doing much for me.

14. Bloc Party. Their new album came out yesterday, their playtime will go up as a result.

15. The Clash. If you don't know the Clash, you should.

16. The Arcade Fire. These guys are right behind Radiohead as my favorite band currently recording. However I overlistened to Funeral and haven't been listening as much lately. New album drops in March, they will go right back to the top of my charts.

17. Joy Division. Anyone who knows anything would have asked where Joy Division was after reading my top ten.

18. Editors. More upbeat, slightly more fun version of Interpol. Not as good though.

19. The White Stripes. Definitely prefer Jack White with the Stripes rather than the Racoenteurs.

20. TV on the Radio. One of the best albums of 2006 was their Return to Cookie Mountain.

This is pretty representative of my current tastes, although not of my overall music life. I used to love classic rock and metal, just not into them as much anymore.

I like lots of music:

Classic rock: pretty much anything

American Folk music.. Cat Stevens, Arlo Guthrie

Dance music

Rap/Hip-Hop...

Bands I really like:

Fleetwood Mac

The Darkness

Fettes Brot

Gorillaz

I like pretty much all music except contemporary Christian and most newer country (say, after 1980). I especially hate Toby Keith.

^ toby keith is the worst. his rise to fame gives creedence to an impending apocalypse.

i like:

john coltrane

blonde redhead

polvo

sonic youth

joy division / new order

my bloody valentine

slowdive

eno

willie nelson

eric dolphy

wire

leonard cohen

sun ra

caetano veloso

pixies

stereolab

velvet underground

cocteau twins

aphex twin

suicide

kraftwerk

talking heads

fugazi

gillian welsh

bullship

bowie

the la's

lee hazlewood

flaming lips

swervedriver

the zombies

benji hughes

juana molina

nina simone

boards of canada

air

cat power

unwound.............. to name a few.

i love many of the musicians listed above by others. davidals, we have lots in common. brick, i love arcade fire and have already heard their upcoming disc ;). IMO, it' no FUNERAL.

i grew up on a mixture of UTFO, depeche mode, prince, duran duran, led zepplin, madonna, peter paul & mary, the police, white lion, and eric b & rakim.

^ I've always liked the La's, even though they got screwed by the Sixpence None the Richer or whatever with that remake.

Let me also add REM (I know I said all Athens bands, but I think REM deserves a mention on its own). As well, the Talking Heads!!! Oh man, how could not add them. "Psycho Killer" is one of the ten best songs ever.

widespread panic is most definitely a real jam band (one of the more popular ones, especially in the south, and one of the more original sounding ones). they've definitely got a southern rock type sound (like the allman brothers for example, another jam band), but that doesn't make them any less jam band.

^ I've always liked the La's, even though they got screwed by the Sixpence None the Richer or whatever with that remake.

Let me also add REM (I know I said all Athens bands, but I think REM deserves a mention on its own). As well, the Talking Heads!!! Oh man, how could not add them. "Psycho Killer" is one of the ten best songs ever.

Ah yes, the Allman Brothers, Georgia second greatest rock band. My cousin is really into the String Cheese Incident.

REM is awesome (i assume they're the best rock band from GA?).

string cheese used to be good when they played bluegrass... but since phish took their hiatus in 2000, they tried to take their place. the electric guitarist they have decided he needed to be trey and jerry... and has no style of his own other than exactly copying the way they play. their acoustic guitarist left recently to do his own thing... he was the best part of that band.

Here's some of my favorites in no real order...

Melvins

Type O Negative

Nirvana

Neutral Milk Hotel

Jucifer

Massive Attack

King's X

Pearl Jam

Kyuss

PJ Harvey

Mars Volta

Decemberists

Bloc Party

Slint

Dalek

Sky Cries Mary

Cat Power

Ministry

Revolting Cocks

Fugazi

Prodigy

Leslie Feist

Sunny Day Real Estate

The Fire Theft

Rasputina

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The list goes one but that's good for now...

Archived