Grove Street School Illegal Demolition

jencoleslaw

from kari lang at wbna this morning:

A neighbor of the Grove Street School just came in to say that yesterday (Sunday) at 7:30am he heard two men in the Grove Street School ripping out pipes. He approached them and asked them what they were doing. They said they were the owners and were preparing the building for demolition. He said he is making a parking lot there and that he will start demolition on Wednesday. Please call the Mayor (421-7740) and your elected officials and ask them to intervene to help save this historic school building. Anything else you can do to save this building would be appreciated. It is an important West Side building that has been listed on the Providence Preservation Society's Most Endangered List.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just left a message with Jason Martin at Planning (401-351-4300) informing him of the impending demolition. Jason deals with all HDC related matters. I'm hoping that if no HDC approval was obtained for this demo that this can be the determining factor in halting it. I'm going to call the mayor's office as well.

no news yet, but i can tell you that the mayors office has been BOMBARDED with calls and questions. Jason Martin sent the police out to the site (for the 3rd time, at least) and we'll see what happens. i just realised though, that because the non profit i work for is technically an abutter (i'm pretty sure we're within 200 ft) that i have "standing."

no news yet, but i can tell you that the mayors office has been BOMBARDED with calls and questions. Jason Martin sent the police out to the site (for the 3rd time, at least) and we'll see what happens. i just realised though, that because the non profit i work for is technically an abutter (i'm pretty sure we're within 200 ft) that i have "standing."

Wow. That's awful. Assuming this is an illegal teardown, I bet the penalties for doing this are so minimal that a property owner who is sleazy enough is just willing to pay the fine as part of the cost of doing business. A year at the ACI on the other hand would probably be more of a deterrent.

This building is listed as part of the ICBD, which means that it is not supposed to be demolished without approval from the Historic District Commission. Unless the HDC approved the demolition, this is a clear violation.

With Paolino and the gas station, it was a different matter in that it was unclear whether the building was under any sort of protection. I remember that Paolino pointed out that the borders of the Downcity Historic District were ambiguous and that the building was outside the district according to one definition.

This demo not only violated hdc demo but a stop work order issued by the city as well. And the owner is a lawyer for the city so I don't think the "oops" defense is going to work. He should lose his job.

I got word while at my gram's 90th bday party that there is to be a police presence at the site to keep more demo from happening but the damage has been done just like it was planned the city now has to. Figure out what punishment will be dolled out. I suppose now would be a good time to exercise eminent domain since the value of that property just tanked. Suddenly fair market value is a little more paletable, hmmm?

The WBNA was holding their annual Board retreat, so the entire WBNA Board was there.

The demo was being done by Bil-Ray, who I hear is the same firm who tore down the Pawtucket train station.

A prominent Providence architect (who I won't name since I don't speak for him) told me "It can be fixed." They tore off one corner of the building. The city should take the property away from the for flagrantly violating the law, then hit them with the bill to repair the damage. It's absurd that they felt they could flaunt the law and tear down and protected building, just to make a parking lot.

There are pictures out in the world somewhere. My copy of them was corrupted, though.

Just saw Jen on channel 10!

This demo not only violated hdc demo but a stop work order issued by the city as well. And the owner is a lawyer for the city so I don't think the "oops" defense is going to work. He should lose his job.

I got word while at my gram's 90th bday party that there is to be a police presence at the site to keep more demo from happening but the damage has been done just like it was planned the city now has to. Figure out what punishment will be dolled out. I suppose now would be a good time to exercise eminent domain since the value of that property just tanked. Suddenly fair market value is a little more paletable, hmmm?

Ironic that someone who is trained to uphold the law has no problem violating it in such a blatant, self-serving manner. ~sigh~

I'm not sure I follow the eminent domain rationale - please explain the basis for that? Simply as a form of punishment or would there be some sort of public purpose served?

here was my horoscope for today, which i just looked at.

Quickie: Be open to last-minute rescheduling -- you will not be disappointed.

Overview: A delightfully stimulating opportunity pops up when you least expect it, but you have to be willing to take advantage of it when it appears. Those extra-sharp critical faculties of yours will help you spot it.

:lol:

Just drove by it now and the police are there. Honestly, the owners should pay for that expense.

Yes the WBNA board was on our retreat and were ironically in front of the West Broadway Elementary School talking about what we could do to save it when we learned that the demo at Grove Street School was going on. We raced over there, but by then they were already starting it.

What was very frustrating was that we told the "foreman" that there was a stop work order and they told us that they would stop, and just had to lower the equipment. Instead, they kept ripping it down. This went on for about 5 mintues before the cops showed up.

The mayor and building inspector were there within the hour, they were not at all pleased. Mayor talked with all of the people there and the media.

Should have seen the looks on these demo guys faces all smiles and laughter as we were standing there. They truly enjoy their work and dont give a crap.

I saw Jen on the news, and Jen you made sense! They edited you properly...

oh man...

I used to live across the street from that building. All the neighbors had that place on suicide watch for the last few years. I can't believe the scumbag owners had the balls to do this.

Of course its on a Saturday morning, thats when they all do the dirty work.

I just got home and was watching the news when they mentioned a historic building in Providence being torn down illegally i KNEW it was Grove street. Jen you were awesome on tv! Cicilline seemed pissed off as well.

Being a member of the immediate neighborhood, I have to admit to being a bit perplexed. They want to build a parking lot for....what? As far as I can tell, most of our neighbors have driveway parking. And its not like we have a particularly happenin' nightlife in our several-block radius.

This is maddening.

Archived