Grove Street School Illegal Demolition

jencoleslaw

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Er, I'm not sure how Jen and Cotuit having a little fun constitutes bad mouthing the city.

Not that she doesn't bad mouth the city (where appropriate), but the post you replied to didn't really have much to do with anything except the fact that Jen has a crush on our moderator. :wub:

It's just that, since you don't live here anymore, it seems extremely tacky and obtuse to just show up on here to badmouth Providence. I understand the outrage here, I live directly across Broadway from this and have to look at it every day of my life. But seriously, you do it all the time, and it's so counterproductive. Maybe it is just me, but seriously, what's the point? It's annoying, just as annoying as "Jerry2", or any of the others who drop in from some far off location just to write slander here. Maybe everyone else here is your friend, and I just don't get the dynamic or the inside jokes between them, but I'm not gonna hold my tongue for fear of being pwned by the urbanplanet gestapo. It's also not that I necessarily dislike you, I just think it's all a bit much in a time of crisis for the neighborhood and the city.

There, I'm finished.

• 1 year later...

They should pay the fine for starting the demolition without the permit. and the buidling should then be condemned by the city and put out to bid all over again. If someone wants to rehab the building or wants the land they will have to be the highest bidder.

Sigh.

The city shouldn't have to ever be in the position of seizing (i.e. paying for) a building they once owned. This was sold to the Tarro's in 1993 (!!). How are we ensuring that the city has learned a lesson here? When we sell our property, we need to have guarantees that the property will be used in a manner that is in the best interest of the city (i.e. not a f*cking surface parking lot). And if the entity does not develop the property competently and quickly, it should revert to the city, free and clear.

Public Safety Building Memorial Parking Lot, I'm looking at you!

Sigh.

The city shouldn't have to ever be in the position of seizing (i.e. paying for) a building they once owned. This was sold to the Tarro's in 1993 (!!). How are we ensuring that the city has learned a lesson here? When we sell our property, we need to have guarantees that the property will be used in a manner that is in the best interest of the city (i.e. not a f*cking surface parking lot). And if the entity does not develop the property competently and quickly, it should revert to the city, free and clear.

Public Safety Building Memorial Parking Lot, I'm looking at you!

The longer this goes on with no positive resolution, the greater the chances are some some court, somewhere will eventually say that the building is unsafe and needs to come down.

Or

The place will mysteriously burn down one night. Soon. Do we really want to lose another building in order to "teach a lesson?" Honestly, we know that the city doesn't learn lessons, and neither do scofflaws, so the best possible outcome, in my opinion, is to move forward on the building without the Tarros. I'm pretty sure the city can bill them for the remediation, not unlike what the city does when they clean a vacant and trash strewn lot--although, then they usually put a lien on the property so not sure that exact plan would work, but I'm pretty sure if you ask one of other OTHER city solicitors (other than michael tarro, that is) you might find a creative solution that saves the building and turns it back into a neighborhood asset before it disappears forever.

• 3 months later...

Archived