Grove Street School Illegal Demolition

jencoleslaw

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being a member of the immediate neighborhood, I have to admit to being a bit perplexed. They want to build a parking lot for....what? As far as I can tell, most of our neighbors have driveway parking. And its not like we have a particularly happenin' nightlife in our several-block radius.

This is maddening.

Not being an attorney, my guess is disbarment would be not be a viable option because of the nature of the offense - demoing his property without a permit probably isn't directly related to his professional work. As such, there probably is no basis for disbarment.

Having said that, though, I am wondering if the Disciplinary Board of the State Supreme Court might be an option on something like this - here's a link: RI Disciplinary Board.

Which brings me to my question above--maybe its not about parking at all, but a way of reminding those of us who actually care about the quality of life in our neighborhoods that we "newcomers" mean nothing, and that the old standby of doing what you want for no or little reason, still is the preferred method of doing business. Very disappointing.

Here's what it looks like today. When we went by this morning after breakfast, the contractors were smokin' and jokin with the police officer stationed there. maybe they came to visit their front loader. i don't think we can get him disbarred either. But maybe he should not work in the city's law department at all.

post-5868-1170606645_thumb.jpg

post-5868-1170606645_thumb.jpg

Here's what it looks like today. When we went by this morning after breakfast, the contractors were smokin' and jokin with the police officer stationed there. maybe they came to visit their front loader. i don't think we can get him disbarred either. But maybe he should not work in the city's law department at all.

Its the same old same old in Little Rhody.

Here is a really, REALLY easy partial fix - take the Contractor's License away from the Demo Contractor. This case is flagrant disregard for permits and stop work orders, and they should immediately be barred from legally doing construction work. Won't do much, but the contractor is just about as responsible as the owner in this case.

it is encouraging that Mayor Cicilline seems to be stepping in, at least - that could keep things from getting worse.

Its the same old same old in Little Rhody.

Here is a really, REALLY easy partial fix - take the Contractor's License away from the Demo Contractor. This case is flagrant disregard for permits and stop work orders, and they should immediately be barred from legally doing construction work. Won't do much, but the contractor is just about as responsible as the owner in this case.

it is encouraging that Mayor Cicilline seems to be stepping in, at least - that could keep things from getting worse.

My wife was thinking that maybe this would be a good opportunity to have an "I AM PROVIDENCE" (to steal a play from Ted Rao) rally protesting this type of behavior that has negative consequences on our neighborhoods without any reprecussions to the businesses involved. This kind of bullsh1t has to stop. There needs to be SERIOUS penalties for this type of behavior.

Agreed - ya gotta hit'em in the wallet.

How about this:

1. Surface parking lots, vacant lots and unoccupied buildings should be assessed at the highest tax rate. That might provide an incentive for development, no?

2. Suspension of contractor's license for several months plus a fine that is some percentage of the property assessment being demoed or a percentage of what they're being paid for the demolition.

Both parties, the owner and the contractor, need to be held accountable.

Agreed - ya gotta hit'em in the wallet.

How about this:

1. Surface parking lots, vacant lots and unoccupied buildings should be assessed at the highest tax rate. That might provide an incentive for development, no?

2. Suspension of contractor's license for several months plus a fine that is some percentage of the property assessment being demoed or a percentage of what they're being paid for the demolition.

Both parties, the owner and the contractor, need to be held accountable.

It's for the living, not the dead that they are looking for parking (Tarro funeral home). I guess the Tarro who plays with cadavers wants to kill our buildings too. He resents the fact that he can't do anything he wants with this building even though his dad must have gotten this site under very unsavory means (Hey its a public school--how the heck do these weasels end up with all our public properties--e.g. Bell Str. Park, St. John's parking lot, Federal Hill lot--with no public comment?).

I have contacted the state asbestos inspector and will also contact the lead ones to see if they are compromising the health of the immediate neighbors.

Anne

Being a member of the immediate neighborhood, I have to admit to being a bit perplexed. They want to build a parking lot for....what? As far as I can tell, most of our neighbors have driveway parking. And its not like we have a particularly happenin' nightlife in our several-block radius.

This is maddening.

It's actaually an excavator. a backhoes has the 'arm' bucket in the back with a hydraulic 'scoop' in the front.

A front end loader is similar to an excavator but it has a large 'scoop' in the front. Many of these machines can interchange features as well.

sorry to go off topic - just wanted to clarify.

It's actaually an excavator. a backhoes has the 'arm' bucket in the back with a hydraulic 'scoop' in the front.

A front end loader is similar to an excavator but it has a large 'scoop' in the front. Many of these machines can interchange features as well.

sorry to go off topic - just wanted to clarify.

It's for the living, not the dead that they are looking for parking (Tarro funeral home). I guess the Tarro who plays with cadavers wants to kill our buildings too. He resents the fact that he can't do anything he wants with this building even though his dad must have gotten this site under very unsavory means (Hey its a public school--how the heck do these weasels end up with all our public properties--e.g. Bell Str. Park, St. John's parking lot, Federal Hill lot--with no public comment?).

I have contacted the state asbestos inspector and will also contact the lead ones to see if they are compromising the health of the immediate neighbors.

Anne

Just went by - historic doors still hanging on their hinges, blowing in the wind...

And a cop car sitting there in a 24 hour detail.

Heres another suggestion that better be in process - injunction filed against the owner for any further demo, and a civil lawsuit brought against them to reimburse the city for the big bucks spent on the police detail, and whatever other things some attorneys can come up with. Michael Tarro should know all about that, seeing as he is a lawyer...

Archived