Grove Street School Illegal Demolition

jencoleslaw

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I question someone saying she would be willing to leave Providence if the building comes down. I say she must not have been very much in love with the city to begin with. The Tarros on the other hand have been on Federal Hill for three generations and the younger generation continues to remain there and refurbish and rebuild because they continue to have love for their roots.

C'mon Liam! Freewilly said that she/he/it thinks surface parking lots are beauteous aesthetic features that contribute to the vitality and quality of life in any city - no block should be without one! The smell of hot asphalt in the summer, the trash swirling about like tiny whirling dervishes, the gleeful chirp of the car alarm at all hours of the day . . . sigh - I'm getting all misty-eyed just thinking about it! :silly:

It makes no difference how long a family has been here.. there are good people and there are bad people. The Tarro's and Pave-a-lino's are bad. Jencoleslaw and people that try to preserve our history (art in ruins) and beautify our neighborhoods are good. get it? Now go park someone's car.

I was going to comment on this but my opinion would end up getting flagged anyway. Let's just say that this building is/was unsalvageable for any legitimate purpose of restoration. It has suffered the elements and has been vacant for over 4 decades. People will have you believe it was recently vacated and ripe with development offers. While I think the intent of creating more parking is ridiculous and unsuitable for the neighborhood, one must realize that as long as there is this ridiculous parking ban, people will continue to pave their yards and bulldoze reparable historic buildings in a quest to avoid $15 tickets.

I used to think you were a little alarmist when it came to your earlier posts about the Arcade's future. However, given what happened here, I have new-found respect for your views and concerns. Thanks for helping me see the light of day when it comes to the hidden agendas of some Providence developers and business people.

while i do not have any inside scoop on this, i think that ED is a last resort, which is a disappointment to me. The idea that we are going to somehow make the owners rebuild seems ridiculous to me, but i suppose there is method to the madness and all will be revealed at some point. i hope. I really really hope that this doesn't become the new funeral home, with the two acres of parking on broadway being the parking lot for it...

while i do not have any inside scoop on this, i think that ED is a last resort, which is a disappointment to me. The idea that we are going to somehow make the owners rebuild seems ridiculous to me, but i suppose there is method to the madness and all will be revealed at some point. i hope. I really really hope that this doesn't become the new funeral home, with the two acres of parking on broadway being the parking lot for it...

Archived