Parking in Downtown Muskegon

rightseat

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems like the best thread for me to post these photos I took a couple weeks ago:

373784031_f3b0a079c2_b.jpg

373784028_46f9caada5_b.jpg

I know a lot of people get confused that the city owned this ramp that is being demolished and the new ramp at 3rd and Morris will be owned by the county. Some people seem to be under the impression the city is tearing down it's old ramp and building a brand new one a block away.

• 3 months later...

The County is moving ahead with their new parking ramp.

From this article:

Muskegon County Commissioner Bill Gill may never like the idea, but his colleagues on the county board are determined to use $2.2 million in federal funds to build a new parking ramp on Third Street in downtown Muskegon.

Construction of the new parking ramp, which will be at Third and Morris streets across from the Holiday Inn Muskegon Harbor, could begin by next spring, they said.

I have heard a rumor that there might be another parking ramp built in the same place where they just tore down the one at First and Clay. If there were any true to that, what a kick in the pocket book. Government...

• 3 months later...
Well if there were another parking ramp built there it wouldn't be by the city or county because the city sold that ramp last year to the demolition company that tore it down. Under that agreement it will be a surface lot for 5 years and than they will be able to redevelop the site.

This comment was made at another location...

About the Muskegon parking ramp.

"Not really. It was in pretty rough shape and needed quite of bit of money put into it."

Not what I personally witness. An engineer said it would be between 500,000 to 750,000 to bring it back and the the demo people said it was in good shape, "no rust" in the re-barb as what was expected.

So, it's gone and we must move on. but to understand the truth, we must be careful on what we say and write.

Newspapers, magazines, etc... so much print to be left to the human imagination.

Downtown parking to some is a concern and can be a problem. On Morris there are over 500 spaces to park a vehicle, but it's chained off and who know when that will be settled.

I live downtown and have a bicycle and two old legs to get around. You manage... so don't worry so much on parking. That's why we have tow trucks.

Maybe if we dis-allowed vehicles in the downtown area we wouldn't have a problem, something like Mackinac Island. Now there's a thought. Use electric cars, horses, golf carts. Creative Thinking.

That is so correct, it is a lot of money, so is 5 to 7 million to replace a parking ramp with less spaces...it is something that must take serious thought and consideration before making a move. I am curious as to what actually will transpire on the corner of Morris and Third Street, in the way of parking.

It does not matter at this point, what is done is done. Just have to stop making these kind of mistakes and it was a mistake.

What is most amazing is usually these things take care of themselves and we actually move forward. Takes a little longer, but downtown is changing.

The City of Muskegon will not be spending $5,000,000 to $7,000,000 for parking, period. I believe the County's federal grant for a new bus station and parking structure is $2,300,000. The private sector will be addressing their own parking needs with their own money. I know of three property owners working together to address the parking needs at Western and First.

Archived