Public Housing

jmanhsv

The City of Huntsville announced about a year ago that it would demolish the 50-year old Councill Court public housing project. Plans are to build a mid-rise apartment building for seniors and to sell the rest (15 out of the 20 acres) to developers. The land could cost up to $1M an acre. Huntsville Hospital, which is near Councill Court, is interested in buying at least some of the property.

Two developers, Pennrose Properties of Philadelphia and Integral Group of Atlanta, are currently competing to draw up a redevelopment plan for the property. The city will make their decision hopefully within the next month. Huntsville Times article

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The City of Huntsville announced about a year ago that it would demolish the 50-year old Councill Court public housing project. Plans are to build a mid-rise apartment building for seniors and to sell the rest (15 out of the 20 acres) to developers. The land could cost up to $1M an acre. Huntsville Hospital, which is near Councill Court, is interested in buying at least some of the property.

Two developers, Pennrose Properties of Philadelphia and Integral Group of Atlanta, are currently competing to draw up a redevelopment plan for the property. The city will make their decision hopefully within the next month. Huntsville Times article

^I would also like to see some mixed use development here to close the gap between Downtown and the Medical District. I'm really hoping that Huntsville Hospital doesn't buy the whole area. It is doubtful considering the price per acre could reach $1M, but they do seem to have an aggressive expansion plan.

Unfortuately, I see Huntsville Hospital doing exactly that. Most larger regional medical center nowadays are going about the campus route (just use UAB Medical Center and Medical District in Memphis as examples). Huntsville Hospital seems no different especially with UA's Medical School extension program being done through them.

Unfortuately, I see Huntsville Hospital doing exactly that. Most larger regional medical center nowadays are going about the campus route (just use UAB Medical Center and Medical District in Memphis as examples). Huntsville Hospital seems no different especially with UA's Medical School extension program being done through them.

the master plan being developed for the property won't allow the hospital to buy all of it even if they could.

I think you will see a good mix of medical, commercial, retail, hospitality and housing in the development,

With the expansion and widening of Governor's Drive (3 year project) through the Medical District underway this will enhance the area even more.

I could see a nice townhome style development doing well in that area along with some mixed retail. It would be an ideal area to walk to many restaurants and businesses downtown and in the medical district. I don't see any high rise condo/apartment developments happening there though. I don't think the old money of Twickenham would allow it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Public housing was probably one of the biggest blunders of 20th Century urban planning. It worked well for a while, but then it created concentrated hotbeds of crime and poverty, which, in turn, accelerated the middle class exodus into the suburbs. It really depresses me when I drive down University Drive now- it looks like a dump between Pulaski Pike and Meadow Dr. And the funny thing is, on one side of that, there's Costco, Starbucks, and Books-A-Million; the other side has Olive Garden and a Porsche/Land Rover/Jaguar/BMW dealership.

Yes, Huntsville has too much public housing... Then again, I think any city with public housing has too much. I think Huntsville is doing the right thing by tearing down/redeveloping the projects, especially the ones closest to downtown. They sit on land that could be used for better purposes, and it'll reduce crime and improve schools in the area, enticing more people to live there.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Huntsville has a rather large amount of public housing. Just about every major road in the city has public housing on in. I usually see some in other cities, but not everywhere you look!

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of funny that you guys call these areas dumps. Now don't get me wrong they are not the best places, but compared to public housing in other cities the ones in Huntsville arent that bad compared to ie; Chattanooga, Montgomery, Jackson, MS. I had a friend come down (Milwaukee) and we did a benefit for some kids out of Butler Terrace and they were surprised that I called the building projects. If you guys think those are dumps on University then you would hate to see public housing at 85% of military post. Northwood Projects = Stryker Village Ft. Campbell.

It's kind of funny that you guys call these areas dumps. Now don't get me wrong they are not the best places, but compared to public housing in other cities the ones in Huntsville arent that bad compared to ie; Chattanooga, Montgomery, Jackson, MS. I had a friend come down (Milwaukee) and we did a benefit for some kids out of Butler Terrace and they were surprised that I called the building projects. If you guys think those are dumps on University then you would hate to see public housing at 85% of military post. Northwood Projects = Stryker Village Ft. Campbell.

Archived