Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DetroitMan

State seeking input for U.S. 10 upgrade

10 posts in this topic

They are criticizing ramps and interchange designs that really aren't all that bad. And many of them have received a good amount of maintenace already. The concrete on US-10 is a bit newer than the greater part of US-23 through Genesee Co. Maybe about 10 years old or so? That's still pretty new for concrete. It's a smooth ride. I'm looking for the justifications for improving it, but I don't see any. M-30 is in Sanford. In fact my friend lives off M-30. I've experienced those ramps and they are fine.

Yeah, that is pretty new for concrete. Some of the concrete on the Davison Freeway was 50 something years old before it was replaced in the 90's.

I-675 was built in 1969 and is still original as well, and in excellent shape.

BTW, does anyone know if a third and fourth phase will be constructed for I-75 between Birch Run and the Zilwaukee bridge? Or at least 8 lane freeway between 675 and 475?

Not a clue. Maybe, some days it needs it, others it doesnt.

I think that US-10 could stand an upgrade or two. The cloverleaf at US-10 and I-75 is nasty; I'm surprised they haven't tried to acquire more land and put in "flyover" ramps. It might be a tight squeeze, but I could see a better exit being shoehorned in there.

Also, the M-47 junction is kind of like a cloverleaf cut in half - when you take the ramp from WB US-10 to SB M-47, you're cutting across traffic that's entering US-10 from M-47 NB. I would turn this exit into a "trumpet" ( http://kurumi.com/roads/interchanges/trumpet.html ).

Thirdly, I would try to increase capacity a little bit at the Mackinaw Rd. and Garfield Rd. exits. It sure wouldn't hurt any.

I cant really remebember what any of the ramps are like.

Whats a flyover ramp?

^ I-475/I-69

Popular in urban areas because they don't require too much space. Los Angeles has a lot of cleaner examples.

Wherever land is cheap, cloverleafs are used despite the fact that they take up way more space and are dangerous.