Would you support a regional "Transit" Sales Tax?

GRDadof3

Would you support a regional "Transit/Non-Motorized" Sales Tax?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support an increase in local sales tax to provide support for...

• Increased metro-wide mass transit?
    • Increased recreational amenities (parks/trails expansion) in Kent County?
    • Yes to all
    • No to all
    • Another source should be investigated
  2. 2. Would you support a local sales tax increase of..

• .25% to increase sales tax to 6.25%, or $20 Million/year?
    • .50% to increase sales tax to 6.50%, or $40 Million/year?
    • 1.00% to increase sales tax to 7.00%, or $80 Million/year?
    • I wouldn't support any sales tax increase
    • I think another funding source should be looked at
  3. 3. Would you ride mass transit if service ran in your area

• Yes, I would ride mass transit and support a tax increase
    • No, I would not ride mass transit and not support funding at all
    • No, I would not ride mass transit but would support funding for transit
    • Other

Kayem Dunn, executive director of the Foundation for Interior Design Education Research and chair of the Downtown Development Authority, suggested that downtown Grand Rapids’ greatest need is more people.

“People living, working, visiting. As there are more and more people, that will drive the addition of other things to serve those people. It’s about density.”

A corporate headquarters or an educational institution could easily add density, she said, but so could public transportation.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Until the city can show us that they're being good stewards of the taxes we already give to them, NO, I would not support an additional road tax.

Road repair and maintenance is an essential city service that should be a priority in the existing budget. I'm far from an "anti-tax" conservative (voted for Library, Rapid, GRCC millages), but clamoring for a new tax to fix our crappy roads rather than demanding fiscal responsibility from our city officials is totally backwards.

Until the city can show us that they're being good stewards of the taxes we already give to them, NO, I would not support an additional road tax.

Road repair and maintenance is an essential city service that should be a priority in the existing budget. I'm far from an "anti-tax" conservative (voted for Library, Rapid, GRCC millages), but clamoring for a new tax to fix our crappy roads rather than demanding fiscal responsibility from our city officials is totally backwards.

• 1 month later...

I could support a tax f that money was used to fix the roads with QUALITY materials, even if it's brick, so that they remain usable for more than a year or if it is used in the actual construction of a light rail line, not for the commissioning of preliminary studies to see the feasibility of the potential of a light rail line that runs six blocks, to be built in 10 years.

Not a dime for the employment of paper pushers and the generation of worthless booklets that will end up in the garbage.

Archived