Florida

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Greyhound UP{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}date

6-3.jpg

6.jpg

Seems the work on the exterior of the building has been completed. Its not beautiful but its a big improvement.

Why is this a big deal? For quite a while, the Greyhound facility with frontage on one of Tallahassee's major highways (US 90, aka Tennessee Street) has been an eyesore and a major reason for the percieved blight of the corridor. The rehab of the facility can been seen as a catalyst to spark similar remodels or redevelopments for surrounding parcels.

About two months ago, I was involved with a project at FDOT shortly before I started there. We were dealing with the multi-modal connections between different modes of transit in all the metro areas in Florida.

One thing that I thought was apparent was the need for easy connections between Greyhound and local transit agencies. Greyhound caters to a clientele that is largely transit-dependent, and what we found was that in most of the metro areas, connections between Greyhound and mass transit agencies was difficult.

Tallahassee is a nearly perfect in having a great connection........all people have to do when leaving the Greyhound station is cross Tenn. Street to get to the bus plaza. And I have seen a LOT of people get on StarMetro buses that have just arrived on a Greyhound bus. We're lucky; most places in Florida have terrible connections between Greyhound and local buses.

In Atlanta, their Greyhound station is combined with a MARTA station on a street closed to vehicular traffic. Should Tallahassee get additional modes of transit that are going to be used heavily in the future (i.e. Amtrak service restored to Tallahassee, commuture rail, etc), we should develop a "transportation mall" that allows seamless connections between all these modes. What do you all think?

I actually think that's a great idea. From what I've seen in most other cities I've visited that have built new Greyhound Facilities they've located them near their train stations. I'm not sure if the mass transit facilities in these particular cities was nearby but the Greyhound / Train Station combo has always had an appeal to me. However, seeing how close the two facilities are (Greyhound and StarMetro) as you've already noted, I'd hope to see some sort of Pedestrian Bridge built making it easier to cross Tennessee Street to get from one to the other. I think that would be an awesome thing!

Looks 500% better than it used to, I gotta agree!

(Although it wasn't nearly as bad as the old Ansett place on Crawfordville Hwy was :shok: .)

A pedestrian bridge would be super - perhaps the powers that be should visit Daytona and have a look at the Dale Earnhardt memorial bridge over US92? That one's mighty nice.

A transportation centre would be great, unfortunatly the railroad tracks are too far away for it to be truly practical if we get Amtrak service back (I'd say "when", but given how the government treats Amtrak I'll be watching for flying pigs first.).

Y'know, I've had the thought of running commuter trains up the CSX N-S line to Havana and Bainbridge...

Tallahassee is a nearly perfect in having a great connection........all people have to do when leaving the Greyhound station is cross Tenn. Street to get to the bus plaza. And I have seen a LOT of people get on StarMetro buses that have just arrived on a Greyhound bus. We're lucky; most places in Florida have terrible connections between Greyhound and local buses.

Archived