Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saraphina7

IKEA Nashville - Commercials

22 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard anything about Nashville getting an IKEA? I've noticed them showing a lot of commercials lately....is it just because of the ATL location? Or are they starting a buzz?

It probably wouldn't hurt to test the markets spending power out. It's not like they aren't in our neighborhood.

If they're opening a store in Charlotte also, I would doubt Nashville would get one by proximity.

It's not like we all don't know where it would be built if it happens. Green Hills, Cool Springs, or Murfreesboro, those are the no brainer locations.

If they're opening a store in Charlotte also, I would doubt Nashville would get one by proximity.

Charlotte is 450 miles away from Nashville. No offense to Charlotte, but if I'm going to drive 8 hours to shop I'd be heading to Chicago which is about the same distance.

I think lexy is saying that Charlotte may be closer to ATL than Nashville is To ATL, so proximity wouldn't necessarily dictate whether Nashville could land Ikea.

I think lexy is saying that Charlotte may be closer to ATL than Nashville is To ATL, so proximity wouldn't necessarily dictate whether Nashville could land Ikea.

It's not like we all don't know where it would be built if it happens. Green Hills, Cool Springs, or Murfreesboro, those are the no brainer locations.

So IKEA is running commericals in Nashville. That's really odd.

Not to Nashville bash, I've always thought the shopping scene in that town is dismal. And I generally detest shopping!

Haven't I read that most of the big-time national retailers won't even look at a market until its core municipality (e.g. Nashville/Davidson) has a population greater than 600K? If true... now that it's been attained for NSH, it will take a few years for that census info to get digested by the marketers. So, anything's possible (if that's true). By 2010, you guys may see your Nordstrom after all.

FWIW: I've only been in the local IKEA once, and was (frankly) unimpressed. Even my wife (shopper extraordinaire) wasn't turned-on. I can see their niche however.

Not to Nashville bash, I've always thought the shopping scene in that town is dismal. And I generally detest shopping!

Haven't I read that most of the big-time national retailers won't even look at a market until its core municipality (e.g. Nashville/Davidson) has a population greater than 600K? If true... now that it's been attained for NSH, it will take a few years for that census info to get digested by the marketers. So, anything's possible (if that's true). By 2010, you guys may see your Nordstrom after all.

FWIW: I've only been in the local IKEA once, and was (frankly) unimpressed. Even my wife (shopper extraordinaire) wasn't turned-on. I can see their niche however.

From what I understand, IKEA has a pretty aggressive expansion plan, something like 50 stores in 10 years. So, I wouldn't be suprised if one is announced for Nash. in the next year or two.

Well, as of right now, Nashville shopping IS dismal. But it does seem that we are finally drawing some new stores that I didn't think we'd ever have. (West Elm, Anthropologie, etc.) We still have a long way to go, obviously.

And I moved here from ATL, so I go back there to visit family often. I've been very impressed with the IKEA there, except for the fact that they run out of stock ALL the time. I know of about 15 people from Nashville that take trips to ATL to shop there. I think one would do well here.

Charlotte is closer to Atlanta than us I think. Both have IKEA's. Wouldn't that rule out what you just posted?? Anyways, their a business and if they think they can make a go of it and do well, they will. But you do have a good point.

I know that IKEA is building a distribution center of sorts in Savannah, GA to help support the ATL store and future stores in the south. Who knows, perhaps one day Nashville will see the big blue box. But until then, don't lie about your zip code when you shop at other locations.

An older news article

Has anyone heard anything about Nashville getting an IKEA? I've noticed them showing a lot of commercials lately....is it just because of the ATL location? Or are they starting a buzz?

Obviously population has nothing to do with it. I say this becuase Woodbridge, VA has an Ikea with a population less than 50,000. There are also several other smaller population cities with an Ikea.

Ikea only builds stores in cities with a 1.5-2 million+ metro population. Woodbridge is just outside DC in NoVA. I don't see why they wouldn't see Nashville as a good location for one. My fingers are crossed for you! I wish we could get one here in Richmond.