Belk's Site

interestedexpat

Downtown needs a 10-15 level building, or something tall enough that passers-by can catch sight to bring them closer. Not only will they find the building, they will notice how vibrant the area is. If you have 8-10 level structures with Watermarke and Hilton Garden Inn, taller structures are easily in reach.

• 5 months later...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is good the developer wants retail, lodging, and food on the site. Fifty rooms on one level for a vertical hotel works out in Las Vegas, but is considered cramped spaces here. Why not go for 80-100 rooms on 4-5 floors? Hopefully someone will be inspired to take this challenge and be more realistic with Anderson.

I think what is happening here is great and will serve as a catalyst for future growth in Anderson's downtown. I do agree that Anderson could use maybe at least one more 10 story building and that it would not stand out that bad. Anderson is doing the right thing in trying to get the downtown area to grow more.

• 2 weeks later...

Anderson City Council is moving forward with the proposal for the Belk's site. Civic Square clarified a little bit at the meeting. The 50 room hotel would be two floors. And the rooftop bar was either nixed or never actually part of the proposal.

So three floors.

First floor - restaurant, banquet facility, bar

Second and third floor - hotel

75 underground parking spaces

and something about dumping out into a small retail lane behind. (Not sure I understood this part)

There is a rendering with a little more detail on the AIM website. Article here.

I still think they should have gone for 4 or 5 floors, but this is better than I thought initially. And I'm glad they are being cautious. The developer says that hotels aren't "jumping" at the chance to get into downtown Anderson. But he is already pitching the idea and is convinced its viable. I think that's a measured judgment and not just a local guy blowing smoke. I sense that David Agnew of Civic Square in Charleston (who is a native of Anderson) actually has the civic well being at heart and is NOT simply trying to cash in. I don't think he's doing this for the cash.

Looks like a win-win. They are talking about trying to get construction started in 2009 and finished in 2010.

I think you mean the small pedestrian square behind the main building.

It sounds like a good, quality project. Perhaps not as large as we would have liked, but I think the economics of downtown Anderson has to be validated first, then you'll see more stuff moving in.

Archived