New Hotel Proposed for Downtown

bluff2085

from the MBJ.

The parking lot between the Morgan Keegan building and the Sleep Inn could become a 140-room Embassy Suites hotel, with "multiple levels of parking and meeting spaces." But the developer is still looking at various mixed use options so nothing is final. Here's a pic of the site from the MBJ:

embassysuitessite.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I frequent that park whenever I am in Memphis. IMO I think the spot is a pretty good location but other areas could be better. I think areas around the Forum could have had more potential. I was on Google Earth and I noticed one too many surface lots near BB Kings about a block away from the Forum. But the article said the area was open and it focused on visitors of the convention so I guess it could be ideal. What do I know eh?? :P

The article states that the model to be used for this site is 6-8 stories. That would be more in line with 140 rooms than anything higher. As long as it looks nice (inside and out) and adds to the streetscape, then it could be 3 or 4 stories and I'd still be perfectly happy.

The article states that the model to be used for this site is 6-8 stories. That would be more in line with 140 rooms than anything higher. As long as it looks nice (inside and out) and adds to the streetscape, then it could be 3 or 4 stories and I'd still be perfectly happy.

Let's not forget that it's possible they might build the hotel atop a new parking structure. At the most, that alone would have to be about 4-5 stories. Combine that with the 6-8 stories that would make up the hotel, and we may be looking at a potential 10-13 story development.

IIRC, the Peabody Hotel Group had a similar plan to fill the void across from Peabody Place with an Embassy Suites before they cancelled it. It was supposed to be 11-12 stories with about 4 levels of parking.

^

Looking at where the building will be located and that the developer is studying the possibility of mixed use, a building taller than 10 stories is possible. It would not surprise me if embassy suites teams up with an office space. That area of downtown memphis is more prone to office development than the other end, which gets a big boost being right next to morgan keegan. A few of extra floors of class A space, it would seem, might be in demand.

As for a 500 ft tower being built there, I am not sure if downtown could handle it. Enthusiasm for downtown around the city has to be increased before anything huge can be proposed, at least in the office market. I do feel that smaller upscale projects like this or the office space in one beale could encourage more business growth downtown.

^

Looking at where the building will be located and that the developer is studying the possibility of mixed use, a building taller than 10 stories is possible. It would not surprise me if embassy suites teams up with an office space. That area of downtown memphis is more prone to office development than the other end, which gets a big boost being right next to morgan keegan. A few of extra floors of class A space, it would seem, might be in demand.

As for a 500 ft tower being built there, I am not sure if downtown could handle it. Enthusiasm for downtown around the city has to be increased before anything huge can be proposed, at least in the office market. I do feel that smaller upscale projects like this or the office space in one beale could encourage more business growth downtown.

Archived