Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

What was the worst job you ever held

23 posts in this topic

Amost everyone has had a bad or tough job they didn't like. What was yours?

Construction building turkey and chicken houses (the big long ones...) in Union County in the middle of the summer.

chopping up frozen chickens in a small closet, with a DULL block knife, in an indian restaurant in durham, nc. i was a prep cook there for about 4 months... they were some of the longest months. i had to cut up a bag of onions every other day - in that same closet. this was about 9 yrs ago... i haven't been able to shed a tear since.

Packing computers in boxes in a warehouse where they were repaired.....each computer was different so I had to custom-cut the foam blocks to hold the computers...it was both mindnumbingl and tedious.

Or, working for Charlotte-DOT for several month...it was equally mindnumbing.

My worst job was working in a tobacco field in the summer heat. Dirty nasty stuff.

Stacking wood at the end of the rough mill line at an interior finish trim mill I worked at a while ago had to be my worst job. Imagine stacking splinter laden rough lumber of varying widths up to 16 feet long and up to 2" thick by 12" wide onto carts at a very fast pace for hours on end. Added to that, the stock had to be organized by width on a row of up to six metal carts, more in some of the larger runs, which spanned a walking distance of up to 25 feet. It was really meant to be a job for two people. But the company heads where penny pinching hoarders that kept the plant down to a skeletal crew to cut costs. There is nothing like a constant pain in my right shoulder and my right knee to remember that f-en' crap job by. <_<

bus boy in the busiest seafood restaurant in town. while the work wasn't that bad, the owners were complete jerks and cheap too. we once had a meeting where they handed out a list of the costs of dishes, glasses, silverware, pads of butter, napkins, and moist towelettes telling us how much we cost them each time we gave someone too much butter or too many towelettes or accidentally broke a plate or glass or threw out a fork. it was just awful... and they didn't accept credit cards because they were too cheap to pay the service fees. the food was good though... oh, and the owner once made me clean up poop from the parking lot... apparently a customer had took a dump in a styrofoam take out box and left it on the ground and someone drove over it. i had to clean it up.

i've also worked in a warehouse sorting closeout sales... the worst of which was when we got in a HUGE order of closetmaid stuff and had to sore wire shelving and stuff. that was a pain.

and i also drove a delivery truck that had a bad turbo charger (it was a good size truck with no power) and the gas pedal would get stuck... and the bad overhead door fell off once and the hydraulic lift on the back broke... i loved working for this place though, we had a blast.

i've had my share of interesting jobs.

I worked at a driving range one summer, and the owner made me sweep the parking lot in 90 degree heat. Sweep it, with a normal household broom, the entire thing. Still don't know what the hell he was thinking.

server at medieval times... the chicken tray burned me through my clothes. That job lasted about three days, then I stopped showing up.

Back when I was a teenager... burger flipper at Burger King for $5/hr. Boy did that job suck. I was paid $5/hr. to make disgusting Whoppers and be verbally assaulted by an old hag of a manager because she hates white people. No thanks! Might as well pay me $5/hr. to strip naked and have raw meat thrown at me.

Then I worked at a diner across the street from the Burger King, until I got into a fight with a lesbian who thought she was really a man. I absolutely refuse to hit a woman, no matter how big and tough she is or thinks she is, so I just walked off that job.

My first job ever was stocking shelves at a local Winn-Dixie. It's no wonder they went out of business. Whatever manager was on duty would always make us clock out and go wait in the parking lot of a truck was late. I battled that one and ended up getting reimbursed pay for all the times I had to clock out if a shipment wasn't on time. I worked my butt off just to make minimum wage, I'm so glad that a decade later I'm in a better situation. I really feel for anyone who has a job stocking shelves.

A close second is the two weeks I spent working at a Wal-Mart distribution center. I don't think much else comes closer to Hell than one of those. That's when my initial hatred of Wal-Mart started and to this day it has been several years since I've stepped foot in a Wal-Mart. I absolutely refuse to honor their horrible employer tactics.

I've had some humdinger jobs in my life, but I'll focus on the most recent one.

My first nursing job, fresh out of nursing school was perhaps my worst job in recent times. The facility was an involuntary psychiatric hospital. Patients were there because a court ordered it.

I like the psychiatry field, and I wanted to work in that environment. It is very challenging and trying, but it also keeps the adrenalin flowing for the full 8 hours, which can be exhilirating at times.

My problems at the hospital were my peers. Most of them were as dysfunctional as the patients. Instead of working as a team, and standing up for each other, they worked against each other. Someone was always going to a state board to file complaints on a co worker, and people were fired for the most innocuous things. I was put on probation for a simple clerical error (the female nursing supervisor seemed to get a kick out of giving male nurses a hard time.)

All the discord and malevalent vibes made it a nightmare to work there. I loved the patients though. So that helped me tolerate my sicko co workers. But I was quite happy when I found a better job at much better pay:)

My worst job was pretty standard:

Burger King... the owner was a sexist pig waiting for a lawsuit. I'd ask him to hand me a rag to wash the tables and he'd just stand there and start scowling "THIS.. is a towel. A rag is something a woman has." I'm not a woman, and I was still offended. He'd harrass female workers that were like 15...

His wife was very nice and when he retired he decided that she would still work full time... she looks like she was very pretty but has suffered through years of stress and an abusive husband that has drained the youth out of her face.

She'd often sleep in the office at the restaurant so she didn't have to go home... so I volunteered to open on weekends, despite having to get up at 4:30 to get there just because I felt bad for her.. and it was really nice to be the only one there and just doing things on my own without all the ruckus of a bunch of idiots bumbling around having to be patrolled by managers.

Nothing got by them though.. if you couldn't work because you couldn't get there for some reason, they'd come pick you up.. they helped a woman pay her sons doctor bills when he broke his arm... So that was kind of neat. But I will never work fast food again, for all of the obvious reasons.

My absolute worst job had to be the grounds maintenance position at a local city owned golf course during the summer. Had to be at work by 5am, worked til about 3 and in the middle of all the heat. Nothing's more fun than having to weed-eat around a sand trap with the grains of sand stinging any exposed skin. It was sweaty, dirty, back-breaking work. We layed sod and sprigs, installed sprinkler systems, and rebuilt cart bridges. And the Greens Superintendant was an absolute jerk.. If it wasn't for the foreman, who I got along with, I would have left that place in a heartbeat.

Wow. Three of us so far worked at the BK lounge. I didn't know Burger King was such a universal starting point. :)

I remember being disgusted that the "flame-broil" machine only flame-broiled on one side! Then the burgers fall out into a little greasy pile just waiting to but put on a bun, broil line side up of course.

In high school I was a busboy in a fancy retirement community for a year. We had to wear tuxedos every night. What a pain that was. Luckily most of the residents were very sweet and it was like having hundreds of grandparents. Sadly, the place being what it was I experienced more than one instance of some members taking permanent naps in their soup. I am also very klutzy and used to miss the the goblets and pour water all over the tables and over people's heads. Luckily everyone thought it was funny. My nadir came when I was carrying a fully loaded tray through the swinging kitchen doors and completely lost my balance landing hard on my rear end. Of course all the plates and glasses went flying over my shoulders and smashed everywhere. I did not get blamed for it but soon after I decamped for the safer confines and responsibilities of being a library aide.

burger king was by far the worst job I ever had, funny though I kept it longest :unsure::blush:

I worked as a scale operator at an automotive plant. It consisted of weighing in parts all day on a giant scale, receiving in and shipping out parts, and also final quality control checks. The job was constantly more than you could handle each day every shift was about an hour behind when the shift change happened. You also had to deal with all of the drivers who wanted the hilo drivers to drop everything and unload their trucks right away even though there wer about fifteen truck bays and only five or six hilo drivers.

Too high pressure with too little reward for my taste.

When I was younger I worked for the temp agencies fairly often. Grunt work mostly. The worst temp job...job period...I ever had was demolishing a small building on the roof of another building. Hard work but that wasn't a problem. The problem was the location.

This job was on an Air Force base at a Department of Energy(I think it was DoE) Toxicology Research facility. I came to think of it as The Animal Torture Clinic. To get to my work area I had to go through the kennels which held hundreds of beagels. These dogs would bark hoarsely at me as I passed. They would often throw up or spit up blood. There was one area that had a huge tank and was labeled as a 'submersion tank'...which my imagination filtered sinisterly. The dogs were the only animals I actually saw but there was different types of animal food in a warehouse. The sound of the dogs barking was constant. I lasted two days and then told my supervison I couldn't do it. He understood totally and said it can be hard. He even said it was pretty normal and that many temps left after a day or two.

I know...at my most realistic...that the animal testing is done not out of malice but in the attempt to better human health. I know that the poisoning and gasing of the dogs will theoretically save lives in the future. But I just couldn't listen to those poor dogs bark through those jacked up throats any longer. So I left.

The Home Depot. I worked one summer there, mostly in the parking lot gathering carts and helping folks load heavy items. I got a pretty good workout every day, but the management there was horrific.

My worst (and first) job was washing dishes at a seafood restaurant in Portsmouth, VA. I was 15 and earned minimum wage, which had JUST been increased to $5.15/hr at the time. It was a busy restaurant and we only had one washer working at a time. On busy weekend evenings the plates, dishes, trays, pots, pans, silver, would stack up so high they sometimes fell over and broke. BIG trouble for that! I'd rinse each dish with a high-power hose, splattering leftover traces of seafood, tartar sauce, and she crab soup all over myself. Then I'd set the dishes in a giant tray and slide them into the washer. When they came out, they were so hot they scalded my hands and arms. I had to stack them where they belonged in the kitchen. If there were a trace of food left on one dish, the manager sent the whole stack back for me to wash again. I'd come home dripping wet from sweat and hose splatter. I'd come home with my clothing, socks, shoes, and hair smelling of dead, rotting fish.

My worst (and first) job was washing dishes at a seafood restaurant in Portsmouth, VA. I was 15 and earned minimum wage, which had JUST been increased to $5.15/hr at the time. It was a busy restaurant and we only had one washer working at a time. On busy weekend evenings the plates, dishes, trays, pots, pans, silver, would stack up so high they sometimes fell over and broke. BIG trouble for that! I'd rinse each dish with a high-power hose, splattering leftover traces of seafood, tartar sauce, and she crab soup all over myself. Then I'd set the dishes in a giant tray and slide them into the washer. When they came out, they were so hot they scalded my hands and arms. I had to stack them where they belonged in the kitchen. If there were a trace of food left on one dish, the manager sent the whole stack back for me to wash again. I'd come home dripping wet from sweat and hose splatter. I'd come home with my clothing, socks, shoes, and hair smelling of dead, rotting fish.

I worked for a tool rental company for a week. The owners were jerks, the work was miserable and the pay was crappy. I quit after a week and found something better! I should also add my first job, at a lumberyard, and while the job was ok, the boss was an jerk. One of the tasks I had to do was go around and straighten up all the piles of lumber. Sometimes after I did that and moved on to something else, the boss would go out and mess them up all the piles I had just fixed on purpose and make me do it all over again, just to be sure I wouldn't be standing around. <_< Luckily, after several months he quit and a better boss was brought on board. Although, the news boss eventually got busted for embezzeling 50K or soemthing like that. Good times... :lol: