Homewood Developments

dfwtiger

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hallman Hill construction set to begin next summer

It is a $100M mixed-use retail and residential project that will be built in downtown Homewood. It will be built in 2 phases will 194 condos and 12,500 square feet of commercial space for retail. Phase I will be built between 19th Street and U.S. 31 (Montgomery Highway), and will consist of 3 buildings (Clifton, Carlisle, and Shannon) and will have 7,500 sq. ft of retail space. The price range for the condos start at $200,000 and goes up to $750,000.

• 1 month later...

I realized I posted the link, but I never said what I think of it. I have a huge problem with this, but I don't live in the area. I just love that section of Homewood (it's actually one of my favorite parts), and I would hate to see it turned into another Soho. I think he should spend his money and energy on continuing the redevelopment of Green Springs, and redo the Palisades, which, might I add, is like a half mile from this foolishness.

I'm actually surprised how many property owners have agreed to sell. Even if this doesn't happen, I would think this would not be good for their business, as the neighbors now could hold a grudge against the ones that tried to sell. Yeesh.

Something IS going to happen over there, but I come from the school of renovation, not raze and build.

I may be biased based on the fact that the old Moneer's, New York Pizza, and Broadway BBQ are/were some of my favorite spots around. However, I think Edgewood is a healthy and attractive area. There are parts of town that are in much more need of development. The obvious motive here is to pressure their way into a very prime piece of land and maximize the profitabilty off of it.

If the developer were upfront about that, I would be fine. His religious overtones and shady speech raise significant questions. His idea of being called by God to do this development is udderly ridiculous, unless of course he is providing affordable housing for the poor...

• 1 month later...

Renovation and infill in that area would be great, but this proposal is too radical. Homewood is losing too much to the wrecking ball already.

Why doesn't he want to build something like this on surface parking lots in downtown Homewood?

• 2 months later...

Proposed development pushes Edgewood onto state `Peril' list

The attempt by developer, Frank Keasler Jr., has brought the threat of destroying the neighborhood with his massive development that was to construct $100M condominums and retail shops. This had brought much attention wanted statewide attention from the Alabama Historical Commission and Alabama Trust for Historic Preservation. The councilmember representing the neigbhorhood is giving the project the A'OK.

Now many residents of the neighborhood have banded together and formed the group, Homeowners for a Progressive Edgewood to fight this develop toe-and-nail. However, Keasler is continuing on with his proposal for the $100M development and says he will present it to the full Homewood City Council in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...
The councilmember representing the neigbhorhood is giving the project the A'OK.

Now many residents of the neighborhood have banded together and formed the group, Homeowners for a Progressive Edgewood to fight this develop toe-and-nail. However, Keasler is continuing on with his proposal for the $100M development and says he will present it to the full Homewood City Council in the fall.

• 4 weeks later...

There is an article in today's News (click here) talking Rosedale's history and about the troubles that has faced with revitalization efforts. It is a quite interesting article talking about how 2/3rds of the current residents in the neighborhood are renters rather than owners and the neglectful landlords to numerous homes and lots are hindering an organized revitalization that has occured in similar areas in Birmingham like Avondale, Forest Park. It is more of an uphill battle like what is happening to Ensley, Norwood, and Pratt City.

Archived