The Glen Condos

smeagolsfree

Just reading over the Metro Council agenda and ran across a smaller development @ 18th & Wedgewood. This would have to be a mid rise project as the 38 units would sit on a half acre.

BILL NO. BL2007-1341 (Wallace)

Approved by Planning Commission (10-0)

Map & Parcel No./Owner:

104-8-263 Nashville Property Managers LLP

Requested by: Barge, Waggoner, Sumner & Cannon

An ordinance to amend Title 17 of the Metropolitan Code of Laws, the Zoning Ordinance of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, by changing from RM40 to SP zoning on property located at 1700 18th Avenue South, northeast corner of 18th Avenue South and Wedgewood Avenue (.54 acres), to permit 38 multi-family condominium units and a parking garage, all of which is described herein (Proposal No. 2007SP-015U-10).

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can find a little bit more about this project by looking at the following from The Intown Report. The description is brief, but interesting. Brain, you might recall the current building at 18th and Wedgewood. It's a small, white, 60s-era 2-3 story building with wrap around sidewalks. Fairly standard fare for its time. The new project sounds very attractive and will address the street and community better. It's between Belmont U. and Hillsboro Village just before Wedgewood begins its descent to 21st. Going that way, it's on the right. The Cambridge in the first photo is across the street from the former married student housing on the old Peabody campus. The former of course is gone and being replaced by mulitple mid-rise, very nice dormitories. The Cambridge is in the same block as the BMG Music Corp, a former Home for the Aged. This will be a good project I believe.

http://www.intownnashville.com/intownreport/

• 2 weeks later...

As a very nearby resident of this project, I and the other neighbors are generally enthusiastic. The Glen Manor is a true eyesore--it would be hard not to improve on it. The developers of this project have been very open to suggestions and comments from those of us living nearby, including those of us living in the stretch of single family housing on 18th. This will be an improvement in the neighborhood.

• 3 months later...

The neighborhood sections of The Tennessean often include areas close to the draw area. There are several of these editions, and there is a West End/Vandy edition with also featured The Glen. These pieces are not just news, but marketing pieces and I'm sure that explains the Green Hills feature.

I drove by the site a few days ago and like the fact that the building will blend with the neighborhood much more than what has been there for decades. There are several Tudor influences on the adjoining and nearby parcels such as the beautiful structures on Capers and up and down 18th. Preserving the personality of Hillsboro Village is important and I believe The Glen goes a long way to providing an interesting and effective street presence in the place of what was the early 60s asphalt invaded truck stop motel look that has existed on that corner for much too long.

Modern influences show up often in the Village, i.e. Dierks Bentley's cool contemporary house adjoining Magnolia Blvd. The Village is going a great job so far and connects well with the new (and magnificent) Inman Hall at Belmont down to Edgehill Village which is rapidly becoming the coolest development to come down the pike in many, many years.

Brain, I wouldn't worry too much about the Village. It's doing great things. The new street enhancements look great as well. I wish I could afford to move back. I lived there for 17 years, but the wallet was a bit thin when it came to buy.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived