Possible Quicken Loans Building

detwaa84

My first cousin works at Quicken Loans and she said many are against the idea of the move, including her. I told her that I dont' think this will stop the move if Gilbert really want to come here. Every boss would say he'll take the opinions of his workers, but if this makes good economic sense, then these "opinions" will not stop him. I have a strong feeling that this company will be coming here, but I think it will be dragged on much farther than 2009. They are not on a hurry for anything. Let'em take their time, and let us further redevelop before they come.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan Gilbert is not the boss though, and supposedly that is where the resistance is coming from...the boss. Bill Emerson is CEO of Quicken. Other than commuting, I don't understand why so many employees are against the downtown move. Say these people got a job in another major metro and their offices were in that city's downtown. How resistant would they be? Probably very little. If they didn't live in that major city, they would probably live somewhere in a sphere of influence that kept their commute reasonable. Point being, corporate responsibility is a HUGE factor in curbing wasteful sprawl. By moving the company downtown, ZERO of your employees have to live in the city, but I bet a good chunk of them would consider living in a nice neighborhood in an inner ring or middle-ring suburb. They can commute from norther Macomb/Oakland or southern Lapeer/Genesee too, but then they would be accountable for making that quality of life choice, saying they value their home location more than a 3 hour-a-day commute.

Corporate decisions such as these have very important implications on regional issues. The role of suburbs is to provide low density housing for those that left the city after WWII. It was by default that the people moving there understood that their commute to the worksite would be into the city and back out at the end of the day. But the downfall came when the jobs followed. The suburban behavior was and still is to "not live near where you work". So if the concentration of jobs is in the suburbs, guess where the people are going to live? Right: Washington/Independence/Holly/Milford/Canton Townships.

This is fine and dandy up to a point. The line should be drawn when the other demographic of your workforce is considered. Those who WANT to live and work in a big, vibrant, talented, diverse city. By refocusing on putting jobs back in the center city you can have both.

Again, I think we as the public began to assume that Quicken and the City were doing much more behind the scenes than they actually were. I don't really see this as a loss, because it was nothing ever more than a rumor fed by a lot of heresay and needless media speculation. This isn't a loss or a gain. Quickens came downtown to windowshop, that's all. It's quite a leap to assume just because you see someone looking in the window that that must mean they are going to buy something, if you want to follow the analogy.

Yah, that's the mentality that I took at first too. I still do, but when I started seeing Crain's in the mix, I took it a little more seriously. While it isn't necessarily a loss, the dialogue is extremely important to keep a strong grip on because downtown corporate moves is what we need here.

Believe me; if anyone can get Quicken downtown it will be Kilpatrick. I'm sure he put in a very good word for the city, now, the ball is in Quickens court. Quicken still has some years in their current HQ, they don't have to rush. But, when the time comes for them to make a decision, I'm sure they'll remember Detroit's hospitality in wanting to host their company. Contrary to popular belief, Kilpatrick's got a pretty strong and extensive suburban network in the business community.

Yah, I believe that. It's not something that people out there want to believe though. They will tell you everthing negative about him and when it comes to telling you the good, silence falls.

One thing that concerns me is that even though Karmanos will always be around, he's retiring soon.

Yeah, hopefully, someone will fill that gap. The way things are going (strong as ever), philanthropically, I don't have much doubt someone will fill his place. I actually think Roger Penske is taking on that role, though.

Some had the same kind of feelings on the public sector side of things when Ed McNamara, Democratic political wizard of Southeast Michigan, died a little over a year ago, but those he mentored (including but not limited to Granholm, Kilpatrick, and Fianco) have stepped up and have filled the gap pretty well.

From what I remember, and I read it in the Det freep, not Dan nor spoksperson for the company ever said that. The "reporter" only mentioned it as a possibility. Of course someone in the company had to suggest it to him, but it was not stated that way. I think if they will move here, they will come all at once. Compuware should have been a test for them. If Dan wants to come here (and I think he does), he will do it. They have plenty of time, no need to rush.

^Remember, Dan's not the only deciding power. The CEO also has to agree, and methinks that might be what's holding things up.

I doubt that Michi. Dan is the only one. The CEO's opposition could simply be an opinion. Dan does not have to consider it and he's the one that will have the final say, even if "normally" the CEO has to agree. That's like saying the CEO of Ford and Ford himself have the same power over the company. I do not believe that at all. :)

It depends on how Quick/Rock is set up. Are the CEO/Chairman and president positions for this corporation seperate or combined? I know Dan is the Chairman, so he would ultimately have the final say. That said, his plans could easily be railroaded if the board threatened to jump ship.

speaking of Ford....... when they're financially healthy and a smaller company, do you think they would ever consider a Downtown move? I've always wondered what you guys thought about that.
Ford has always been in Dearborn, and I don't see that changing, although stranger things have happened....

Very interesting proposal. I would actually place vertical mullions on the front of the building on GCP to accentuate the building's height. Horizontal bands can really make a tall building look more short and squat than it really is. Also, perhaps a crown of some sort would help, to, or some kind of roof decoration.

Either way, that is a great massing. What program did you use?

Opps, sorry I didn't reply sooner.

The building was made in 3ds max 8.

That could have been done. Originally I was going to have some arches at the top. It would have been like a mix between the sides and the front. But I couldn't figure out how to model it with the bend, and I figured it wouldn't look very good trying to mix the pieces. The front is supposed to be kinda modernismey. I think it worked out ok though, it makes the building more stocky to fit with the other buildings, but the strong lines on the edges, and the sweeping motion (from the pie shape of the block, and the shape of the rest of the building behind it) still make it tall.

And that's why I was asking about the square footage, lol, thanks for helping me out. :)

• 1 month later...

gilbert is making a lot of remarks insinuating a move downtown... he's kinda talking himself into making the move. It would look pretty bad if he doesn't.

He'll move. If he's making these kinds of remarks like you're saying, and the decision is only 1 to 3 months away, then he should already have his mind made up. If Detroit wasn't chosen, he wouldn't be going on the news with what he said. It just wouldn't make sense. This article is basically an unofficial annoucement that they're moving to downtown, but saying the official one is coming in a few months. Just my opinion!

He'll move. If he's making these kinds of remarks like you're saying, and the decision is only 1 to 3 months away, then he should already have his mind made up. If Detroit wasn't chosen, he wouldn't be going on the news with what he said. It just wouldn't make sense. This article is basically an unofficial annoucement that they're moving to downtown, but saying the official one is coming in a few months. Just my opinion!

Good news!

Archived