Possible Quicken Loans Building

detwaa84

::vomits::

The News needs to make new maps...

Anyway, yeah, this is great news. I've often thought about how the Library & Broadway lots could be developed, and of course the Lafayette Building definitely needs to be renovated.

But having three lots right next to each other makes me think that they'd choose the Hudson's site for the HQ, although that tech building would work really well there too.

All of it would be great actually. :)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think that Statler makes the most sense for his HQ. There are no limits on what can be built, wouldnt be in Compuware's shadow and its a much more prominent location with the ability to revitalize Grand Circus. I think Hudsons and the Broadway lots would be great for his other ventures as well as the residential he spoke about for his potential employees. Those lots are within easy access to two people mover stations, and the YMCA is right there. I think the Broadway lots would be the perfect location for some residential structures. Plus I think the Broadway/Harmonie Park area is one of the most appealing downtown.

I'm calling Gilbert's bluff when it comes to the Lafayette Building. As much as I really want to see that done, as I think that development is vital to the success of the BC as a hotel, and the surrounding area...I think it is way too large for anything to happen to it right now. There is just no market for office or residential usage at this point. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but that seems really ambitious.

Its tough to say really. He has one year to commit to it if I read the paper right. In that time who knows what type of companies and commitments from other people willing to come downtown he will get. In a year from now there might be demand, and even if there isnt he still may see the value in that property and want to hold onto it.

I don't think he is looking to renovate the Lafayette Building himself, but rather use his influence and the momentum brought on by this relocation, to get other developers interested in renovating the structure. For example, he might try to entice some other company to renovate the structure into retail/apartments/condos. Even if 3% of his workforce moves downtown, that's 120 people who may be looking for a new condo. I don't know how many units a Lafayette renovation would produce, but it might make more economic sense to do the renovation if Gilbert heavily markets a renovated Lafayette Building to his 4,000 employees.

Did anyone catch from this from the quote above:

"Quicken also gets a one-year option to develop office and retail space on two other city-owned sites: the former Lafayette Building at Michigan Avenue and Lafayette Boulevard, and two parking lots on Broadway and Library streets, according to the development agreement."

Now, it could be a simple misunderstanding, but this sounds like the option to tear down the Lafayette is there, not for its redevelopment.

No need to worry, hopefully!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/newsletter02

::::::::::One is the former Lafayette Building at Michigan Avenue and West Lafayette Boulevard; the other contains contiguous parking lots in a Z shape on Broadway and Library streets. Gilbert said the Lafayette Building might house condo conversions, and the other site could be a parking deck.::::::::::::::

What kind of sucks about the Griswold is that it will probably be much harder to go in and tear it down at some point in the future when downtown parking isn't in as much demand.

I doubt that they'd tear it down for that reason, since the hotel and residances depend on it. But what if it gets too old? Aren't garages not meant to last past 40 years? will residents just be displaced?

when i visited boston this summer with my girlfriend, her friend was in the process of moving from a small apartment on Commonwealth avenue into a new condo in a former parking garage... so the conversion back is not impossible. While the condo was not ideal, the space still seemed to work. At the rate michigan is going with obesity, the garage may be ahead of its time in terms of design loads.

Nothing is difficult to tear down. Just because Griswold will also house higher end condos, does necessarily mean that will be the case in the future.

If Gilbert decides to renovate the Lafayette, it's parking garage may come with other uses - - - maybe even condos on top, who knows.

Anyone here think they might announce the details before the year period is up? That they migh want to get this thing off the ground as soon as possible?

Thabks, Happy Thanksgiving :rolleyes:

In one of the articles I read a week back or so, one of the PR people for Quicken said they wouldn't nearly need a year to decide what site would be built up.

• 2 months later...

Haven't heard anything. Buildings surrounding the Statler site have been undergoing heavy maintenance, however. Especially the Whitney Building which is getting its brick replaced. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me what is going on inside the building on the Woodward side? Looks almost like they are removing the modern low ceilings. taking it back up to the original height.

Archived