Architecture Publication Featuring NW Arkansas

While living in Dallas I was impressed with a publication called something like "An Architectural Guide to Dallas" that included a cross-section of commercial and residential properties in Dallas and Fort Worth. Each property was featured with 2-3 clear, black & white photos and a brief history or anecdotal summary. The book size was approx 5" wide x 8" tall, easy to handle and stow in your backpack as you visited the various sites.

With the variety of architectural styles and history in Northwest Arkansas, would a publication like this be successful?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While living in Dallas I was impressed with a publication called something like "An Architectural Guide to Dallas" that included a cross-section of commercial and residential properties in Dallas and Fort Worth. Each property was featured with 2-3 clear, black & white photos and a brief history or anecdotal summary. The book size was approx 5" wide x 8" tall, easy to handle and stow in your backpack as you visited the various sites.

With the variety of architectural styles and history in Northwest Arkansas, would a publication like this be successful?

I'd just be happy with one of those illustrated posters showing all the best features all over NWA. You know the one with King Kong climbing the Radisson in Fayetteville and Godzilla about to step on the Wal-Mart Home Office. :silly: But, the book you're describing sounds like it would be a bigger seller if it was about the historic buildings in Eureka Springs. There just aren't any buildings in NWA comparable to a city like Dallas. And a book with a just a cross-section of the Renaissance in Fayetteville just wouldn't sell many copies.

• 1 month later...
Thia, I know you mentioned a new book on Fayetteville will be coming out at some point in the future. Do you know of any current sources? I'm really wanting to learn more about Fayetteville's pre-50's architecture. I occasionally find a little info on the internet but the bad thing is they rarely ever have any pics so I'm not always positive which building they're referring to. Now that I have a better lens and camera equipment I'm thinking of trying to go around and photograph a lot of Fayetteville's older buildings.

I actually went to the UA Press last week to see if they had any local books on Fayetteville's history and the person I talked said they don't have any. She did offer that there are several books on the UA's history.

I've been told that the the Washington County Historical Society located at the Headquarters House, 118 Dickson, has some books. And "100 Years of Fayetteville 1828 to 1928" by W S Campbell is supposed to be THE source. But I don't know if any of the publications focus on buildings or architecture.

http://www.washcohistoricalsociety.org/hispro/hqh.php

https://secure.gcmcomputers.com/washcohisto...ociety/catalog/

I purchased a camera last year to tackle the same type of project. I'd like to document the old homes in the area before they are significantly changed or replaced. Somehow I just haven't made it out my front door to take the first shot and I have already missed the opportunity to photograph several old homes have been altered in the past year. I have another friend that is also interested in photographing the old buildings in Fayetteville.

The most I've learned about Fayetteville's architecture has been soaking up the stories told by local preservationists and architects. Unfortunately I've got a lousey memory and I couldn't retell any of the stories I've heard.

I'll follow up with a couple of people on this issue and I'll share if I find anything interesting. In the mean time try the Chamber of Commerce for a brochure that identifies 12-20 of the historic buildings in the heart of Fayetteville. I think it includes a map and photos.

I'm still waiting for a reply from the author of the Fayetteville history book that is in the works. In the mean time here's a resource to at least give you the names of some of the historic buildings in Fayetteville. This is an appendix to the Fayetteville City Plan 2025. This info is probably similar to what the Chamber of Commerce brochure covers.

http://www.accessfayetteville.org/pdfs/dow...2&revision=

I'm still waiting for a reply from the author of the Fayetteville history book that is in the works. In the mean time here's a resource to at least give you the names of some of the historic buildings in Fayetteville. This is an appendix to the Fayetteville City Plan 2025. This info is probably similar to what the Chamber of Commerce brochure covers.

http://www.accessfayetteville.org/pdfs/dow...2&revision=

Archived