Great Moments in Greenville History

goodbye

I thought it would be nice to open a thread dedicated to the most memorable moments in Greenville history. These events can be as far back in time as the beginning of our town, originally named "Pleasantburg," or as recent as this past week. If you think it should be placed among the great moments, please share it here. We can use whatever media available - audio, video, photo, etc...

I'll start off with one of the most awesome moments in my life here in Greenville. This event happened last year and was a tremendously successful one, with a climax to match any I've experienced in Greenville yet. The US Pro Cycling Championship Road Race scaled well beyond the downtown area, but was ultimately decided by the winner crossing the finish line at the Main Street and Broad Street intersection. Any cyclist would have received adequate applause and congratulations, but this was the year Greenville's own hometown cycling hero would forever capture the hearts of the city by an impressive win over his skillful foes.

To listen to an audio clip from the climax of the race, click here. :shades:

If anyone would like to share a photo or two, please do so. :thumbsup:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... Great moments in Greenville History...

Well, the moving to Greenville and establishment of Furman College, the Baptist Women's College and the Southeastern Baptist Seminary (later moved to Louisville, Kentucky) really put Greenville on the map in the mid 1800's. Before, the little village was just a wayfarer place between the mountain resorts and the Low country.

Perhaps the visit of Grover Cleveland in 1887 - first sitting President to visit Greenville?

The founding of Camp Sevier for World War I training? The establishment of Donaldson Air Base?

Arrival of Bob Jones University in the late 40's?

Only two military skirmishes in Greenville County history: a Revolutionary skirmish at Great Cane Break, but that lasted about 20 minutes and a Federal Calvary detachment that came through in 1865 on the rumor that Jeff Davis was in town, but that ended up in a broken window or two.

Vardry McBee laying out downtown and selling land to develop the village?

Richard Nixon's parade in 1968, the beginning of the area's turn toward GOP politics?

Jackie Robinson's march on the Greenville (Downtown) Airport to protest Civil Rights?

Founding of Greenville Technical College?

Frank Selvy's 100 point basketball game at Old Textile Hall, still a NCAA record?

Opening of the Hyatt Hotel in 1981, the start of downtown revitalization?

I'm sure there are plenty more...

I guess I would have to say, that to me, the biggest single event in Greenville's

History would be the completion of I-85 in 1964.Can you Imagen what Greenville

would be like without it?

BTW I think one of the worst days was Sep. 29 1997.The day they imploded the

Memorial Auditorium, to make room for a green wall! I loved this old building.

As a teen I worked as a stage hand, and set up and tore down all the shows that

came to town.The best part was I got to see the shows for free,and got paid to

to do it. I worked the Lynyrd Skynyrd show the night before there plane crash,

and remember the once a year Battle Of The Bands where the bands competed

for equipment and dimo.records.

These were good times,good times indeed.

GMA_Marquee_-_Ole_vs_Stevens.jpg

If we're talking memories, and not just stuff read from a history book, I've got those...

I remember driving to Greenville from Laurens to shop at Christmas. Our first stop would always be Sears (then located in the current Canal Insurance Building, next to Handlebar.) Then we would head to Main Street for Penny's and Belks. Both the Belks and the old Dollar Store had weird layouts, with hidden nooks and crannies.

I remember with the Tricentenial Center on Roper Mountain attempted to open in 1970 (current location of the Science Center.) There was nothing on Woodruff Road, and I remember wondering why they put it so far out in the country. The idea of a geodesic cube was pretty cool, but they just couldn't pull it off.

I remember when Haywood Road ended at Pelham. To get on into the East Side, you needed to turn onto Pelham, then back onto curvy Butler Springs Road. Then you could either take East North, or cross on over on Richbourg.

I remember Haywood Road before the mall and anything else was there. I don't remember much about it, because there was never any real reason to go that way.

I remember with the Tricentenial Center on Roper Mountain attempted to open in 1970 (current location of the Science Center.) There was nothing on Woodruff Road, and I remember wondering why they put it so far out in the country. The idea of a geodesic cube was pretty cool, but they just couldn't pull it off.

I can remember retail from the 80's, seeing how I was born in 83 though...Um, Alexanders used to be where Greenville Office Supply was, and was recently torn down. It was Alexanders, then Brendles. Service Merchandise used to be where BiLo is on S Pleasantburg @ Farris. Oh, and here is a real shocker. If my memory serves me correctly, I can remember going into WalMart...where BiLo at North Hills is now. Again, this was in the early 80's, and I've done my best in trying to confirm these things.

Hechinger used to be where Books-A-Million is now.

There was a WalMart type store, I think the name was Nichols or something over where BiLo is on N Pleasantburg @ Rutherford. There also used to be a huge white water tower in front also. I can't remember when they brought that down though.

There used to also be Roses somewhere in Greenville, and I had thought that they completely went under, but oddly enough, I saw a semi truck with the logo going down 85 in Anderson several months ago.

If anyone can confirm these, hopefully StevenRocks, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have several Haywood Mall celebrity encounters,

Saw Ronald Reagan speaking in the center of the mall when he was running for president in 1980. The Mall had just recently opened for the first time. The place was so packed I could see him but watched him talk on one of the big screen projection TV's at a store called video concepts.

When working at Rich's (Now Macy's) Radio talk show host Mike Gallagar tried to return a pink izod shirt. I gave him a hard time because he didn't have a receipt.

Was standing in line a Chik-Fil-A and Marie Osmond was standing in the line next to me. She was in town to appear on a telethon.

The Alexander's/Brendle's/Greenville Office Supply was on Pleasantburg right before you get to East North. It was right across from the Wendy's that's been in the news lately because of the recent murder. AAA Carolinas is building a new Greenville office there.

Jarvis is correct that a larger retail used to occupy the current BiLo location just around the corner on East North. Originally, Bilo occupied the space where the Fresh Market is (for the time being), and Walmart was in the current BiLo location. Walmart moved out to Laurens Road, and BiLo moved into the larger space.

... Jarvis is correct that a larger retail used to occupy the current BiLo location just around the corner on East North. Originally, Bilo occupied the space where the Fresh Market is (for the time being), and Walmart was in the current BiLo location. Walmart moved out to Laurens Road, and BiLo moved into the larger space.

Alexander's officially changed there name to Brendle's when they moved into there new building on

Congaree Rd. The company did not last but a couple of years after the move.The building remained

empty until it was torn down to build Bradshaw's new dealership.

BTW. This thread makes me feel pretty old,I turn 50 tomorrow!

Alexander's officially changed there name to Brendle's when they moved into there new building on

Congaree Rd. The company did not last but a couple of years after the move.The building remained

empty until it was torn down to build Bradshaw's new dealership.

BTW. This thread makes me feel pretty old,I turn 50 tomorrow!

Jarvis is correct that a larger retail used to occupy the current BiLo location just around the corner on East North. Originally, Bilo occupied the space where the Fresh Market is (for the time being), and Walmart was in the current BiLo location. Walmart moved out to Laurens Road, and BiLo moved into the larger space.

Anyone remember the concept Kroger grocery store that was where Burlington Coats is now? I forget its name, and I was in the 80's, but I would think most of today's trends in groceries that we take for granted were tried out there, some tried and forgotten.

I remember the mix your own soft drink station or the indoor hot dog cart among other things. I think it was only open a few years, but that store for the 80's seemed way ahead of its time.

Anyone remember the concept Kroger grocery store that was where Burlington Coats is now? I forget its name, and I was in the 80's, but I would think most of today's trends in groceries that we take for granted were tried out there, some tried and forgotten.

I remember the mix your own soft drink station or the indoor hot dog cart among other things. I think it was only open a few years, but that store for the 80's seemed way ahead of its time.

Archived