Sea's of Concrete

Bears

Since all the car dealerships are moving into the Nonconnah area, how do you think its best to redevelop them? Their basically huge tracts of empty land much like the Mall of Memphis used to be. The area that comes directly to my mind is the Covington Pike area (between the two bridges). Anybody think that area has potental to become another urban community like whats being planned for Binghampton? The Getwell/American Way/Mt. Moriah area could follow the same route with a technical school specializing in biofuel/automative technology at the Mall of Memphis site. The Getwell exit has become a severe eyesore for the city so I hope they get an office park to go where the old Jaguar dealership was.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what to say about the former Bluff City Autoplex site on Getwell, but I think for some time, Wal-Mart has been in search for a site for a new Supercenter to replace their existing American Way location. While the autoplex site may not be the best site for a new Wal-Mart, what they could do is relocate Sam's Club to that site, and possibly build a new Supercenter on the Sam's Club site (since there's ample room on left side behind Infiniti of Memphis). If that doesn't work, a nice small-scale shopping center would probably be good for the Getwell site to accomodate the people living in that area.

As for the Mall of Memphis site, I would probably say that it has potential for either a new office/business park or maybe a huge hotel/convention complex (similar in size to Gaylord Opryland) or as a new site for a football stadium for the U of M.

• 1 month later...

Chalk up another auto dealer moving to the Wolfchase area. Infiniti of Memphis appears to be headed that way, leaving Getwell/I-240 to become an even worse eyesore. http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/bartle...5462483,00.html

The same can be said for the once-thriving American Way/Mt. Moriah area. Back in the 1980s, it was the mecca of car dealerships, but most of the new-car dealers are now gone and it's a sea of used-car lots or empty ones. I think Acura of Memphis will be moving soon, and the Honda dealership on Mendenhall will probably go before long.

Chalk up another auto dealer moving to the Wolfchase area. Infiniti of Memphis appears to be headed that way, leaving Getwell/I-240 to become an even worse eyesore. http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/bartle...5462483,00.html

The same can be said for the once-thriving American Way/Mt. Moriah area. Back in the 1980s, it was the mecca of car dealerships, but most of the new-car dealers are now gone and it's a sea of used-car lots or empty ones. I think Acura of Memphis will be moving soon, and the Honda dealership on Mendenhall will probably go before long.

Archived