Is North University being "renovated"?

nolt

I seem to remember a statement by someone a year or so ago that there were plans to 'beautify' or 'remodel' North University.

Burying or setting back the power lines, modifying or removing the center divider, and replacing the street lights were among several things mentioned.

There is intermittent construction on the street but nothing that is evident of a project that large.

I am aware of the numerous projects in shopping centers and retail to revitalize the retail capacity of the area but I was wondering if the city itself had an active project to spruce up the street....

Does anyone here know of anything pertaining to this or know where one might find out?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I seem to remember a statement by someone a year or so ago that there were plans to 'beautify' or 'remodel' North University.

Burying or setting back the power lines, modifying or removing the center divider, and replacing the street lights were among several things mentioned.

There is intermittent construction on the street but nothing that is evident of a project that large.

I am aware of the numerous projects in shopping centers and retail to revitalize the retail capacity of the area but I was wondering if the city itself had an active project to spruce up the street....

Does anyone here know of anything pertaining to this or know where one might find out?

I don't think that the City has an active project for N University other than what recommendations come from the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board. The Urban Land Institute made the original recommendations to bury the utilities along University and Markham. I believe it became a design criteria for the overlay district that now exists of the area. The utility lines were buried in the Midtowne redevelopment.

Most of what you are seeing is a Arkansas Hwy Dept project to widen University to 6 lanes. You know how important it is that people be able to save a couple of minutes on their commute.

South University is suppose to get a face-lift between 17th street and Asher/Col Glenn. The City is supportive of the effort to make South University a visual marker of the University District. This is being led by UALR. There is a lot of stuff of UALR.edu website under the Chancellor's area.

I don't think that the City has an active project for N University other than what recommendations come from the Midtown Redevelopment Advisory Board. The Urban Land Institute made the original recommendations to bury the utilities along University and Markham. I believe it became a design criteria for the overlay district that now exists of the area. The utility lines were buried in the Midtowne redevelopment.

Most of what you are seeing is a Arkansas Hwy Dept project to widen University to 6 lanes. You know how important it is that people be able to save a couple of minutes on their commute.

South University is suppose to get a face-lift between 17th street and Asher/Col Glenn. The City is supportive of the effort to make South University a visual marker of the University District. This is being led by UALR. There is a lot of stuff of UALR.edu website under the Chancellor's area.

It has an AHTD "job number" only because it has federal funds involved. It is *NOT* an "AHTD job" per se. It is *NOT* on the highway system. Go to www.arkansashighways.com and check out the maps if you don't believe me. It IS a *CITY* street.

Blame me? That's why I try to remain anonymous. Just trying to be helpful.

Archived