Hyatt Hotel proposal

pipdo

Here are a few items that were brought up in today's city council briefings:

Garfield-Traub Proposal:

• The plans include extending the convention center itself by two more halls to the western end with a directly connected ~300-400 room Hyatt Regency.

• There are plans for 2 restaurants, a ballroom and a jr. ballroom, a spa and pool on the top floor, as well as a possible skybar.

• Between the two ballroom is an outdoor commons type thing

• Meeting rooms overlook the ballrooms and the atrium, which is planned to reflect the architecture of the Convention Center - the architect is the same.

• Garfield-Traub seemed to be fighting for a public/private ownership, however the council seemed to express concerns about the money they would have to put into it, as the development team said that the city may only be able to get a 60-65% loan on the total cost of the hotel.

• The tower design appeared to be basically a box from where I was sitting, but as the architect explained it, they have developed a way of positioning the windows in a zig-zag fashion so that every room would have a view of the beach. He said that the design was still underway.

• Approx. 200ft tall. - dev. claims that they have looked up height restrictions and the hotel is way under limit.

• Construction costs for 3-4 star hotel run $200,000 - $300,000 per room.

• Virginia Beach has some 11,000 hotel rooms with an occupancy rate of 62% (an average for all hotels, low end and high end), but Hyatt is looking for an occupancy rate in the 70-80% range for this hotel

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few items that were brought up in today's city council briefings:

Garfield-Traub Proposal:

• The plans include extending the convention center itself by two more halls to the western end with a directly connected ~300-400 room Hyatt Regency.

• There are plans for 2 restaurants, a ballroom and a jr. ballroom, a spa and pool on the top floor, as well as a possible skybar.

• Between the two ballroom is an outdoor commons type thing

• Meeting rooms overlook the ballrooms and the atrium, which is planned to reflect the architecture of the Convention Center - the architect is the same.

• Garfield-Traub seemed to be fighting for a public/private ownership, however the council seemed to express concerns about the money they would have to put into it, as the development team said that the city may only be able to get a 60-65% loan on the total cost of the hotel.

• The tower design appeared to be basically a box from where I was sitting, but as the architect explained it, they have developed a way of positioning the windows in a zig-zag fashion so that every room would have a view of the beach. He said that the design was still underway.

• Approx. 200ft tall. - dev. claims that they have looked up height restrictions and the hotel is way under limit.

Hundreds of feet?!?! Are you kidding me? And the Navy said as recently as two weeks ago that they had no problem as long as the buildings applied with FAA regulations. Something just doesn't add up here. It seems like we've been shooting ourselves in the foot for quite some time now. <_<

The proposed building would stand 150 feet tall - nearly the same height as the convention center - but current city zoning only allows 75-foot hotels at the Dome site. "Obviously, a 75-foot envelope wouldn't work," Haddad said.

City officials are considering changing the height restrictions to allow taller hotels on certain sites.

John Lauterbach, a legal adviser at Oceana Naval Air Station, said the Navy doesn't have any objections as long as the city doesn't increase the allowed density on these sites and abides by the Federal Aviation Administration's height and obstruction limitations along flight paths to air stations.

Hundreds of feet?!?! Are you kidding me? And the Navy said as recently as two weeks ago that they had no problem as long as the buildings applied with FAA regulations. Something just doesn't add up here. It seems like we've been shooting ourselves in the foot for quite some time now. <_<

The Doubletree project was proposed a long time ago, and conditions and objections change over time. The Navy and City policies are not set in stone. Variances may be granted, and the Navy level of objection to development has not been consistent, but has followed from different personalities in charge of operations, evolving flight missions and changing technologies.

As negative as the Pilot was towards AH's proposal, this article is bare boned if anything. Thankfully the public has no say in this project, only the council. I read pipbo's post to get the details, since he was actually at the presentation. Additionally, they seemed unprepared to answer all the questions necessary in pitching a proposal like this, how much could it earn, and not having financing lined up? AH is now a shoo-in, and we're about to be stuck with the DoubleTree and an useless monorail :sick:

As negative as the Pilot was towards AH's proposal, this article is bare boned if anything. Thankfully the public has no say in this project, only the council. I read pipbo's post to get the details, since he was actually at the presentation. Additionally, they seemed unprepared to answer all the questions necessary in pitching a proposal like this, how much could it earn, and not having financing lined up? AH is now a shoo-in, and we're about to be stuck with the DoubleTree and an useless monorail :sick:

One highlight 2hr and 20min in during the Navy MoU briefing, "the Navy is in talking to the city about raising the height limits on certain sections of the Oceanfront" the city manager then chimed in to say that they are looking at going by FAA regulations which are "hundreds of feet higher" than current zoning regulations :yahoo: . I'm surprised that Louis Jones didn't chime in against having "big skyscraper things at the beach". :rofl: This would be essential if any part of the sunrise proposal were to gain traction. The fact that the city is pushing the height issue so much means to me that they're at least thinking about it.

That is great news!

As for the Hyatt, I will wait to cast any judgement until I see a rendering, though I would lower my design standards if it meant actually getting a Hyatt in VB... Definately though, the hotel must be built right next door to the convention center...

That is great news!

As for the Hyatt, I will wait to cast any judgement until I see a rendering, though I would lower my design standards if it meant actually getting a Hyatt in VB... Definately though, the hotel must be built right next door to the convention center...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you have a convention center, you need a hotel

The city needs a headquarters hotel next to its convention center for the meeting space to succeed, a private consultant told the City Council on Tuesday night. Otherwise, Virginia Beach "wasted" the

$207 million it spent on building the convention center, said Don Hunter, president of Hunter Interests Inc.

"If governments want to be in the convention business... they've got to build a hotel," Hunter said.

Hunter also advised the council to use the former Dome site on 19th Street and Pacific Avenue as an entertainment complex; save the Rudee Loop property for an upscale hotel and condominium development; and hold off on any projects on a 12-acre area off Birdneck Road.

• 8 months later...

Proposal for Virginia Beach Anchor Hotel Taps into City's Vision

1206rqhotel275x375.jpg

The city is poised to accept a development plan that calls for up to 700 hotel rooms, two towers and one headquarters hotel, all rising from the parking lot across the street from the Virginia Beach Convention Center.

The $112 million vision by a Dallas firm, if accepted, would kick off at least a two-month period during which other developers could submit plans for a hotel that would serve as the anchor inn for conventioneers.

The project likely would need public funding, but no one is saying yet how much.

The concept is moving ahead as the city also gauges the private sector

Is the site to the east of the Veterans Memorial? Isn't the land (now parking lots) to the west of the current convention center supposed to be Phase 2 and the land across 19th St (surrounding the memorial) supposed to be Phase 3? Or have the future expansion plans been scaled back to just the west side of the memorial? I guess scaling back the plans makes sense since you can't expand if you don't have a convention HQ hotel.

Archived