Griswold condo development

ZachariahDaMan

Tracer, 'too small' in the context of all of the residents, visitors, and businesses that this garage is supposed to be handling.

Detwaa, they can, but then that raises engineering cost, as a more sophisticated ventilation system needs to be designed for these closed-in garages.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I understand what you mean and I would agree that, as far its intentions go, you're right, that I think too many things are relying on one garage.

What I mean, however, is that maybe this is a good thing (vis-a-vis Mass Transit!). If downtown parking is too cheap and easy (which it already is pretty cheap and easy) fewer people are going to use Mass Transit to get downtown (assuming it ever gets built). Part of what makes transit attractive to commuters and visitors in the hassle and cost involved with finding parking downtown. Now I understand that we are the automotive capitol of the world, but in building so many Garages at over capacity (especially in terms of those built by the city) are we not in a way, subsidizing sprawl and highway congestion by encouraging people to stay in their cars and saying "it's ok to live as far away as you like, we'll provide the parking"?

One of the latent idiosyncracies of your comment that it's too small, is that the interests in the area are conviced that it is not. As such, they aren't building more garages or adding capacity to the plans for this one. So the fact that it's "too small" might end up creating a shortage of parking in the area. If you combine this shortage with a moratorium of sorts on parking, people are going to start considering transit and "moving" downtown.

There is another problem, that it will be harder to attract new business downtown if it's too hard to park and I don't know how to answer that problem... any ideas? One thing is for sure, any moratorium on parking will have to be accompanied by an increased committment to transit.

Otherwise, I fear Detroit will live up to that saying "Detroit, A great place to park!!" if it hasn't already.

end of rant.

Archived