Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHofKS

Knoxville Fire

5 posts in this topic

I just happened to be headed toward downtown Knoxville this morning while some old 4 to six story brick warehouses were burning in a spectacular fashion. See CNN for info. The flames had engulfed the building and were shooting 30' in the air. I'm glad no one was seriously hurt. But it was an incredible sight to see. Traffic backed up on I-40 because of the driver/spectators.

Those buildings were very visible from I-40 and were quite an eyesore on the skyline. They looked like something from the seige of Stalingrad. It's a shame they could not have been rehabed into some nice urban lofts.

I snapped some photos with my phone (Cingular), but I don't have a clue how to download them.

If anyone finds out what is to become of this property, keep us posted.

There was a story on channel 5 a little while ago. They do not know the cause of the fire but they did say the one that caught on fire first was being renovated. It spread to two other buildings and I think all are total loses.

Those are some old historic warehouses near the Old City. I don't know if they had any historic value, but it would have been nice if they could have transformed them into condos or something before it burned down. Apparently nothing had been done with the buildings since they were not up to fire codes (they were abandoned, at least for the most part).

Wow! I know the ones you're talking about. They could have made for some interesting DT lofts. Glad to hear nobody was hurt.

They could have made for some interesting DT lofts.