Knoxville Fire

MidTenn1

I just happened to be headed toward downtown Knoxville this morning while some old 4 to six story brick warehouses were burning in a spectacular fashion. See CNN for info. The flames had engulfed the building and were shooting 30' in the air. I'm glad no one was seriously hurt. But it was an incredible sight to see. Traffic backed up on I-40 because of the driver/spectators.

Those buildings were very visible from I-40 and were quite an eyesore on the skyline. They looked like something from the seige of Stalingrad. It's a shame they could not have been rehabed into some nice urban lofts.

I snapped some photos with my phone (Cingular), but I don't have a clue how to download them.

If anyone finds out what is to become of this property, keep us posted.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are some old historic warehouses near the Old City. I don't know if they had any historic value, but it would have been nice if they could have transformed them into condos or something before it burned down. Apparently nothing had been done with the buildings since they were not up to fire codes (they were abandoned, at least for the most part).

Archived