5 West Mountain Development

Mith242

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another taller building may be coming to the downtown square area of Fayetteville if the PC approves a small change to the current height restrictions. The building will replace a one story structure just to the east of the Town Center with a 7 story mixed use office and residential building. The current area only allows a maximum of 6 stories or 84 feet tall, whatever is less. But the developers are proposing a 7 story structure that will be less than 84 ft in height. Planning staff recommends approval of this project.

Here is some more info from the upcoming PC meeting: New 7 Story Building on the Square

The address is 5 West Mountain, so I don't think that this is the right location you have selected. It would seem to be perfect for a larger building but the description says the Town Center is west, Executive Center is (1 West Mountain) is north and east avenue is east with a public alley to the south. It also says that it does not have direct access to Mountain St.

Do you know what Executive Center is? My guess is the place w/ Tim's Pizza in it but it could be what ever building is located there on the SW corner of Mountain and East. Looking at your google earth pic, I actually think that it could be the very small building located directly west of the street identifier "S. East Ave" It has a white roof. They said that the building they were going to tear down was on 1500 sq ft. Hopefully someone from UP can make it to the PC meeting and find out more info. This is the same meeting with Ruskin Heights on Monday night. Let me know what you think.

The building right on the SW corner of East and Moutain has one of the red planning notification signs that Fayetteville uses in a window facing East. That's the same building that has the cool play soldier display in the front window. It's a very small piece of property for a 7 story building.

The building right on the SW corner of East and Moutain has one of the red planning notification signs that Fayetteville uses in a window facing East. That's the same building that has the cool play soldier display in the front window. It's a very small piece of property for a 7 story building.

Okay looks like zman9810 is correct to a point. I believe there are two buildings instead on just one where zman9810 is referring to. The one on the front I believe is the Lewis Brothers Hardware Building built in 1908. It's the one with the little soldiers in the front window. I didn't see any signs or notifications in it's windows. I think the building in question is the one directly behind it on East Ave. It's a very small building. It's basically between the Lewis Brothers Hardware Building the the Fayetteville Town Center parking deck. Although it's so small maybe the Lewis Brothers Buildings is a part of the deal too. It's not quite as historical as the Guisinger Building (1886) just across East Ave from it. But it's still a nice historic building. I'd hate to see it go. Anyway here's some pics.

futuredevelopmentlot8xg.jpg

futuredevelopmentlot023sq.jpg

futuredevelopmentlot039un.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of off subject here but I found out a little more information on the new proposed 7-story development just off of the square. We have talked about it before, it is called 5 West Mountain. I did find a few bad pictures of the building but they are not the best quality. So I will go ahead a post this link to the Board of Adjustments site where I found them.

5 West Mountain

Kind of off subject here but I found out a little more information on the new proposed 7-story development just off of the square. We have talked about it before, it is called 5 West Mountain. I did find a few bad pictures of the building but they are not the best quality. So I will go ahead a post this link to the Board of Adjustments site where I found them.

5 West Mountain

5 West Mountain

Matt and I thought this development might have enough interest to have it's own topic. Especially now that some early renderings are coming out. I guess whenever Matt has a chance he'll move some of the posts out of the Fayetteville topic over here. Matt if it's not too much trouble there some older posts where I went out and actually took pics of the property a couple weeks back. If you can't find it though I can always repost the pics.

Matt and I thought this development might have enough interest to have it's own topic. Especially now that some early renderings are coming out. I guess whenever Matt has a chance he'll move some of the posts out of the Fayetteville topic over here. Matt if it's not too much trouble there some older posts where I went out and actually took pics of the property a couple weeks back. If you can't find it though I can always repost the pics.

I think this will have a hard time making it through the city council. If you stand at the town center plaza next to this tiny site you'll see that it is maybe 25 feet from the town center tower. At that height it will overwhelm the tower and plaza. It is a private residence with some office space for the owners in a very public area. The fact that there aren't close residential neighbors to oppose it may be the only way it passes.

As a side note, at the planning comission meeting the owner's representative mentioned that the owner's son resides in the new building just south of the town center at the SW corner of Rock & East. That residence is an impressive addition to downtown.

I think this will have a hard time making it through the city council. If you stand at the town center plaza next to this tiny site you'll see that it is maybe 25 feet from the town center tower. At that height it will overwhelm the tower and plaza. It is a private residence with some office space for the owners in a very public area. The fact that there aren't close residential neighbors to oppose it may be the only way it passes.

As a side note, at the planning commission meeting the owner's representative mentioned that the owner's son resides in the new building just south of the town center at the SW corner of Rock & East. That residence is an impressive addition to downtown.

That was brought up in the Planning Commission meeting as well. But they were very quick to point out despite it being that many stories that it still fit the height requirements set for that area. Which would have to mean either the floors are rather short. I think there's a bit of a hill so they're probably judging the height from the side near the Town Center. I was under the impression it would be the height of an average 4 story building, at least from the viewpoint from the Square and the Town Center.

I think that the stipulation was that it has to be 6 stories or 84 feet, whichever is less. But they got a variance or something from the city that lets them do seven stories, just as long as it is under the 84 feet. The city is going to have to be somewhat flexible on this stupid height limit, or they will loose out on millions of tax dollars. It will eventually be too expensive to build anything under 6 stories and be able to profit from it in the downtown area.

With that height limit everything will be built to that limit in order to maximize return of dollar. Fayetteville will be the city of 6 story buildings, but they will certainly be compatible. LOL. To me, once a building is over a couple of floors, what difference does it make? It's going to block the view of Old Main (the common complaint) anyway. Reducing Divinity to 9 floors didn't make sense- it's still going to be a tall building. Why not go ahead and maximize use of that lot and reduce the pressure to build up on other lots?

Yeah I think the city is going to have to decide on what direction they're going to go. If you allow such restrictive building heights then you can't get very good infill to cut down sprawl because it's not economically feasible. Looks at this property as a perfect example.

if they want more activity in downtown and the square, developers will need to build more hi rise residential ontop of commercial, and that will usually be higher than 6 or 12 stories, what we realy need for the downtown area to develop is a strong corporate pressence, id love to see a couple thirty story buildings in downtown, mixing in with the hillsides and trees, it would be a very unique and beautiful looking downtown. as for old main, you can see the damn thing from my house in tontitown, and from the mall in faytown easily, downtown is way on the other hill side, the only residence views it could block would be from the far south east side of the city, and all you see out there are hills and apartment complexes, i dont think a bunch of people are complaining, i just think some city planners are stuck back in the small town 50s. screw a whole bunch of that.

if they want more activity in downtown and the square, developers will need to build more hi rise residential ontop of commercial, and that will usually be higher than 6 or 12 stories, what we realy need for the downtown area to develop is a strong corporate pressence, id love to see a couple thirty story buildings in downtown, mixing in with the hillsides and trees, it would be a very unique and beautiful looking downtown. as for old main, you can see the damn thing from my house in tontitown, and from the mall in faytown easily, downtown is way on the other hill side, the only residence views it could block would be from the far south east side of the city, and all you see out there are hills and apartment complexes, i dont think a bunch of people are complaining, i just think some city planners are stuck back in the small town 50s. screw a whole bunch of that.

I agree with you. Although I don't think it's just some of the city officials. I think there's quite a few residents who feel that way. I've recently been using my flickr account more and found there's a Fayetteville group. Someone had taken a picture on Dickson St and then came the comments like yeah go take pictures now before it's ruined and so on. There's certainly still a large anti-development group out there. They tend to be rather vocal and make their voices be heard so I think it makes it harder for the city. But I agree, I really think they need to loosen the restrictions they set in some areas like the downtown and allow for some taller developments. Of course that doesn't mean if someone came along and wanted a taller building downtown they couldn't. But they'd have to convince the City Council first.

Archived