Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCgfx

Charlotte Skyline on Vintage PC Game Box

17 posts in this topic

Check out the city on the box of the game Civilization...looks vaguely familiar!

Civilization.jpg

ah yes, that ran on good ol' DOS. While I never played the original (I was too young to pay attention to the computer rather than fake swords make of sticks,) I believe my older brother played it almost non-stop after we got our first computer. That's pretty random they chose the city of Charlotte as the higher end of the "empire." I wonder what went into choosing us.

when did this game come out? I reckon this skyline was circa 1990-1992?

when did this game come out? I reckon this skyline was circa 1990-1992?

I was (and still am) a CIV junkie. I still have the box for that game at home and never picked up on the skyline (that's pretty sad...) Well, I guess Charlotte is a "Civilization that will stand the test of time!"

I remember the box, and remember it being Charlotte on the cover. I think this was discussed on SSP at one time, and the artist that did the box was from Charlotte (hence the skyline).

When I looked at the artwork, the first thing I thought of was the King Tut exhibit that came through Charlotte. Does anyone remember when that was? Is it possible that the artwork was "borrowed" from that?

^ Wow, you remember that, that was like 22 years ago, as I think I was 8 when the Tut exhibit came to CLT. Or was that Ramses the Great?

When I looked at the artwork, the first thing I thought of was the King Tut exhibit that came through Charlotte. Does anyone remember when that was? Is it possible that the artwork was "borrowed" from that?

It was ramses the great. The exhibit was so large they couldn't house it all inside the mint museum. They actually brought tents and built a brick pathway out in the park so that they could house a statue. If you go walk your dog in that park today, be on the lookout for the brick ruins still there. They are nearby the museum parking lot.

To this day, it has be the largest and most signifianct travelling art that charlotte has seen. Dead sea scrolls doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

It was ramses the great. The exhibit was so large they couldn't house it all inside the mint museum. They actually brought tents and built a brick pathway out in the park so that they could house a statue. If you go walk your dog in that park today, be on the lookout for the brick ruins still there. They are nearby the museum parking lot.

To this day, it has be the largest and most signifianct travelling art that charlotte has seen. Dead sea scrolls doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

Cool! I remember I saw Charlotte's skyline on Swat 2 or 3 from the introduction of the game.