Greater City: Exchange

Cotuit

LAUNCH_invite_blue-1.jpg

Please join Greater City: Providence for the Launch of our monthly Greater City: Exchange meetings.

The goal of the Greater City: Exchange is to gather together people from across the city and around the region to exchange ideas, information, resources, and passion for the city. There are plenty of organizations and plenty of people out there championing the city and working hard on specific projects. The Greater City: Exchange gives us urban minded individuals a chance to gather together and discuss what we're working on individually and the challenges we are facing in our own corners of the city. By setting a time and place to exchange ideas we can come up with new solutions and combine resources to work together on initiatives that work to improve the entire city.

The Launch of the Greater City: Exchange will take place Tuesday, February 27th starting at 5:30pm at Jewel Cafe & Lounge in the Jewelry District. Jewel is located at 15 Elbow Street (some may recall this as the former location of The Call) between Chestnut and Ship Streets.

The event starts at 5:30pm with a short (very short) presentation about Greater City: Providence at 6:30pm. Hang out through the evening for more drinks, conversation, and live music. The Greater City: Exchange will continue monthly on the second Tuesday of every month, starting March 13th. We'll have more information on the location of the March 13th Greater City: Exchange coming soon.

I'm sure some of you are aware that a number of us have been getting together for the last few months to form a group to bring the discussions we have here on UrbanPlanet off-line and into tangible action on the ground in the real world. We lauched GC:PVD in advance of the Providence Tomorrow charrettes and since then have been organizing ourselves and talking to various people around town. This event on the 27th is the culmination of that organizing and the first step in moving towards that real world action.

We hope that many people from UrbanPlanet will come and be a part of the event. We're hoping to get a good turn out from people around the city. It should be an exciting night to talk about the city, exchange ideas and concerns with our neighbors, and make connections to initiate action.

As the above says, this will be a monthly event, however it won't completely replace UP{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Providence forum meetings. I will continue to organize UrbanPlanet specific meet-ups throughout the year so that us here on the forum can meet and socialize and chat about all things UrbanPlanet. I hope to see many of you on the 27th!

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope to see everyone there tonight!

For everyone reading and posting who cares about Providence and about the quality of our urban lifestyle here, this kickoff event is a way to start translating your interest into action.

Jewel, 15 Elbow St, 5:30-7:30 PM tonight. See you all there!

- Garris

the mushroom caps were excellent but i was a little disappointed at how quickly we were hustled out of there after about 8:30 or so! There was still a bunch of us who wanted to eat and drink and ended up having to either go home (like i did) or go to Beer Rep like others did...

It was great to meet everyone, and I have to add that my Manhattan was delicious.

Somebody who worked there (the owner?) recognized my husband from way back when he (my husband) used to go to Galimoffrey's and he (the owner?) used to work there. Way way back when. So I have high hopes for the food, as Galimoffrey's was great.

it is a lovely place though and the two drinks i ordered were, in fact, made to perfection. I'm still feeling them today, in fact.

The people at Jewel were very accomodating of us, I even had one of them up on a chair moving around some lights for me. They provided the food for free. Now that we know what are turn out is like, we can plan a little more in the food department.

Next meeting is back at Jewel on the 13th.

I'm also working on a something for a special UP meeting coming up soon.

Last night was spectacular! I also would like to thank everyone that came and commend Jewel on doing a fantastic job of making us feel welcome. For anybody that missed last night's event, I would greatly suggest coming to the next one. There was absolutely no shortage of great conversation, there was a general sense of optimism in the crowd and it seemed that anybody that came as a skeptic left feeling otherwise. As yesterday's meeting was mostly an introductory event, I'm sure that in the coming month we'll be able to focus more directly on specific topics and get a lot of brainstorming done. As is, a lot of brainstorming and connecting on topics was done last night and it left me feeling invigorated with a sense that everybody there was really focused on action and how to best approach it. So once again, thanks to all involved in any way with last night's success and hopefully this will be a catalyst for great things in the city.

• 2 weeks later...

A reminder to everyone, tonight:

2007-0313_gcexchange_web.jpg

We look forward to seeing everyone there for the usual drinks and urban discussion.

I'm sure they'll be a lot of Transit2020 talk tonight. I'm sure there will also be talk of both our own transit initiatives and skyline lighting initiatives as well as two of the initiatives I'll be launching (Care for Providence Station and the Better Brown Bookstore initiatives).

- Garris

• 3 weeks later...

We will have a representative from the Mayor's office at the Greater City: Exchange on Tuesday to speak about the Graffiti Initiative and discuss ways that the community can help to improve it.

If I didn't mention it here before, we will also have members of the WBNA discussing some of their work. If you live in another part of the city, or even if you live on the West Side and are interested in the WBNAs work, this is a great opportunity to hear about it.

And even with all of that, there will be plenty of time to meet and mingle and enjoy drinks and tater tots (yes, MoJoe's has tots!).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived