Has America Squandered its post-War Wealth (WWII) on Suburbs?

monsoon

Has America Squandered its post-War Wealth (WWII) on Suburbs?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Has America Squandered its post-War Wealth (WWII) on Suburbs?

• No - The suburbs represent the American Dream
    • Yes - We have spend the fortune of several generations on low quality unsustainable development

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is the difference I am talking about in saying "squandered" instead of mis-appropriated or mis-spent or just plain mis-prioritized. I too would love to see more money spent on inner cities. I would also like to see more money spent on rehabing those more run down portions of suburbs, to bring them back to life and to per haps turn them into downtowns. After all, most cities started out as small places. But that, I think, is less an argument over are suburbs good or bad, and more an issue with where people in America choose to spend their money. If you have ever heard about the European Dream stuff, you might find this interesting. European tradition has always held that the responsibility of government was to support the people. It descends from the ideas of nobility and ancient kingdoms, where people served their lords, who ultimately had a responsibility to the commoners. In the US we are very different, in that it's a kind of self-rule, self-sufficiency ideal. Government is there only to keep people from taking too much advantage of their situation - you are only limited by, and responsible for, your own ability, ingenuity, and hard work. Which is why we don't spend much on public issues - the ideal is that people should support themselves first.

Archived