Courtside

Southend

I forgot who initially posted the news that there is/was talk of a midrise uptown condo building in 1st ward along caldwell- any news on the status of this and when will it (or will it not) be announced? I'm starving for some uptown construction news. The rain has gotten to me. :ph34r:

Admin's Note: Thread to discuss Courtside which this project became

72116720996.jpg

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reported about 2 weeks ago that a supposedly 16-story condo tower was to be announced around April 15th. A realtor told me that height. i had originally heard 12-stories. Guess we'll have to wait for the article in the paper!

I have heard that the condo's name will be "Courtside" in reference to its close proximity to the new Arena. I actually sat next to the architect for the project, David Furman, at a meeting last week. I did not get a chance to ask him about the development as he scooted out of the meeting early. However I did hear him say that something will be announced soon.

Also the property is already zoned UMUD, which stands for Uptown Mixed Use District so they won't have to get a rezoning unless they need conditions added to that.

First Ward is moving right along...within a block of me there are 3 seperate condo buildings under construction. With the 16 story Courtside building coming online any day now.

Fourth Ward has a new 4 story condo and a 8 story Apartment building going up.

Third Ward has the J&W Student Dorm going up.

I think the condo market downtown is definately maturing from a few years ago, when there was a glut of condos on the market. Construction has slowed down from a few years ago, but I think that it is about to pick up.

After Courtside...in First Ward alone there are 3 large condo projects that will likely be built in the next 3 years.

First Ward is moving right along...within a block of me there are 3 seperate condo buildings under construction. With the 16 story Courtside building coming online any day now.

Fourth Ward has a new 4 story condo and a 8 story Apartment building going up.

Third Ward has the J&W Student Dorm going up.

I think the condo market downtown is definately maturing from a few years ago, when there was a glut of condos on the market. Construction has slowed down from a few years ago, but I think that it is about to pick up.

After Courtside...in First Ward alone there are 3 large condo projects that will likely be built in the next 3 years.

well that is very encouraging. cityview towers is going to mesh well with 5th and popular and the whole brick clad district of graham. i freakin' love infill.

What is the averages for a condo downtown and the sizes? There is a chance I may be moving back to Chicago but if it does not pan out I may consider a move to downtown Charlotte. I'm getting sick of the crap that is going on in the burbs. I'd want at least a 2 bedroom condo.

I really like the design. The roof has a hint of the 715 north church condos. pretty cool, though. Tallest residential building within the loop, for now, hehehe.

This thing is going to have awesome, in your face views of the arena and the skyscraper cluster.

More gossip??? Give some details!

I walked around Uptown yesterday (thursday the 15th) and it was nice to see so many projects going up. J&W is really coming along, and even the student apartments in 4th ward are well under way. Hey, that building across the street (James K. Polk building), what is being done there?

The areas that still need 'infill' include that baron field near the Silos in 4th ward, the lots that will (hopefully sooner than later) become the new multi-modal transportation station, a few lots near the arena (no worries there...I think that area is about to explode), and of course the gov't district. I don't know what to make of the gov't district. A collection of bland gov't buildings and lots...what can really become of it?

More gossip??? Give some details!

I walked around Uptown yesterday (thursday the 15th) and it was nice to see so many projects going up. J&W is really coming along, and even the student apartments in 4th ward are well under way. Hey, that building across the street (James K. Polk building), what is being done there?

The areas that still need 'infill' include that baron field near the Silos in 4th ward, the lots that will (hopefully sooner than later) become the new multi-modal transportation station, a few lots near the arena (no worries there...I think that area is about to explode), and of course the gov't district. I don't know what to make of the gov't district. A collection of bland gov't buildings and lots...what can really become of it?

The 3 Projects for First Ward besides Courtside are:

1. Townhome project on McDowell at the 7th St intersection...will go on the piece of land wedged in between 277/McDowell/7th

2. CHA Condo/Apartment project in next to First Ward Rec Center. This will be about 6 stories tall and will have 300+ units.

3. First Ward Park redevelopment into mixed use retail/residential project. 200+ Condos, and some service retail.

Further out into the future is the Levine redevelopment of the surface parking lots.

As far as the James K Polk building, which houses various NC State offices...the exterior is being renovated, one brick at a time. A year or so ago a few hundred bricks fell off the building onto the sidewalk below....so they are completely restoring the brick exterior.

I like that Polk building. I'm glad they're renovating it.

I also noticed another spot the other day that is set for a boom of sorts. Along Trade, across from the courthouse, are some vacant buildings that are just waiting for some restaurants or retail to come along. Well, that J&W apartment building is being built directly behind it. Betcha that once that apartment building gets filled, that strip will likely fill up quickly, and either become a great nightlife or retail strip aimed at the college kids.

Uptownliving, these projects you mentioned, are they pure speculation and wishful thinking at this point, or are they further along? and can you give any further detail about the Levine surface lot redevelopment?

The only work being done to the Polk building is to assure that more damage isnt done. Its not being renovated. The state property office is going to put it up for sale soon. It has been deemed surplus property by the state of NC. Hopefully it will fall into the right hands.

Yes I totally wouldnt be surprised if J&W takes interest. They have a history of renovating old buildings. Theyve done wonders in downtown Providence. That building is two blocks from their campus and across the street from the apartments.

Our company was looking into it for a tenant once. It seems that it was an auto showroom way back in the day. They actually stored the cars in the upper floors, much be a pretty sturdy building! It was renovated in the 80's, thats where the exterior stairwells came from.

Well...everything is speculation till it gets built....

However the Townhome project on McDowell is likely to be announced sometime this year. Maybe this summer?

The CHA project is in the design phase right now.Maybe announce late this year...or next year...depending on market demand.

The First Ward Park is in the early design phase. Likely won't start construction till 2006 at the earliest.

Archived