Courtside

Southend

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll bet you do, too :).

the question is: after you move in, will you stare at your office all night :).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sure hope not, I'm at work about 12 hours a day as it is. I'll more likely be staring longingly from work at the 9 foot pool table I'm putting in the loft area of my condo and wishing I were playing.

by the way, it is definitely 17 when counting on the 6th street side, but it is 16 when counting from the caldwell side. i think i counted about 4 times when i was on my run tonight. (yes, i'm the riff raff in a white tee running around downtown at night :) ).

• 2 weeks later...

Drove by Courtside today. Just wondered if anybody who bought a place here has had second thoughts about going to one of the other condo projects. Out of the announced projects, which one looks to be the most attractive or are they all can't miss?

Drove by Courtside today.  Just wondered if anybody who bought a place here has had second thoughts about going to one of the other condo projects.  Out of the announced projects, which one looks to be the most attractive or are they all can't miss?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only reservation might be a lack of a swimming pool, but that's well mediated by having purchased before about a $50-$100/square foot increase in price.

I walked by courtside Friday as the big storm was rolling in. Gave me the willies to be so near that big crane, with all the sky-to-ground lighting going on! :ph34r: Looks like they're beginning to roll the facade up the sides.

Most of the windows are in, up to floor 9.  The brick exterior work has also begun at the lower levels of the building.  The overall look of the building is slowly starting to take shape.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope it looks nice, I've got a few reservations about that much exposed concrete but I've learned to trust Furman's aesthetic eye.

why is this building the shortest 17 stories I've ever seen?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol... i agree with you, i think it looks shorter than i was expecting.

i think the main reason is that we aren't used to seeing residential towers in charlotte. With the shorter floors, the building turns out to be much shorter than a 17 story office building. When i first read 16 stories, i was roughly imagining a building 2 times as tall as the bellsouth switch building next door... but it is no where near that tall.

It's an interesting building. One thing that occured to me as I was downtown this morning is that in every other Carolina city (except for maybe Myrtle Beach) you could plop down a 17 story building and it would be immediately apparent. However with Courtside, you don't even notice it that much, and from the surrounding parts of town where there are skyline views, its swallowed up by the larger towers. It can't even be seen. I guess that speaks volumes about Charlotte's growing skyline.

I moved this from the other thread since I didn't want to hijack it.

Anyone notice how "plain" this building looks compared to the renderings for it.

I just did a check with one of my photos. Courtside looks remarkably like a hotel in Myrtle Beach. Though I don't think they would use that ugly brick cladding which appears to be on the side of Courtside in dxartist's photo. (and a trademark of a lot of Charlotte architects these days) Even the construction appears to be the same complete with blowout walls.

Is it just me, or could this have been done better?

Courtside Pnoto taken by dxartist.

1126176132117_08_courtside.jpg

Myrtle Beach Best Western

227843%20.jpg

maybe i'll take another angle... that is a nice looking best western :).

you know, i think you are right that it is a lesser than the rendered version, but the difference seems to be the roof. i think the original design had a slanted roof. it appears that he has changed the design to make the roof a place residents can go (which was addressed in the article about the park and courtside a number of months ago). as a result, it is a much more cool project from a liveability perspective, but much less interesting in design.

Patience people.....this will turn out fine. You can see the metal "framing" for the slanted concrete roof....they just haven't poured it yet. I was actually thinking that it will have more detail than originally rendered because it looks like their will be a little roof top "gazebo" that I'm not sure was originally planned. Also, most of the details won't be added till the end like the faux framing of the windows etc.

I don't see many similarities between Courtside and this Best Western.

Courtside has a lot more rounded surfaces and the fins on the side. The roof on Courtside is also a lot more pronounced and overhangs in places.

This Best Western is just a box with a elevator shaft on the side topped with a fake bell tower.

Archived