Courtside

Southend

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. And quite a bit of it, especially on the back side. The front is mostly glass, and the 6th St side is mostly brick. The side the faces Independence and First Ward: a blank stucco wall.

:)

They have banned this stuff in a number of Coastal counties in NC. I wish they would do it in Mecklenburg. It really starts to look bad in a few years. I have a small amount of it on one dormer on my house and it is a constant maintenance problem. It has to be washed and re-painted quite often to look decent. Fortunately I have just a small amount. I might strip it off one day and put something else on there.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-031.htm

Apparently, Blvd Centro is asking for a rezoning of the Courtside/Court6 site in order to no longer be required to bury utilities. Instead, they want to move them to the other side of 6th street. According to the application, it is to avoid complexities and create better opportunities for mast-arm installations.

I'm a bit disappointed, as I was hoping the utilities would continue to be buried as part of these projects. Potentially, it could be a net positive, if it means that they can move forward on mast-arm signals for 6th and Caldwell.

Hopefully, they will continue to bury the lines on the Caldwell side, which not only are ugly, but the poles take up half the sidewalk width.

walked past there today and it looks like they are putting up white balconies and some sort of red cladding at the base of the building and on the Autumn Place side.

I also heard a rumor that the retail tenant might be a Brazilian restaurant. That would be cool because I love Brazilian food but don't know of any such establishments currently in town.

Isn't there a Brazilian place at Independence and Sharon Amity that is pretty popular? It would be cool if they are successful enough and want to take part in the uptown scene.

Brazilian restaurants are quite a dining experience. Although Atkins is on the way out and has been all year.

Isn't there a Brazilian place at Independence and Sharon Amity that is pretty popular? It would be cool if they are successful enough and want to take part in the uptown scene.

yes dubone...you are correct sir...I forgot the name, but apparently the owner of the one on Independence is the same owner who's negotiating to be in Courtside. I meant to say there are no Brazilian restaurants Uptown.

yes dubone...you are correct sir...I forgot the name, but apparently the owner of the one on Independence is the same owner who's negotiating to be in Courtside. I meant to say there are no Brazilian restaurants Uptown.

I think the name is Brazas. Haven been there but heard good things about. All the meat you can eat.

walked past there today and it looks like they are putting up white balconies and some sort of red cladding at the base of the building and on the Autumn Place side.

I also heard a rumor that the retail tenant might be a Brazilian restaurant. That would be cool because I love Brazilian food but don't know of any such establishments currently in town.

I worked at the site on Tuesday ( :angry: ) and noticed the same thing. I grabbed two quick pics but they didn't come out very well, but here they are anyway. This is the Autumn Place side.

12-6-05001.jpg

12-6-05002.jpg

wow, i think i am the only person that really hates this building... everytime i see it i cringe haha

Judging by the number of posts where you bash it, I think we are all clear on your position. :P In fact, the intensity of it makes me almost swear you were an agent at a competing condo project. :whistling:

Me personally... I like it! I like all of Furman's projects.

Judging by the number of posts where you bash it, I think we are all clear on your position. :P In fact, the intensity of it makes me almost swear you were an agent at a competing condo project. :whistling:

Me personally... I like it! I like all of Furman's projects.

It seems fine to me. As a resident, I actually don't want floor-to-ceiling glass like the newer projects. The end result is large temperature variations and too much sunlight. No place to paint or hang pictures either. I think the front side views down sixth and caldwell looks great. The back is a little bland, but certainly not offensive (like a pink building we know of). Hate is a bit of a strong word, probably better reserved for the BellSouth building or parking decks, or parking lots. Even then, they're just buildings and primarily are functional in purpose.

In the vue they have special windows that do not let heat or cold come in, the glass stays the same temperature as inside, I dunno how it works but I wonder if courtside has the same thing

Those are some pretty amazing windows. Anything that lets light through is going to allow temperature variations. Also, no material is a perfect insulator, although I'm sure they've got a few tricks with films and whatnot that can cut down a bit on thermal transfer. Unless perhaps they're some type of self-polarizing double-paned storm window with a vacuum space in between the panes, which sounds pretty gawd-awful expensive. Considering the cost of most the places in the Vue are literally three times what I paid for the same sized space, I guess that some type fancy windows are possible. I doubt it is worth the money. I just work in an office with two walls having floor to ceiling windows and wouldn't really want that for my home. Too much of a good thing.

wow, i think i am the only person that really hates this building... everytime i see it i cringe haha

I think it would be helped if they would paint the backside of the building an interesting color. Something Bold and Bright. A few coats of paint shouldn't cost that much. As it is now, it looks too much like a Duke Power building.

Archived