Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carter711

Old Man of the Mountain Memorial

10 posts in this topic

feb8oldman_sketch_220px.jpg

Old Man memorial unveiled

By PAULA TRACY

Union Leader Staff

Concord

This is wonderful, I can't wait to see it completed.

So much for the "let's not make a fake replacement" idea. While I support making some kind of monument or something to mark it, this is just a disguised attempt at making a fake replacement. I think they would be better off doing something different.

It's not a replacement, they aren't putting this on the mountain, they're putting on the lakeshore.

I know. But it still seems to me that they are simply trying to get another replica of a face for people to come up and look at. I wouldn't mind the idea if it was someplace else, even. But somehow this puts the emphasis on the face instead of on the wonder of nature creating something so magnificent. Maybe it's just me, but it seems so touristy to me.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems so touristy to me.

Franconia Notch? I could see North Conway, but Franconia is more about hiking and outdoors and such. You have the Basin area, the Flume, Lafayette trail, the Flume (OK, that may be a bit touristy), all the trails around Cannon and Boyce Rock. That whole section is within the State Park's boundary.

So much for the "let's not make a fake replacement" idea. While I support making some kind of monument or something to mark it, this is just a disguised attempt at making a fake replacement. I think they would be better off doing something different.

Having just travelled up to Franconia (for hiking and camping), I don't find an issue with the monument. You really won't see much of it unless you pull into the parking area which is already a highly tourist area with cannon Mountain (tram), the beach @ echo lake.......

Given the fact that the old man was held up by glue and cables for the past 50+ years it was a fake for the last half century already why not replace it on the ground.

By the way the basin / cascade trail is highly underrated. A great family hike.