Governor Rell goes nuts

beerbeer

I agree with this.

Money certainly does not translate into better education and often doesn't even translate into real resources for students and teachers. Low expectations are a bigger part of the problem. However, in a poverty sticken school system like Hartford, there is no denying that schools require more resources than in other communities.

Ok, let's make a big assumption here, let's say the income tax increase is offset by decrease in property tax, the net effect for property owners is zero, I am going to suggest that commercial and residential renters will not see a rent reduction, instead the landlords will take the reduction in property tax to the bank. So under this ideal situation, the net winners are landlords, and net losers are those working citizens who do not own home and those businesses that rent.

Now, if this is truly a zero sum tax modification, and the intend is to have the state taking away education funding at the local level, and distribute state funding according the needs of school district, I am for its intend but I think I would take over property tax per se rather than increasing one tax and hoping for reduction of another when the reduction may or may not take place.

Lastly, since we all agree more money to the crappy Hartford school system is not the solotion, anyone have anything remotely realistic that can solve the problem?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I mean is our state government is BLOATED with a capital B. When one in four people in this state get their income through tax dollars, the government has grown beyond what is sustainable for the working masses to support realistically. Ask anyone around you if they think their taxes are too high, just right or too low. 99% of them will say way too high, and it's breaking our backs.

1. Higher expectations. The idea that many Hartford school children are hopeless often comes from within the school system itself. I think this new superintendent might be the right guy for the job. This has to come from the top down. Individual teachers can certainly make a difference. But the culture and learning environment of schools must scream "this is a serious and positive learning environment. Anything less will not be tollerated."

2. Although I am way more pro-union than most on this board, I would say eliminate teacher union contracts and tenure as we know it. What extra funding schools get should be used by administrators to compete for top quality teachers. These would be individual contracts, not union contracts. Of course, this will never happen. But in my experience, teachers unions act to protect burned out teachers and punish those who work hard and get results. Teachers unions are the worst unions.

3. The return of the middle class, as many have mentioned would be a great boost. Most who have a choice simply would not send their kids to Hartford Public Schools, for good reasons. At some point, a tipping point will have to be reached in which an influx of middle class families say "we are sending our kids to public school in Hartford and we demand that they get the same quality education that they would in the suburbs."

4. Connected to 3- families at current public schools must be involved and demand the absolute best. There is too much apathy and not enough parental activity. Of course, this is not for me to say because I do not currently live in Hartford and do not have school-aged children. Rather this attitude has to come from the community itself.

I actually love the fact that Rell rode into the governorship on a waive of popularity by doing, literally, nothing, and now's she's made history with a really bold move, and one that nobody would've pegged a Republican, let alone her, to do. I'm glad she never said anything about it until the speech, but that's because I believe in the trustee form of government. We don't have state-wide referrendums for a reason. Was it Aristotle that said the masses are incapable of governing themselves? Finally a governor who is doing what she thinks is right rather than what either the people or selfish interests are telling her to. Why do I say that? People are rational, but can only see about a month ahead; long-term planning just doesn't work in a democracy ... unless someone like Rell is willing to put it all on the line when in office. The best kind of governor in my mind would be one who isn't worried about reelection. And that seems to be Rell. Ever notice that most presidents do better in their second terms?! Clinton is the perfect example. He could've one a third term precisely because he wasn't allowed to run for one.

That is a big assumption. LOL :D I think I'd rather take my chances on Lotto than the property tax break coming through.

Besides, I can't see how you can give tax relief...with tax money. Just doesn't make sense to me. At that point, it just becomes income redistribution.

1. Higher expectations. The idea that many Hartford school children are hopeless often comes from within the school system itself. I think this new superintendent might be the right guy for the job. This has to come from the top down. Individual teachers can certainly make a difference. But the culture and learning environment of schools must scream "this is a serious and positive learning environment. Anything less will not be tollerated."

2. Although I am way more pro-union than most on this board, I would say eliminate teacher union contracts and tenure as we know it. What extra funding schools get should be used by administrators to compete for top quality teachers. These would be individual contracts, not union contracts. Of course, this will never happen. But in my experience, teachers unions act to protect burned out teachers and punish those who work hard and get results. Teachers unions are the worst unions.

The new superintendent can't do as much if the teachers union is entrenched. So is it possible to eliminate teacher union contracts and tenure as we know it? Isn't that like eliminating teachers union all together?

3. The return of the middle class, as many have mentioned would be a great boost. Most who have a choice simply would not send their kids to Hartford Public Schools, for good reasons. At some point, a tipping point will have to be reached in which an influx of middle class families say "we are sending our kids to public school in Hartford and we demand that they get the same quality education that they would in the suburbs."

I think the middle class will move in after there is a decent school system, not before.

4. Connected to 3- families at current public schools must be involved and demand the absolute best. There is too much apathy and not enough parental activity. Of course, this is not for me to say because I do not currently live in Hartford and do not have school-aged children. Rather this attitude has to come from the community itself.

Never mind apathy, there is a breakdown of family structure all together. I don't know if anyone has a solution for that.

So realistically speaking, there is not much can be done. Don't know why I am so negative today, must be lack of coffee.

Archived