PROPOSED: Weybosset Street Parking Facility

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gallery_52_2_58482.jpg

I to like that you'll be able to see the cars.

I like that Friedrich St. Florian has been brought on for the design, but what is up with that liner building? :sick: I think if you're going to have an automobile pez dispenser sticking out of the top, the liner building must be modern, but I am not liking what I see here. I wish I was able to make the DRC meeting to hear what the feedback was on that (or that the writer of the article had commented on it). Maybe a member of the DRC would like to chime in....

I'm glad to see that Orange Street stays, I was worried that this was going to span the lots on either side of Orange Street.

The parking structure is probably made from prefab units that are delivered to the site and then assembled like an erector set which could explain the quick building time. Don't know about the liner building. I like the parking part of the proposal but the front structure seems a little blah like a mini Garrahy Courthouse. Hopefully they can make it a little more interesting.

Thou it looks like a cool concept..... I question when "you are the first".....beside Hawaii that is.

What concerns me is the fact that the residential community downtown has been led to believe that a municiple lot could be in our future. A fair price to pay for visitors to our city, as well as a resonable cost for overnite parking.

Curious to know if that idea is still in the works and secondly whose pockets are going to benifit from this lot, surely not the taxpayes and voters of Providence.

I'll do my best to investigate this.

I don't even get that comment. I mean, it seems to me one could go to any of the sunbelt cities and say "I can haz weird pez dispenser parking garage?" and they'd say, sure, why not? Why would one have to struggle through Rhode Island as a way to gain traction elsewhere?

ETA: I mean I understand one could say, "Look Rhode Island has all these wack-a-doodle regulations and they let us do it." But I can't imagine the conversation getting that far elsewhere. I just imagine it would be, "can we build this?" "OK." 3 months later... pez dispenser.

“We picked Rhode Island because it’s the toughest state in the country for regulatory, building, and fire codes,” he said. “We’re using Rhode Island to help us get through the rest of the country.”

TheAnk = sadistically giggling about how incredibly inclement and overcast the business climate in Rhode Island is and/or appears to be to the world.......

This last meeting was the third time it was up for review. When the proposal went before the DRC in its very first incarnation I believe the comments encouraged a very civil and urban-friendly liner building in order to allow the towers to do their own thing.

I think to appreciate the liner building requires consideration of at least two points:

1. St. Florian presented it adjacent within the context of a a wider street elevation including the Arcade to demonstrate how it responds its proportions. I believe he said his intent was to honor that building but not overshadow it.

2. The cladding is all stone - this would be a much different proposition if it were dryvit or concrete. In a simple composition like this sometimes a rich material can carry the design if the overall proportion is balanced and the details are extremely careful. The DRC will be looking at specific material samples and detailing again at the next hearing.

2. The cladding is all stone - this would be a much different proposition if it were dryvit or concrete. In a simple composition like this sometimes a rich material can carry the design if the overall proportion is balanced and the details are extremely careful. The DRC will be looking at specific material samples and detailing again at the next hearing.

I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with Minneapolis, on the contrary, if it wasn't for the fact that the people there are so friendly, I'd consider living there (I can't stand friendly people!). I was just pointing out, that someone who lives in Minneapolis really shouldn't be crying to the city council about what does or does not "loom" over the Providence skyline.

• 4 months later...
I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with Minneapolis, on the contrary, if it wasn't for the fact that the people there are so friendly, I'd consider living there (I can't stand friendly people!). I was just pointing out, that someone who lives in Minneapolis really shouldn't be crying to the city council about what does or does not "loom" over the Providence skyline.

Archived