The Palms on Third

byrde

I saw that nasty giant scorpion cause major traffic jams around College Drive earlier in the day! :o It even caused a wreck on Acadian Thruway?? The reports said he was traveling West over the Perkins Road overpass across City Park headed toward Downtown. Funny thing it ended up at the old Commerce Bldg. It was supposedly looking for a "Skyscraper" tall(safe) enough to lay it eggs on top of.

The scorpion was not sucessful in finding anything around BR. The only thing tall enough was the State Capitol, but it it's too pointed on top and made things impossible + uncomfortable. ;)

Last I heard it was headed toward Houston; going across the Atchafalaya Basin for a quick meal and pit-stop! The Big Dog on the levee was unsuccesful in stopping the scorpion.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw that nasty giant scorpion cause major traffic jams around College Drive earlier in the day! :o It even caused a wreck on Acadian Thruway?? The reports said he was traveling West over the Perkins Road overpass across City Park headed toward Downtown. Funny thing it ended up at the old Commerce Bldg. It was supposedly looking for a "Skyscraper" tall(safe) enough to lay it eggs on top of.

The scorpion was not sucessful in finding anything around BR. The only thing tall enough was the State Capitol, but it it's too pointed on top and made things impossible + uncomfortable. ;)

Last I heard it was headed toward Houston; going across the Atchafalaya Basin for a quick meal and pit-stop! The Big Dog on the levee was unsuccesful in stopping the scorpion.

That's exactly how he was dressed for back in that 20's,30's era. And check the people in the above rendering; that's how they are dressed too. Never hurts to be optimistic...most of the time.

This could be exactly just what the Third Street/Entertainment District needs! Some flair, more lights, Palm Trees...only blocks from everything else going on. Across the street from The Wine Loft; Just A block away (east) from future River Place and the new club w/ retro Coca Cola sign(north); and only couple of blocks from the Shaw Center for the Arts, Hilton Capitol Center,etc.

If they (city) listen to me and mount a Lamar Digital Billboard on the Third Street parking garage at Convention Street. Then Downtown could have it's own mini, mini :shades: -Times Square. I need to persue this more.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I postd the whole article,but I felt this was important. Looks like the Palms on Third are down the drain. <_<:angry::(-_- It looks like the developer is an identity stealer and Dean will develop the building himself. I guess it could still be nice, but still I'm kind of disappointed. And what happend to the other bidders for this building?

Ex-partner says downtown developer accused of identity theft

A person claiming to be Vincent Marcello, who was attempting a mixed-use development in the Commerce Building downtown, is being investigated by the Louisiana Attorney General's office for identity theft, says his former business partner. Benn Azar, who planned to open a downtown daiquiri bar with Marcello, says Marcello's real name is John Ramirez.

Jay Simon, an attorney who represents Azar, says he's been contacted by representatives of the real Vincent Marcello, who lives in New Orleans. Marcello is in the process of filing a complaint of identity theft against Ramirez, Simon says.

This isn't the first bit of name confusion involving Ramirez. In February, when he first announced plans for the Palms on Third, a $38 million development at the Commerce Building site, he held a news conference and said his name was John Ramirez. Then rumors began that Ramirez's real name was Vince Marcello. In an interview with Business Report last month, he said his name was Marcello and that he gave a fake name so people wouldn't judge him.

Azar says he met Ramirez four months ago. He wanted to open a daiquiri bar downtown and says he wanted to work with Ramirez because he seemed like someone who could get things done. But after a few months of working on Third Street Daiquiris, Azar became suspicious, Simon says. "The way the man conducted himself, he saw some hollowness in all that," Simon says. An investigation led Azar to discover that Ramirez was the real name of his partner.

Attempts to contact Ramirez through a public-relations representative were unsuccessful. The person who answered the phone said he hadn't been in contact with Ramirez and didn't expect to hear from him. A message left at his company, Capital Holdings, was not returned. The Attorney General's office did not return phone calls seeking comment. Azar says he's still committed to opening Third Street Daiquiris. "I wish Mr. Ramirez the best, but we're no longer affiliated," he says.

Dean developing Commerce Building

Downtown developer Bob Dean says he's planning to reopen the Commerce Building as an entertainment center. Dean says he's joining with an unnamed partner and looking at several options, including restaurants and cafes, a jazz lounge and a private club. The Commerce Building at Third and Laurel streets will open in the near future, Dean says.

Don't give-up just yet....the old Commerce bldg. may still happen after all. This is what bidclerk.com had to say :shades:

Site work and renovation for a mixed-use development in Baton Rouge. Design plans call for a mix of restaurants and cafes, a jazz lounge and a private club in the existing eight-story office building.

The developer is in the process of finalizing purchase for the land. No inquiries are requested at this time.

Archived