The United States; A Good Nation or Bad Nation?

tamias6

Is the United States; A Good Nation or Bad Nation?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Under all that negative comments about this country as well as what our parents and teachers have told us, Is The United States a Good Nation or Bad Nation?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Unsure

In elementary schools across the country teachers tell us about the great virtues of the USA, things like the Bill of Rights, Democracy, and Liberty. You know the drill. Our parents tell us that we are blessed by living in the best nation on earth. But as of the last 10 to 15 years, there has been what I call America bashing as if the American People have lost their sense of National Pride. I hear things like, "American's are Excessive", "This Country is a Bully", "This Country's schools, heath care, etc is failing", or "America's influence is bad for the rest of the world." These statement are coming out of our own mouths. Sure this country is not by any means perfect. It never has been nor shall it ever be. However America did achieve allot over the last 250 years such has the first fight, the assembly line, and the Moon landing missions. But underneath it all is America really a good nation just as our parents and teachers have told us or is America really a Bad nation just as all the America bashing I keep hearing suggests?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think from the viewpoint of the rest of the would there is a lot of concern that America has lost it's way as the example to follow. We are the leading contributer to world pollution, we consume 1/3 of the world's resources while only having 1/20th the population, we spend more on military might than all of the other nations of the world combined, our corporations have exploited the underpriviledged of the world and have helped to undermine goverments for corporate goals, and we now start unjust wars.

I chose bad.

I think Americans have become apathetic, blind, religiously fanatic sheep just looking for a shepherd to lead us.

I think it's disgusting how we put down those in this country that are struggling or cannot succeed because they are disabled, etc. It makes me sick the way that wahoo Cowboys think that America knows what's best and think that we should push the world in the direction we want it to go with a boot firmly up the world's a$$. Toby Keith can kiss my .... courtesy of my bleeding heartedness.

The way that religious extremists/fanatics think that the Bible should be the source of all legislated morals really drags this country down. I'm sorry, but you can't legislate morality. If you want that kind of a system, go live in Saudi Arabia.

I think we spend way too much time debating how others should live their lives while not giving pause for a second to think about the way we live our own lives.

We spend way too much time trying to "help" the rest of the world while we let our own country rot from within.

Americans, in general, are getting lazier, fatter, and stupider. And these are the people that are just too lazy to lead their own lives to success and are willing to vote for the first person that can rile up their fears the fastest and lead us on a charge around the world to search for more oil. We're a 1933 Germany just waiting to happen.

There aren't a lot of redeeming qualities about Americans, these days. The ones that are really great qualities that set us apart form other countries: Skepticism and challenge to authority, right to petition our government when it does something unconstitutional and expecting our government to make sure businesses are fair... are all going down the toilet.

We are becoming an Authoritarian Corporatocracy where people constantly whine and moan about "high" taxes while they go on and on about how all gays and other undesirables will burn in hell while going out and smoking meth and hiring prostitutes and what have you... claiming to hate fascism while practicing it, basically.

An Authoritarian Corporatic Hypocracy is more like it...

It puts a whole new meaning to the phrase:

If you're not pissed off, you're not paying attention.

I agree with (at least) bits of everything posted here thus far; I didn't vote in this one. I can't make a blanket statement either way - I'm too willing to be an hysteric regarding our many, many very serious flaws, but I do have something of a patriotic streak as well. I dislike hearing America insulted, which happens with some regularity (and is not synonymous with harsh, but well-thought critique), but I also hate seeing us make asses out of ourselves, or not learning anything from our less-admirable historic episodes.

I'm pretty far to the left in my views, though there are stray opinions and ideas from the other end of the political spectrum that I'd also endorse, and I do wonder if we've as a society become more ideologically shrill, but also shallow - turning principles (left, right, center, or other) into theatre that has little or no actual concern with leading or governing the country. Our many social problems that keep going on and on to infinity cause me to think this; any number of issues that were fought over, thought out and dissected by various great brains of the left and right 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 years ago are all being fought over, thought out and dissected again today. As a society, this holds us back, and the rest of the world isn't standing still. I have no problem with China, India, Brazil or someone else turning into some great power in 30 or 50 or 100 years - I think we are (or should be) good enough to maintain our achievements and principles well enough - but if we were to decline due to sloppy policy, lazy thinking, greed (at the top and bottom of society), taking our past for granted, or any sense of innate superiority over anyone else, it would be a betrayal of everything this country is - theoretically - supposed to be for. Should such a thing happen, I'm sure someone would find a way to spin it in the press, or distract us with religion, sex, drugs, a dead celeb or some other irrelevant nonsense.

I'm really angry over things that I think are or were avoidable - I think social justice has almost turned into a dirty word, which is disgusting. And I don't want to see another Vietnam or WW, and I think there are people here - and in at least a few other nations as well - who would LOVE to see that happen (without admitting such; they probably think they can make a buck out of it), and I'm stunned that such idiocy could exist, and rise to some level of power or authority somewhere. I am bothered by the increasing willingness to write off education; I think we are in an era in which being stupid and unaware of the world (or your own country) might be a dangerous way to exist. And - I don't care what the political party - I'm starting to think that anyone running for any national office should be constitutionally required to (first) mow someone's yard, flip a burger or two, dig a ditch, clean somebody else's house or put a roof on a block of McMansions in July, (second) wait for the paycheck, and (last - and most important, given that we're maybe gonna send them to congress or the White House) make them balance their own checkbook after paying a big stack of bills before we allow them anywhere near Washington, DC.

What we do, and what we accomplish (good or bad) is what matters. We gotta walk it like we talk it, or shut up.

Good nation, bad current situation. The "situation" runs the gamut from some selfish Americans to our current administration and the cloud they have cast over the country. This doesn't include all of us, IMO, nor the concept of our country -- just what is going on at present.

I remember growing up frightened of the big bad Bear -- USSR -- and their politics and tactics of pressure and fear around the world. Now when I travel I see that we have taken some of that role in the eyes of others outside the US. The bad part, if you take the time to look at their perspective, it is hard to debate.

I too share some of the concerns posted in this discussion. The America of the 21st century seems to be sort of lazy, greedy (looking out for no. 1), and arrogant. We have a President who started an unjust, unpopular and un-called for war against a nation whom never attacked us. We have a President who is hellbent on trashing the constitution and all of the things that makes the US special (Government by the People for the People).

Even though it seems our Government and Society is drifting sideways I still maintain that overall the US is a good nation. We have the ability to correct these problems through free and open elections and the judiciary (Supreme Court). The founding fathers did one great thing they understood that our nation will change in future and they set up a constitution that can be ammended and a Government that can change as the nation and the culture changes. This is the saving grace for the future of the United States and one of the reasons why I consider myself greatly blessed to be born here.

I don't think the USA is a bad nation. I do think that the vast majority of the American public has chosen to be stupid and ignorant as hell. In this day in age with the Internet, anything is at our fingertips. However, many still choose to be ignorant of some many important key issues. Meanwhile, that same lot wants to get all rared up over issues that generally don't affect the majority like stem cell research, same-sex marriage, the fate of one person on life support (Terry Shavio), and claims of morality. Idiocracy.

America, to me, is neither good nor bad---it just is. Are we a force a good of in the world? I'm not sure. Overall I'd say yes, but recently I'd say no. But whenever something bad happens in the world, it is usually to America that the world turns. And America always delivers. We have our faults, but I do not see those faults as placing us into a bad category. America is its citizens, and to categorize us as bad would be to identify our citizens as bad, and I don't believe we're bad.

As someone who has worked in thrid world countries, I think it's kind of dumb to marginalize evil exploitive corporations as American. Trust me, the English, the Germans, the Japanese, et al, are all just as good at it. Also, exploitation is a pretty strong word. those exploited workers typically live better than their peers which is why it is possible to exploit them in the first place. It's not like corporations are taking over world governments and enslaving their people. Your problem in this case is with world socio-economics and politics. It's a bigger issue than just saying the US sucks.

I'm not going to get into the rest but I do think people have an extremely narrow view of things and I encourage you all to actually get out and see the world and when you are done come back and form some opinions.

I chose bad.

The way that religious extremists/fanatics think that the Bible should be the source of all legislated morals really drags this country down. I'm sorry, but you can't legislate morality. If you want that kind of a system, go live in Saudi Arabia.

There aren't a lot of redeeming qualities about Americans, these days.

I will say this. Its interesting to look back on past civilaztions such as Babylon and the Roman Empire which had the same qualities and characteristics of today's United States. In fact our free society an government system was based off of ancient Babylon. We look back at these societies as "wicked" or evil" today but back in those days, those societies were looked up to in a very positivley light like the United States is today. After about 3,000 years when the United States exist no more, I wonder how the world will look back at our society?

America is a great country. Certainly there are aspects of American life I could do without (obnoxious popular culture, closed-minded fanatics on BOTH sides, racists, etc), but if you take this country as a whole, it is good and its people are honest, hardworking, and generous. Of course, there are lots of things that the US government or US-based corporations do that I find absolutely deplorable, but it doesn't mean that the USA is an evil force in the world. I'm tired of America-bashing. More opportunity exists here for the individual than anywhere else in the world IMO. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Historians do point out that ancient empire's faults but at the same time admire the empire for the incredible acheivements that are still felt to this day. I would not mind if 3000 years from now the United States, for all the good and bad it as done and has yet to do, is viewed in same light as the Roman Empire by the people in that future time.

I will say this. Its interesting to look back on past civilaztions such as Babylon and the Roman Empire which had the same qualities and characteristics of today's United States. In fact our free society an government system was based off of ancient Babylon. We look back at these societies as "wicked" or evil" today but back in those days, those societies were looked up to in a very positivley light like the United States is today. After about 3,000 years when the United States exist no more, I wonder how the world will look back at our society?

As someone who has worked in thrid world countries, I think it's kind of dumb to marginalize evil exploitive corporations as American. Trust me, the English, the Germans, the Japanese, et al, are all just as good at it. Also, exploitation is a pretty strong word. those exploited workers typically live better than their peers which is why it is possible to exploit them in the first place. It's not like corporations are taking over world governments and enslaving their people. Your problem in this case is with world socio-economics and politics. It's a bigger issue than just saying the US sucks.

I'm not going to get into the rest but I do think people have an extremely narrow view of things and I encourage you all to actually get out and see the world and when you are done come back and form some opinions.

You can't prove that the U.S is the greatest country in the world, so you can't just go out and say that. Many countries compare. Many countries give their children what they need to succeed, including a good education through college and health care so that they can succeed.

We argue whether we should teach intelligent design in classrooms and deny a college education and health care to millions because they can't afford it and aren't eligible for loans to pay for it.

Conservatives in this country push to close our borders and make us a one language-one culture country. We seek constitutional amendments to deny gays/lesbians the right to get married.

Yes, liberals are in a precarious situation: We are defined as hating America because we seek to defend and further the things that the supposed America "lovers" seek to destroy and end: The very things that make America what it is... the land of opportunity and equality... liberty and justice for all. Conservatives would make it Liberty and Justice for all*

There is nothing good about that.

America is a good country, but I am worried that it is becoming a monster.

*as long as you're white, speak english, were born here, wrap yourself in the flag, and worship God of the Bible and accept Jesus as your savior. Justice may be served in an unjust manner, especially if you are Muslim or look out of place.

^ more neo-con ya-ya. how in the hell can you bunch a large group like "liberals" into a box deemed "america haters" ? i know you tried to distance yourself from that statement, but, it's plain to see who's doing the characterizing. if you weren't as biased as you might think you are - maybe you'd see that some of the greatest examples of american patriots to have lived - call(ed) themselves liberals.

i agree that the united states is a great country, built by great people on great ideologies. it doesn't absolve us from bettering ourselves... and hopefully thats what ultimately conservatives and liberals alike strive for. IMO, it's essential to true patriotism.

Virtually all the things that our society touts as proving America's greatness began as liberal causes. Abolition of slavery, universal K-12 education, child labor laws, equal rights for minorities, women, and homosexuals, workers' rights, the ADA laws, and so on. All were advocated by liberals, and all were opposed by the conservatives of the day. Even the expression "liberals hate America" is itself un-American, in that it denies a segment of the American population the right to hold a certain opinion.

Spartan, the US does not give the most aid to the rest of the world. In absolute dollars, we are second to Japan. As a proportion of GDP, we are actually last among developed nations, and most of what we do give actaully goes to American companies working overseas. That the American right likes to tout the US as the world's most generous nation, while contributing a pittance of our total wealth, isn't lost on the rest of the world. It is a major reason we are seen as an arrogant country.

As for the topic question, the US is a basically good country with consistently bad leadership over the past several decades.

Virtually all the things that our society touts as proving America's greatness began as liberal causes. Abolition of slavery, universal K-12 education, child labor laws, equal rights for minorities, women, and homosexuals, workers' rights, the ADA laws, and so on. All were advocated by liberals, and all were opposed by the conservatives of the day. Even the expression "liberals hate America" is itself un-American, in that it denies a segment of the American population the right to hold a certain opinion.

Spartan, the US does not give the most aid to the rest of the world. In absolute dollars, we are second to Japan. As a proportion of GDP, we are actually last among developed nations, and most of what we do give actaully goes to American companies working overseas. That the American right likes to tout the US as the world's most generous nation, while contributing a pittance of our total wealth, isn't lost on the rest of the world. It is a major reason we are seen as an arrogant country.

As for the topic question, the US is a basically good country with consistently bad leadership over the past several decades.

Where to start? America is a liberal nation---or at least it was founded on liberal priniciples, and all the great social programs we take for granted were all liberal programs, like Gusterfell said. I say that as a proud liberal. Having said that, however, I do not think it's fair to characterize conservatives as being only concerned about white people and Christians.

Is America the greatest nation on earth? To me it is considering that it is my home. Of course I also think Georgia is the greatest state in this nation (with SC and NC tied for a close 2nd) because I live here. It's all perception really.

I will say this much: The USA is the only nation on earth that has as many different types of people living in the same area, with everyone feeling as though they have some hope at success. That is not evident in Europe, where many of the minorities are discriminated against and outsiders are made to feel like, well, outsiders. You know, the Muslim youth weren't burning down France last year because they thought the French were being nice to them. Where Muslim youth in that country have a 40% unemployment rate.

I will say this much: The USA is the only nation on earth that has as many different types of people living in the same area, with everyone feeling as though they have some hope at success. That is not evident in Europe, where many of the minorities are discriminated against and outsiders are made to feel like, well, outsiders. You know, the Muslim youth weren't burning down France last year because they thought the French were being nice to them. Where Muslim youth in that country have a 40% unemployment rate.

Archived