Will it Snow.... A lot?

atownrocks

The news and other weather sources have been saying that the BIG ONE might hit next week, in fact they said there are going to be sevral shots for the region to be impacted by a major winter storm. I know we got snow a last week but it did not last long at all. It's so hard to predict the weather in peidmont a differnce of 1 or 2 degrees can make a difference between a huge snow storm, a major ice storm, or just a cold rain.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weather reports have been bouncing back and forth between snow/no snow for tomorrow. My desktop weather widget says it will snow tomorrow, who knows. If we don't get a rash of snow storms next week we can probably kiss snow goodbye for the rest of the year.

The news and other weather sources have been saying that the BIG ONE might hit next week, in fact they said there are going to be sevral shots for the region to be impacted by a major winter storm. I know we got snow a last week but it did not last long at all. It's so hard to predict the weather in peidmont a differnce of 1 or 2 degrees can make a difference between a huge snow storm, a major ice storm, or just a cold rain.

I am going to go out on a limb and say we get Snow on Thursday of next week. Maybe its a trace, maybe a foot, but longer range models are pointing to snow/wintry mix by the latter half of next week.

As for Tuesday, I think we will see a cold rain. JMO.

A2

Right now, all the computer models are bouncing all over the place for the system next tuesday. One says 60 plus degrees with rain, one is down the middle, with a cold to chilly rain....then one says ice. Right now at least....snow does not look likely. But it is still five days away. The setup is very classic though.....things could change!

If it's going to be cold it might as will snow, rain is boring but snow is awesome.

I wouldn't say that. -_- Rain is a great time for some of us to make the trek to the local Caribou Coffee and get some reading time in. Sometimes I wish we had as much rain as Seattle does.

Ah, there are few things more entertaining in life than the "Will it snow in Charlotte?" game that occurs here every winter whenever there's the slightest question about what sort of precipitation will fall. As a native of the area, I can tell you it's been going on for as far back as I can remember (and I'm old :)). This is the time of year that our local meteorologists really earn their paychecks, because trying to predict winter precipitation in the Charlotte region is notoriously tricky. More often than not, we sit directly on the borderline between ice/snow and cold nasty rain. As a rule, it's always best to take any forecast for frozen precip in Charlotte with a LARGE dose of skepticism, especially when they're talking about several days out.

Personally, I'd like to see a really good snow, if for no other reason than I love hearing the "titles" the local TV news stations give every winter weather episode, with specially-made graphics to match. They always sound like some milkshake concoction at Dairy Queen. "Icy Blast 2007" "Winter Blitz" "Carolina Whiteout" :lol:

Ah, there are few things more entertaining in life than the "Will it snow in Charlotte?" game that occurs here every winter whenever there's the slightest question about what sort of precipitation will fall. As a native of the area, I can tell you it's been going on for as far back as I can remember (and I'm old :)). This is the time of year that our local meteorologists really earn their paychecks, because trying to predict winter precipitation in the Charlotte region is notoriously tricky. More often than not, we sit directly on the borderline between ice/snow and cold nasty rain. As a rule, it's always best to take any forecast for frozen precip in Charlotte with a LARGE dose of skepticism, especially when they're talking about several days out.

Personally, I'd like to see a really good snow, if for no other reason than I love hearing the "titles" the local TV news stations give every winter weather episode, with specially-made graphics to match. They always sound like some milkshake concoction at Dairy Queen. "Icy Blast 2007" "Winter Blitz" "Carolina Whiteout" :lol:

Current forecast is calling for a cold air wedge to form Tuesday night, while the precipitation moves out. Hence the possibility of a rain-to-frozen transition taking place. Just depends how quickly it turns cold and the depth of cold air. It could change to snow (what remains falling) Wednesday morning.

Current forecast is calling for a cold air wedge to form Tuesday night, while the precipitation moves out. Hence the possibility of a rain-to-frozen transition taking place. Just depends how quickly it turns cold and the depth of cold air. It could change to snow (what remains falling) Wednesday morning.

The 7 day GFS is forecasting a cold week followed by moisture moving in next weekend. So we may get one more chance (and perhaps a better one) next week than on Tuesday night.

As usual, Charlotte is right on the edge. Attached is the precip forecast for 4:00pm next Sunday.

Right now I think this could be a better setup. It looks like snow will be following this scenario in Tennesee and northern Alabama, so it could very well drag it's way in during the night.

post-4915-1171211404_thumb.jpg

post-4915-1171211404_thumb.jpg

I am going to go out on a limb and say we get Snow on Thursday of next week. Maybe its a trace, maybe a foot, but longer range models are pointing to snow/wintry mix by the latter half of next week.

As for Tuesday, I think we will see a cold rain. JMO.

A2

From NOAA discussion: "Models continue to indicate that [a late Saturday] feature will tap into a little bit of Gulf moisture before racing off the atlantic coast. this mainly appears to be a light snow maker for the mtns Saturday and Saturday night. However... wouldn/t be surprised to see some flurries and/or light rain showers east of the mtns ...esp during the afternoon."

My take: The GFS has been holding to this scenario for a couple of days now, so I think some snow in the mountains is likely. The NAM should have Saturday within it's 80 hour range tomorrow, and that will give some better insight into things.

Currently they're willing to put a 20% chance of snow down for Knoxville. So the thing to watch is if they budge things east into the foothill cities like Morganton and Hickory. Perhaps a coating of snow here, maybe a half inch, could come out of this, if a little more Gulf moisture is drawn up.

Well we were partially right. The timing was right for Snow in the Carolinas, but this time due to limited moisture there will only be Mountain Snows with a stray snow flurry in the metro. Good news for me is that I am going to Blowing Rock this weekend so my call works out for those heading up the road. There are currently WinterStorm Warnings up and down the spine of the Appalachains with upwards of 6 inches expexted at the higher elevations along the TN/NC border.

Thanks goodness for Three day weekends! :D

A2

^^^Just got back from the High Country and can confirm that a ton of Snow fell in some localized spots. Mainly in the usual areas like Banner Elk, Seven Devils and most of the Ski Resorts.

Boone/Blowing Rock picked up about two inches. However, Beech and Sugar both picked up over 7".

The big winner:

Just accross the NC/TN border a Beast of a knob, called Roan Mountain picked up over a foot of the white stuff, with drifts double that.

What was wild is that in Mitchell country there was just about an inch or so. It was a very localized snow, with the favored spots really picking up big and surrounding areas not fairing as well. That is usually par for the course in the Mountains though.

All in all it was a great time, great powder, and great fun all in a little over an hour and 15 minute drive from our wonderful city. Isn't Charlotte Grand? :)

A2

The big winner:

Just accross the NC/TN border a Beast of a knob, called Roan Mountain picked up over a foot of the white stuff, with drifts double that.

What was wild is that in Mitchell country there was just about an inch or so. It was a very localized snow, with the favored spots really picking up big and surrounding areas not fairing as well. That is usually par for the course in the Mountains though.

A2

Archived